Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Our weber works the same way. Great idea but probably not smart in a trailer that is bouncing up and down the road. Might work if you could lock it and then unlock when parked to see how much propane you have. Hot water on side of tank is the best indicator and the cheapest.

29RK

06 Duramax
Old 10-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

I was about to give up hope. The first tank HAD to be empty, I thought! No cold spot on the bottom. Coming home from this week's trip, the fridge was on gas. When I got home, there was the red indicator, clear as a bell! Flipped the lever to the #2 tank, and will refill #1 tomorrow. The system worked just like it should. BTW, in order to operate, BOTH tank valves have to be open. It is the pressure of the second tank that pushes the internal flipper when the first tank no longer has pressure.
Dalzell SC
Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Marty, thanks for that post. Now I know that the red indicator will be obvious!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
Marty, thanks for that post. Now I know that the red indicator will be obvious!
You have the same apprehension I had. It looked mostly black, but I could see a corner, or an edge of red in the bottom. That is actually the top edge of the flag. When it comes up, the glass is all red, no black to see. As I manually flipped the lever to #2 slowly, I saw the red flag lower to it's regular position. I'm in good shape now, and I can use this system without having to buy questionable gadgets.
Dalzell SC
Old 10-31-2015, 05:18 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I was about to give up hope. The first tank HAD to be empty, I thought! No cold spot on the bottom. Coming home from this week's trip, the fridge was on gas. When I got home, there was the red indicator, clear as a bell! Flipped the lever to the #2 tank, and will refill #1 tomorrow. The system worked just like it should. BTW, in order to operate, BOTH tank valves have to be open. It is the pressure of the second tank that pushes the internal flipper when the first tank no longer has pressure.

Do they all work like that? I was working with both tanks open and ended up with two empty tanks more than once. I checked every week (camping for three months) by running the gas hot water, turning off one tank, then on, then the other tank. If the flame went out it meant one of the tanks was empty. We still ran out in both tanks.

Now hubby insists we have only one tank open at a time so we know for sure when we have an empty tank. It is very frustrating because you don't want to run out in the middle of cooking something in the oven.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Old 10-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #26
Site Team

I have been trying to tell you guys that it works just the way Marty discribed it.
Give it a chance.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

I will try this winter. I will also use my friend's suggestion of a laser thermometer to check the level. I would really like to keep both tanks open.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Loneoak, I read about it in the supplied owners manual. Yes, it was one of many in the big package. Yours might be faulty. Perhaps yours leaks internally and doesn't seal off one side while operating the other. The good news is that they are not expensive, and are on sale right now at CW, about 30% off! It might be cheaper to just replace it than to have someone troubleshoot the old one. Propane Auto Changeover Two-Stage Regulator - Mr. Heater F273766 - Propane Accessories - Camping World
Dalzell SC
Old 10-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

Thanks, Marty. We will look into this.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Do they all work like that? I was working with both tanks open and ended up with two empty tanks more than once. I checked every week (camping for three months) by running the gas hot water, turning off one tank, then on, then the other tank. If the flame went out it meant one of the tanks was empty. We still ran out in both tanks.

Now hubby insists we have only one tank open at a time so we know for sure when we have an empty tank. It is very frustrating because you don't want to run out in the middle of cooking something in the oven.
I choose to keep the valve closed on one tank so I know when one goes empty. You could always turn both on when using the oven then off again when done.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

Yes, that is definitely an option.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #32
Family Vacation Member

X2...I mentioned this in the very beginning as well... As far as agreeing with Loyd
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
Old 11-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Why not just get the automatic switchover unit? Mine came with it and if pointed to one tank it will automatically switch over to the full one when you run out and then light up as red I do believe letting you know that one is empty. Then flip the switch to the other side letting it turn to the white color and then fill up your empty. If pointed down it runs both tanks at the same time, leaving you no reserve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
X2
That is exactly the way it's suppose to work guys.
Mine has been functioning that way for almost 8 years now. It can't get any simpler. Don't try and make it complicated, it's not.

Why are you guys insisting on making this so complicated? This isn't rocket science. If your valve isn't working the way we just described it, then it must be defective. Either replace it or get it replaced at a dealership. They're not very expensive. They were installed on our campers to eliminate just what you are doing/going thru.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #34
Full Time Camper

Agree with you Lloyd. Auto changeover has worked flawlessly on my last 5 trailers over 13 years. Tank runs out, auto switches to full tank, take the empty to fill & replace. Works as designed. Just have to take at look at status every so often. Easy.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #35
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn View Post
Agree with you Lloyd. Auto changeover has worked flawlessly on my last 5 trailers over 13 years. Tank runs out, auto switches to full tank, take the empty to fill & replace. Works as designed. Just have to take at look at status every so often. Easy.
They certainly do work as designed. I would just rather know when one goes empty vs having to check it or worse finding out after both go dry.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 11-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #36
Full Time Camper

Your concern is very well addressed and resolved in morphrider's earlier post.

I'm done with this.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 11-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #37
Site Team

This thread shows there are varied personal preferences.

....and I believe it has run it's course.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Closed Thread