Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Have been wanting to do this mod to our new fifth wheel and ran across this post on another website. Wanted to share with you all that may be wanting to do the same modification.

Getting ready to complete a new grill and setup for our camper. I wanted to be able to run off the trailer propane system and not have to carry around propane bottles. Needed to be portable and easy to set up. <BR itxtNodeId="235"><BR itxtNodeId="234">Looking at grills, there was one obvious choice, the Weber Q series. The reason for this is that this is the only grill I could find that has the regulator and the thermostat packaged individually. This allows you to remove the regulator and connect the trailer propane source directly to the grill.<BR itxtNodeId="233"><BR itxtNodeId="230">Used QD's and hoses to connect the whole thing together. Simple and easy to setup and take down.

Here are the close up pictures promised. First, the grill modification requires that you remove the regulator. First, remove the regulator mounting bracket and remove both the regulator and the flame adjustment knob as an assembly. The regulator is on really tight, so I had to put the entire assembly in a vise to allow me to apply enough torque to remove the regulator. Once off, you can reinstall the knob on the grill. I then installed a pigtail (I used fuel lines and clamps purchased from an auto parts supplier). You will also need some brass fittings and barbed connectors to allow you to connect the pigtail hose. I decided to install a pigtail to ensure the weight of the hoses and fitting would not stress the grill valve. <BR itxtNodeId="370"><BR itxtNodeId="369">One note: You need to buy the connectors as a set (both male and female) from Camping World. My experience is that if you purchase the male connector separately, they do not work with the female QD's.<BR itxtNodeId="368"><BR itxtNodeId="367"><BR itxtNodeId="365"><BR itxtNodeId="364"><BR itxtNodeId="362"><BR itxtNodeId="361">I also made up the regulator with a pigtail, just in case I need to use bottles someday.<BR itxtNodeId="360"><BR itxtNodeId="359"><BR itxtNodeId="357"><BR itxtNodeId="356">Starting back at the trailer connection, I made a QD Tee so I can run the grill and the Outback stove at the same time. Below in the Tee I made and the installation, I used QD's and brass fittings.<BR itxtNodeId="355"><BR itxtNodeId="354"><BR itxtNodeId="352"><BR itxtNodeId="351"><BR itxtNodeId="349"><BR itxtNodeId="348">I purchased a propane hose and installed a set of female QD's to hook to the stove and allow a hose connection to the grill. Again, used brass fittings as appropriate to allow installation of the QD's.<BR itxtNodeId="347"><BR itxtNodeId="346"><BR itxtNodeId="344"><BR itxtNodeId="343">Here is the hose installed.<BR itxtNodeId="342"><BR itxtNodeId="341"><BR itxtNodeId="339"><BR itxtNodeId="338">The final hose connection is the hose that came with my RVQ I bought a few years back (grill is long gone). This has a female QD on one end and a male nipple on the other. <BR itxtNodeId="337"><BR itxtNodeId="336"><BR itxtNodeId="334"><BR itxtNodeId="333"><BR itxtNodeId="229"><BR itxtNodeId="228">
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Good post...I am currently doing the same mod.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Camp chef sales the quick connect hose and some great grills. I love the cast iron grill and griddle they work great, i have the double burner Camp Chef.

2003 Ford F250

2012 Sahara

From Pigeon Forge TN

https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...9/DSC_0093.jpg
jim carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Nice.. This has been on my 'to do" list.. I have get moving on this.. I also have a weber q.. Love it..

Got a part number of the disconnects from camping world?
Fuel line hose work ok for propane?

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Are there any smaller grills that would be this easy to convert??

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
New Camper

Cuisinart Tabletop Portable BBQ/Grill

I converted one of these, piece of cake, works great.Edited by: partsman
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
New Camper

Currently have a Coleman RoadTrip LXE Grill. Through all my investigation, it appears that the RV quick disconnects can not be used in place of the propane bottles. Many have posted on the Coleman site that the RV Quick Disconnect setups don provide enough propane pressure to the burners.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be so much better to hook up right off the quick disconnect.

2012 Ford F350 King Ranch w/6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
2013 Elevation 3912
Fla-Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I'm not familiar with the Coleman grill but you have to be able to remove the regulator from the grill. If you can do that then you should be able to connect to the RV's LP propane.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

some more info onthismod i did it last year and have a 20' line
http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=4759

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote