Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rear Storage to Exterior Kitchen mod

Hi Campers!
I was wondering if there is a fairly straightforward way to modify our rear exterior storage into an exterior kitchen? I know a lot of the "fancier" models come with that space outfitted as a kitchen, just wondering if there was a way to upgrade ours...would love to have a little wet bar at the very least, if not a fully functioning kitchen!

Thanks in advance.
MamaBidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Where there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t know what your exterior storage looks like! Maybe you could provide us with a picture of the area your wanting to modify. If you have the room; should be as easy as running water lines and tapping into your drain lines for drainage. As far as a fridge; tapping into an power source and adding an outlet for a fridge etc. show us a picture of where you want to do this.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Where there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t know what your exterior storage looks like! Maybe you could provide us with a picture of the area your wanting to modify. If you have the room; should be as easy as running water lines and tapping into your drain lines for drainage. As far as a fridge; tapping into an power source and adding an outlet for a fridge etc. show us a picture of where you want to do this.
Thanks Papa-T! Here are some photos of the area in question. There is a light already there, so power shouldn't be an issue...in theory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4830.JPG (96.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg POWER.JPG (61.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Depth.jpg (908.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Anything is possible really, But I think to answer your question I think you need consider what type of kitchen you are looking for? What type of options are you looking to install?

If you go to install a mini fridge you will require a 110v power outlet, at first glance it appears that you might only have 12v back there. But look around the coach, is there an outlet on a nearby inside wall you might be able to tap into? or perhaps any wiring under the coach?

If you want a Kitchen Sink of sorts you will need to tap into a water line, thankfully with today's PEX parts being so readily available in most home stores you should not have any problems with that. You also might consider the drain in the sink, some larger outside kitchens have a drain hose that dumps into the grey water system, and some I've seen dump into some type of bucket which requires you to dump it
Something else to consider if the sink sounds too much, my little mini kitchen on my rig doesn't have a sink but it does have a little springy hose with a sprayer on the end of it, it's just a quick connect fitting that's near the kitchen and it allows me to hose off dishware when we are done with it outside.

A stove or grill is another matter to consider, if you want those would would have to make a shelf or drawer to put the grill/stove out on, you definitely don't want either of those inside a compartment on your rig. Instead of a drawer You might be able to mount a bracket on the edge of the kitchen space and hang a stove or grill from the side ( like other rigs typically offer).

Some units have propane hookups near the rear of the camper so you can connect a grill into it so you might be able to check for that and leverage it for your kitchen area.

Depending on the depth of the compartment I'm betting your can pull off something basic like this...

https://freshoom.net/wp-content/uplo...de-kitchen.jpg
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by priest6479 View Post
Anything is possible really, But I think to answer your question I think you need consider what type of kitchen you are looking for? What type of options are you looking to install?

Depending on the depth of the compartment I'm betting your can pull off something basic like this...

https://freshoom.net/wp-content/uplo...de-kitchen.jpg
True confessions...we really just want to set up an outdoor bar...not a full kitchen. A place to plug in a fridge and blender...maybe store the fancy martini glasses
Old 07-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Ahhh, Sweet! Then that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Sounds like finding 120v power in that area would be your biggest challenge. Like I mentioned, check the underbelly or the room on the opposite side of the wall, you might be closer to power than you think.

You can probably find some shallow cabinets and a some counter-top from a local home store that might accomplish a simple bar top and some storage as well.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote