Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I need to get into the underbelly of by 32BL. From what I understand, once you remove the material it is very difficult to get the tension back the same as it was. I think I have read somewhere that people have replaced the material with something rigid. IIRC something like coroplast. Has any one done this or heard of anything like that?

whereRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Here's a link that might have your answer.
http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=1645

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I did this a few yrs ago, used 8 mm thick Coroplast. I used 4x8 sheets and cut they as required. In most cases, I was able to put the joints on crossmembers, but in one or two places I added 1 inch square aluminum tubing at a joint. I re-used the factory strips to secure the sides. Coroplast is ez to cut and bend around the sewer pipes as needed.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Both Larry and Lonnie have done this mod as well. It occurred to me as read through the old post I never put up pictures of the finished product.

you can see where I screwed into the cross-member where possible In addition where there was not a member I added a small piece of square aluminum in top of the I-Beam flanges for extra support and screwed into that

around the sewer pipe

Under the water tank
We used 4MM Coroplast and the joints are plastic lattice edge form Lowes We tried some paneling joints but it was to hard to get the coroplast into it. The lattice has worked well so far. If you find something else that connects them better please let everyone know. You can see We still have not cut the entryway to the slide motors or to the dump valves this is simply because We have not needed to get in there they are framed out with square aluminum tube . 1 thing I noticed is Crossroads screwed into the base of the I-Beam but never the web so I avoided this as well. There are several screws in the cross-members so I did not feel that a few more would cause any damage.
Good Luck and Happy Camping

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have taken off my underbelly and put it back up a few times with no problems. You just have to work your way from one end to the other. What I did to pull it tight again is every few feet or so, depending on what it went around, I would put Gorilla tape on the underside of the material and then pull it tight.

So one side I would just screw it back down then the other side use the Gorila tape to pull it tight to the other side. I would use the moulding that was used originally and just screw right over the tape then rip if off so that it was only under the moulding.

It worked well doing it this way and went pretty quick.

Also I numbered the mouldings so that I knew what order they went back onto the trailer.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561
I have taken off my underbelly and put it back up a few times with no problems. You just have to work your way from one end to the other. What I did to pull it tight again is every few feet or so, depending on what it went around, I would put Gorilla tape on the underside of the material and then pull it tight.

So one side I would just screw it back down then the other side use the Gorila tape to pull it tight to the other side. I would use the moulding that was used originally and just screw right over the tape then rip if off so that it was only under the moulding.

It worked well doing it this way and went pretty quick.

Also I numbered the mouldings so that I knew what order they went back onto the trailer.
X2 I used Gorila tape with very good results as described above. At the very front I used double sided carpet tape between the under belly material and trailer frame to help seal against water intursion
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

rcflyer that reminds me, I went to HD and bought some of their Black mastic and use a caulk gun on the front side of mine and around all the lines that went into the underbelly. I forget the name of it but it was pretty pricey at about 7-8 dollars a tube. It seemed to have the same properties that the original silicone had down there because I remeber it was pretty rubbery stuff and I had to take the belly off a second time and the matick I used was just as rubbery as the original. You can call crossroads and talk to Randy Mishler and he will tell you the stuff to use. I think thats what I did.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone. My underbelly cover will be coming off as soon as weather permits.

whereRwe is offline   Reply With Quote