Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

SPARE TIRE LIFT REPLACED.

Last fall Iover tightened my spare tire lift. Therewere more plastic parts on the ground than I care to glue together.

We purchased a new style lift from Crossroads and bolted it in place; then added a safety chain.

The old lift with its black plastic cable guide broken and missing.

The new lift mounts perpendicular and offset to the old unit. There is no cable guide. The cable hangs directly off of the pulley. If you drill the holes in-line then the lowering receiver will not be facing straight forward. The lowering crank handle still fits fine.

I plugged the old holes with 1/4" carriage bolts and then carpeted the floor.

New style lift bolted up. I employed large fender washers under the bolt heads.The carriage thatis positionedinto the hub to lift the wheelfits differently than the old.. it does not snap into the hub hole.

The safety chain will hopefully stop the spare tire from falling out if the lift fails. The heavy duty liftrings were salvaged from the top of and old electrical control panel. The nut and bolt in the picture will be replaced with a padlock. The front chain slips out of the big metal loop and then the rear loophangs out of the way.

The position of the lift rings are over the top of the tire. (smaller than the tire) So,hopefully the tire will have a hard time squeezing out from between the chains.

Remember: Murphy's Law.

Edited by: Kamper Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Nice post! The new unit certainly looks more durable than the old one.I got to put this one on my "to do" list.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lonnie,

Thank you.

Yes. The new style Tire Lift seems to be much better constructed.

This is my idea of cheap insurance against aspare tirefalling from its mount and taking out the RV plumbing, damaging an axle or injuring others.

Kamper Dave
Old 04-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Just a reminder for those of you who use a tire service to perform tire replacement work on the road (or in a garage). Be sure to tell them NOT to use an impact wrench to crank the tire down or up. That will kill the holder in short order. Use only hand power to turn the crank up or down.

Don't ask how I know this.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote