Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Ok lets face facts, the mechanical thermostat in most RV's leaves a lot to be desired! The temperature variation is very wide. I have read on other forums that many people have replaced their thermostat with an electronic digital model by Hunter. They have bought these at Wal-Mart and say they work great. Not just any digital model will work. It has to be a battery powered model like Model 49999B or 42995. Do a google search on RV thermostat replacement and you will find very good write ups on how to do it. I'm going to Wally today and see what they have.

Has anyone tried this on a Cruiser 5th wheel??
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

done that...you may have to add a mini swith in order to have the A/C fan work both on high and low.
Do a search in here, as Hunter11 has posted a step by step thread on the addition of the switch and the installation.

Edited by: seabee
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Other thermostats than the Hunter model mentioned will work just fine. I've had a Honeywell in my unit for several years with no problems. I have also installed other Hunter models for some friends with no problems and they are pleased with the system. I have used the programable type which have a manual override if desired. Anyone familiar with the control system can make many thermostats work. I have not found any that does not require the high speed cool switch addition though. Do not rely on the exisitng units color coded wiring to be as in some of the threads mentioned! I have found several different color codes and always check for myself.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We have the Duo-Therm Comfort Control digital thermostat that came installed with our trailer. Having used it for two winters and one summer we have no complaints. Nice LCD display and push buttons to control everything. One of the best features is the automatic fan speed control when using A/C. Above 8 degrees offset fan on hi, 4 - 8 degree offset fan on medium, 0-4 degree offset fan on low speed. As long as temp stays within 0-4 degree offset as A/C cycles, fan only runs in low speed and is much quieter.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My old thermostat was mounted on outside wall of interainment center. I drilled a small hole through to inside (behind TV), pulled two wires, mounted the old thermostat, used it for the high and low fanswitch. Didn't use toggle.
firefighter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I also replaced the mechanical unit with a digital Honeywell. It was a very simple upgrade with some of the useful tips related to the colour coding of the wires available on this forum as well as elsewhere on the internet. As we do not run the AC often, and never on the low fan setting, i didn't worry about the installing the toggle.
Just make sure you carry a spare set of batteries with you at all times. You never know when the batteries in the thermostat will fail, leaving you either cold or hot (depending on how far north or south you are camping).
The trailer definitely keeps a more constant temperature with this setup.
Good luck.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Just installed the Hunter thermostat and followed the directions found on this forum. Seems to work great. However I cannot tell if the A/C compressor is working because it is so cold outside. When I flip the switch to thecool position, the fan comes on but the air is no colder than outside air. Of course it is cold outside (40's today) so the compressor may not have any effect. Guess I will find out when the weather gets warmer. The dual speed switch I put on is working fine.Edited by: Pull Dog
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Now that warmer weather is here I tried the A/C yesterday with the new digital thermostat. The compressor works fine and the unit cools very well. On my initial check out I could not tell if the compressor was functioning because the outside temperature was in the 40's. Very pleased with this upgrade!!!! All for $20.

Go here for a great easy to follow color diagram which was identical to my 06 Cruiser 5th wheel

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html