Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

rodent proofing

Put my new crossroads sunset trail 29ss at the deer lease last weekend. I'm worried about mice, rats, or even snakes getting in after awhile as our camp is right next to an old house, barn and junk yard almost.

I went through the majority of the camper shoving steel wool in the holes between the floor and underbelly then using expanding foam after the wool. There are still 2 GIANT holes in the rear of trailer where the water lines come through the floor and one where the furnace hoses come in thru the floor. These holes are way to large to use foam...Any advice? Also when I leave I want to be able to leave the slide out in the out position (trailer is under a steel cover) but I noticed there are 2 visible cracks on the sides near the floor where mice could get in...What could I put here to seal it off as foam will not work when wanting to slide it in and out?? Any other advice on places to seal or tricks you guys know of? I've heard of the dryer sheets, fresh cab and all that crap but I would rather have it sealed up so I don't even have to worry about that.
luke0872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I did the same process. I made some flat pieces of wood with a magnet that I place around my slide bar when the slide is out. I just need to remember to remove them to bring in the slides. You need to seal even the smallest hole. Anything bigger than 1/2" needs to be sealed. When you think you are done look some more!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We use pipe insulation tucked under the slide for keeping heat in, in the winter and cool in, in the summer. I think they'd get through that though.
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

if you put anything under your slide ...put a sticker on the switch to remind you to take it out when deciding to bring the slide in..

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I used this http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/pestblock/ to fill gaps and holes in our trailers. When the holes were to big to fill with foam I filled the hole with steel wool and then used some scrap plywood that I cut to cover as much of the hole as I could then foamed around the plywood. I haven't had a problem since. We tried the drier sheets and they don't work, peppermint oil on cotton balls works but needs to be refreshed every so often. I've been told that the fresh cab works too (it has peppermint oil in it). I've seen a product that can be sprayed under the trailer and along the frame rails that has a peppermint oil and some other products in it to keep mice and such out but it's not cheap and hard to find a service that can do it.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I use Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent in my Seville. I get it at Menard's on sale and buy several boxes when it goes on sale. I put in 4 packs at a time in the basement. You can really smell it when you open the door.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote