Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Sealing the shower surround

We have a 2016 Hill Country 26RB (looks like the ST Grand Reserve 26RB). The shower surround is secured at the top by a couple of screws and some decorative buttons to hide those screws.

This setup creates gaps between the surround and the interior walls of the bathroom. Some of these gaps are 1/2 inch deep or so and several inches wide. Also, the shower surrounds ends about four inches or so below the roof so that area is not protected at all.

I'm somewhat concerned that humidity will condense on the wall above the shower or water will be splashed up there while showering and then drip down the wall and behind the shower surround. I see no goodness coming from this situation where there is moisture trapped in that area.

Should this shower surround have been attached at the top to the interior wall using some sort of adhesive and then moisture sealed or is this the normal installation?

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I am curious to see the reply's as well. We purchased our 240BH a month ago and this was one of the first things that caught my eye inside. I was thinking about just using a bunch of caulk to fill all of the gaps around the top and sides of the surround to keep the water from leaking down in behind it. Fortunately some of the bigger gaps on ours is only about a quarter of an inch so I am hoping the caulk will be the cheapest/easiest solution.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I had a friend recommend gluing the top of the surround to the wall by using an industrial glue gun. After than, a good sealant that is resistant to moisture and heat can be used around the edges.

That may be a good idea but I'm hoping someone who has addressed this issue will post what they did and how they liked the results.

Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

My shower was sealed at the top but had a wide gap between the bottom pan and the walls. I filled it with sealant within the first month. It is holding up well.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

My shower surround is caulked along the top. The sides are not caulked, but they are below the glass walls anyway. There are no significant gaps along the sides either. The gap between the surround and the shower pan does not need caulk, there is a lip, about 1 inch wide, used to secure the shower pan to the trailer walls that the surround covers. Any water splashing into that gap will just drain back into the shower pan.

My trailer is over 5 yrs old, the shower gets used a lot and we rarely use the fan to remove excess moisture, but everything is fine. Even have an access panel in the bedroom for access to the shower plumbing that I check on occasion.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

X2 on not sealing the bottom. It leaves room for moisture to escape in case it somehow gets behind the wall.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I installed a good bead of Gorilla Glue around the top of the shower surround, between the surround and the interior wall. Seems to be sticking very nicely.

Will let that sit overnight and check it in the morning. Will add more glue if needed then let that cure for a few days before putting a good waterproof sealant at the top of the surround.

This little unit become our office in the next couple of weeks so hope this prevents any water issues with the shower.