Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
New Camper

Solar power

I’m looking into going solar but my question is can the none walkable roof handle the solar panels. I plan on having maybe 4 panels. I have a 2018 Sunset trails super Lite Has anyone tried this on a super lite Randy in sunny Southern California. Thanks
Sunset trails Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Team

The panels them selves are not very heavy. The problem of getting up there to install might prove to be the issue. Also, if you decide to go ahead with installing them, I would suggest you make sure you anchor them to the rafters, not just to the roof.

They also have the stick on panels. I'm not familiar with those and not sure just how well they have worked out for people. I have heard it said that laying tight up against the roof, they can't get rid of the the heat. That's where the traditional panel has the advantage being up off the roof with a mounting bracket.
Good luck with it if you proceed.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
New Camper

Solar

Lloyd thanks for your input on this. I been researching this and and what I’m reading the flexible panels don’t last more then two years because of over heating. Yes diffently will anchor them to the rafters now as I understand to do any work on the roof I can use play wood to walk on to do this correct?
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Site Team

Different ones have stated they have used plywood to span the rafters. Which should give added strength to the roof. You would need two pieces.

If it were me, I would add something to one side of the plywood to maybe help in the prevention of it slipping. That roof can get pretty slippery at times.
Some have used carpeting. I would consider (scoot guard) if I was to do it, and put the carpet on top of the plywood to kneel on.

Let us know how the project goes.

PS.
How big of a battery bank are you/or can you install? That is a pretty good size array you are talking about. You probably already know, you have to have some place to store all the electric that is going to be generated.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
New Camper

Again thanks for your advice on getting around on the roof. Well I’m planning on starting out with 2 200 amp hrs lithium batteries in parallel that will give me 400 amp hours to start with. I decided to go ahead and spend to money to be able to use all of the charge in the batteries. For the electronics I will have to give up some of my storage in the front of the trailer. I have a shell on my truck, it all should work out. Thanks again Lloyd and yes I will let you know how it turns out when I get it all done.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Site Team

I've never payed any attention before on lithium batteries.
HOLY SMOKES!!
Are those things really that expensive? $2000.00?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
New Camper

Yes they are. The good thing about them is you have 100% of use of the charge and the batteries weigh about a 1/3 of what acid or gel batteries weigh. You also have a 3000 charge cycles versus 300 hundred on acid or gel. Most manufacturers have a really good warranty also, some up to 10 years. My wife and I are getting ready to retire in about two years getting everything ready for off grid.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
New Camper

My solar setup

An option that the dealer used when I bought my used Sunset Trails RB250 was to install the solar panel with fairly long pieces of aluminum angle stock so they could secure it to multiple roof rafters. They installed pretty much a 320 watt home solar panel and an 2000 watt inverter along with the 2ea 6 volt batteries I already had. My original plan was 4ea 6 volt batteries for boondocking but the configuration in the passthrough and the labor to do it wasnt as cost effective as a generator. I wanted the ability to do everything in the trailer except the A/C but after tons of research I'm glad it didnt work out. Now I'm just going the generator route in case we dry camp and its hot because we will need enough power to run the 15K BTU A/C. The solar system works great and wth the size of the panel in full sun it replenishes the batteries pretty quickly.
2016 F-150 Crewcab FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2 1/2 leveling kit, 33" Goodyear Duratracs with Raptor rims, MBRP 4" exhaust, SCT tuner, Airlift airbags with wireless compressor and Snugtop high-top camper shell
sandiegosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote