Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
New Camper

My Zinger stays at a campground permanently. I only make it to the campground on weekends so it's unused 5 days out of the week. My question is I would like to save some power on electricity. Is it feasible to use solar power + a battery conditioner to trickle charge a bank of batteries to remove myself from the grid?

Does the standard inverter that comes with the trailer power everything inside the trailer when running off battery power?

How many batteries would I need for 2 days of average usage?

MrOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I had a Bounder Motor home that had a solar panel mounted to the roof air - it would keep the batteries charged.
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The trailers come with a converter. Converts 120v a-c to 12 volt dc to run lights, furnace, refrige on gas, and water heater on gas and charge battery. Does not supply power for air conditioner, microwave, wall receptacles or anything else that needs 120v a-c.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
New Camper

Gotcha, so I would need a relatively powerfultrue sine wave inverter as part of this setup. This project would get costly quick with 6 marine batteries, inverter, solar panels, charger. Not to mention the various wiring. Oh well, thanks for the quick reply though, Maybe I'm just better off saving some money on the electric bill by switching the fridge over to gas.
MrOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

On our last unit we had a solar panel, smart switch and 3000w inverter. 2x6v golf cart batteries and never had any issues. About $1,800 to install. Forget using AC unless you have a generator.
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote