Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

speaker upgrades

Just picked up a Sunset Trail 270bh, the indoor and outdoor speakers are less than impressive.

Anyone upgrade theirs? If so what brand/model and anything to be concerned with on the exterior ones?

thanks
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

They look like standard auto speakers, not sure of size. Outside ones will need to be marine grade, then sealed up really well.
Honestly a good Bluetooth speaker would be money better spent.
2015 ST270BH
http://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
They look like standard auto speakers, not sure of size. Outside ones will need to be marine grade, then sealed up really well.
Honestly a good Bluetooth speaker would be money better spent.
Thanks for the reply, wish I had a shed big enough to hold this rig over the winter, it'd be fun to see how some of the trailer is put together and see what a guy can come up with.
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I agree. I'm trying to talk my wife into finding someplace like that and moving, so far no go.
2015 ST270BH
http://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Honestly, we found the speakers on our new 2017 lack luster, and used them once. Instead we use our "Jambox" all the time. Much better quality, and we can take it with us wherever we go. If you want impressive sound that can travel with you. I'd look into it.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Crossroads wired ours wrong so that both left channels play outside and both right channels play inside. Genius. It's at the dealer for warranty service right now. That's on the list.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Crossroads wired ours wrong so that both left channels play outside and both right channels play inside. Genius. It's at the dealer for warranty service right now. That's on the list.
I had a 30 minute conversation with the Customer service person yesterday about exactly the same issue. I only get stereo sound if I leave the doors open and stand in the threshold, otherwise I only get left channel inside and right channel outside. He said "it's got two speakers so it's stereo". I tried explaining the subtleties of Mono and Stereo to no avail. (At one point I considered I was being insensitive and this guy might only have one ear..)

Since they have installed four speakers, two inside and two outside, it would need an additional control, to split the two outputs from the head unit to four. He couldn't get his head around this.

I've told them monaural sound in the 21st century in any craft or vehicle is unacceptable and all they can do is blame Furrion.

Is this the tip of the iceberg, I'm beginning to wonder if buying a new Zinger was a mistake?.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
I had a 30 minute conversation with the Customer service person yesterday about exactly the same issue. I only get stereo sound if I leave the doors open and stand in the threshold, otherwise I only get left channel inside and right channel outside. He said "it's got two speakers so it's stereo". I tried explaining the subtleties of Mono and Stereo to no avail. (At one point I considered I was being insensitive and this guy might only have one ear..)

Since they have installed four speakers, two inside and two outside, it would need an additional control, to split the two outputs from the head unit to four. He couldn't get his head around this.

I've told them monaural sound in the 21st century in any craft or vehicle is unacceptable and all they can do is blame Furrion.

Is this the tip of the iceberg, I'm beginning to wonder if buying a new Zinger was a mistake?.
I guess we should be grateful they didn't install 5.1 surround systems with the TV.

My dealer got the approval to fix the stereo, but they haven't scheduled the work yet. It seems to me like it's going to be a doozy of a job, because they have to run an entirely new line from the head unit (in the garage of our toy hauler) all the way to the front outside wall. I don't know how you'd even get into that part of the wall. It would have been SO MUCH EASIER to do it right the first time.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The simple solution would be to supply a replacement Furrion unit with four outputs and hook the speaker connections you already have to them.

It's an obvious solution and saves messing with your existing wiring.

They just bought a bunch of the cheapest head units they could find.

What they shouldn't have done is installed four (moderator edit) speakers.....
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Mine is a nice Sony head unit. I don't have any complaints about that. And outdoor speakers are a must-have for families like ours who spend so much time boondocking. All my buddies have outdoor speakers and I've never seen another builder botch up the wiring like this. I had great speakers on my old trailer. Oh well.