Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

speaker upgrades

Just picked up a Sunset Trail 270bh, the indoor and outdoor speakers are less than impressive.

Anyone upgrade theirs? If so what brand/model and anything to be concerned with on the exterior ones?

thanks
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

They look like standard auto speakers, not sure of size. Outside ones will need to be marine grade, then sealed up really well.
Honestly a good Bluetooth speaker would be money better spent.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
They look like standard auto speakers, not sure of size. Outside ones will need to be marine grade, then sealed up really well.
Honestly a good Bluetooth speaker would be money better spent.
Thanks for the reply, wish I had a shed big enough to hold this rig over the winter, it'd be fun to see how some of the trailer is put together and see what a guy can come up with.
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I agree. I'm trying to talk my wife into finding someplace like that and moving, so far no go.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Honestly, we found the speakers on our new 2017 lack luster, and used them once. Instead we use our "Jambox" all the time. Much better quality, and we can take it with us wherever we go. If you want impressive sound that can travel with you. I'd look into it.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Crossroads wired ours wrong so that both left channels play outside and both right channels play inside. Genius. It's at the dealer for warranty service right now. That's on the list.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Crossroads wired ours wrong so that both left channels play outside and both right channels play inside. Genius. It's at the dealer for warranty service right now. That's on the list.
I had a 30 minute conversation with the Customer service person yesterday about exactly the same issue. I only get stereo sound if I leave the doors open and stand in the threshold, otherwise I only get left channel inside and right channel outside. He said "it's got two speakers so it's stereo". I tried explaining the subtleties of Mono and Stereo to no avail. (At one point I considered I was being insensitive and this guy might only have one ear..)

Since they have installed four speakers, two inside and two outside, it would need an additional control, to split the two outputs from the head unit to four. He couldn't get his head around this.

I've told them monaural sound in the 21st century in any craft or vehicle is unacceptable and all they can do is blame Furrion.

Is this the tip of the iceberg, I'm beginning to wonder if buying a new Zinger was a mistake?.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
I had a 30 minute conversation with the Customer service person yesterday about exactly the same issue. I only get stereo sound if I leave the doors open and stand in the threshold, otherwise I only get left channel inside and right channel outside. He said "it's got two speakers so it's stereo". I tried explaining the subtleties of Mono and Stereo to no avail. (At one point I considered I was being insensitive and this guy might only have one ear..)

Since they have installed four speakers, two inside and two outside, it would need an additional control, to split the two outputs from the head unit to four. He couldn't get his head around this.

I've told them monaural sound in the 21st century in any craft or vehicle is unacceptable and all they can do is blame Furrion.

Is this the tip of the iceberg, I'm beginning to wonder if buying a new Zinger was a mistake?.
I guess we should be grateful they didn't install 5.1 surround systems with the TV.

My dealer got the approval to fix the stereo, but they haven't scheduled the work yet. It seems to me like it's going to be a doozy of a job, because they have to run an entirely new line from the head unit (in the garage of our toy hauler) all the way to the front outside wall. I don't know how you'd even get into that part of the wall. It would have been SO MUCH EASIER to do it right the first time.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

The simple solution would be to supply a replacement Furrion unit with four outputs and hook the speaker connections you already have to them.

It's an obvious solution and saves messing with your existing wiring.

They just bought a bunch of the cheapest head units they could find.

What they shouldn't have done is installed four (moderator edit) speakers.....
Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Mine is a nice Sony head unit. I don't have any complaints about that. And outdoor speakers are a must-have for families like ours who spend so much time boondocking. All my buddies have outdoor speakers and I've never seen another builder botch up the wiring like this. I had great speakers on my old trailer. Oh well.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Dave , why could they just pull the stereo and change around the speaker wires there , they must all meet at the radio .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Dave , why could they just pull the stereo and change around the speaker wires there , they must all meet at the radio .
That was my thought originally. But instead of running two wires from the head unit to the speakers, they ran one wire and split it to power both outside speakers (and did the same thing inside). So there is one Left wire to the inside and it's split to run both indoor speakers and then one Right wire that runs to the outdoor speakers and splits off at the end. Unbelievable.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

What a bunch of boneheads that wire these things , obviously they do not have a stereo at home...or have no training in any electrical issues.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Mine is a nice Sony head unit. I don't have any complaints about that. And outdoor speakers are a must-have for families like ours who spend so much time boondocking. All my buddies have outdoor speakers and I've never seen another builder botch up the wiring like this. I had great speakers on my old trailer. Oh well.
Just to qualify this thread,

The Furrion unit that was installed in my Zinger has two outputs on the back, one for left and one for right.

If I set the balance in the middle, the outdoor speakers play the left channel, and the indoor the right.

Since not everyone at the campsite shares my taste in music, I run the balance to the extreme right to shut the outdoor speakers off. Which by definition means I'm only hearing the left channel. If the drummer happened to be on the right side of the band when they recorded the track I'm s**t out of luck.

I tried to explain that as wired this unit will never produce stereo sound 'in' my coach.

I know the fix is to rewire it to run only the inside speakers with a full stereo effect, and to isolate the outside ones, but since it's a brand new 2017 coach, that they supplied with outside speakers, they ought to work correctly, I think it's their responsibility to offer a solution and fix it at their cost.

Or am I being unreasonable ?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
Site Team

What does your dealer say? Does he have a solution or a promise to fix?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
Just to qualify this thread,

The Furrion unit that was installed in my Zinger has two outputs on the back, one for left and one for right.

If I set the balance in the middle, the outdoor speakers play the left channel, and the indoor the right.

Since not everyone at the campsite shares my taste in music, I run the balance to the extreme right to shut the outdoor speakers off. Which by definition means I'm only hearing the left channel. If the drummer happened to be on the right side of the band when they recorded the track I'm s**t out of luck.

I tried to explain that as wired this unit will never produce stereo sound 'in' my coach.

I know the fix is to rewire it to run only the inside speakers with a full stereo effect, and to isolate the outside ones, but since it's a brand new 2017 coach, that they supplied with outside speakers, they ought to work correctly, I think it's their responsibility to offer a solution and fix it at their cost.

Or am I being unreasonable ?
We'll be camping this weekend. I'm going to try messing with the settings and see if I can set it to Mono. If I can set it to Mono, then both L/R channels will play through all the speakers and I'll be temporarily placated.

The outdoor speakers are too close together for any real L/R separation anyway. Putting them so close together effectively creates Mono.

Fingers crossed.

And yes, I totally agree with you that switching off the outdoor speakers is the right thing to do when you have neighbors nearby. They don't need to hear what I'm playing.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
New Camper

You gotta be kidding me!

I am supposed to pick up my new 240BH this week. I had planned on upgrading the speakers so I came to this thread only to receive this shock!
I am hoping mine isn't like this.
CanonRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonRocks View Post
I am supposed to pick up my new 240BH this week. I had planned on upgrading the speakers so I came to this thread only to receive this shock!
I am hoping mine isn't like this.
If you do a thorough PDI when you pick it up, and it's like these on this thread, I would think you should be able to get it fixed on their nickel.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

I agree that the speakers are lackluster! I also agree that a good Bluetooth outdoor speaker works great for us. I would like to upgrade the inside speakers so when the inside dance party starts the sound is much better, lol.

But, we usually just use the bluetooth speaker inside as well.

I might also hook up a soundbar to the TV. Those speakers REALLY SUCK!
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

On a brand new RV I would want everything working.

My outdoor speakers on my previous Heartland park model worked for one season and they were high up and close together. Sounded terrible.

The outdoor speakers on my current Cruiser 5th wheel work great. I'm not a sound connoisseur. You won't find me listening for the nuances of vinyl over digital.

I went to the Bose outlet store and bought a Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker. Great sound from a speaker about the size of a pound of butter. I drop it in the cradle and it charges. I think it goes 6 or 7 hours on a charge. I can connect 4 or 6 devices to it including the sound system in the RV, phone, tablet or pc. Anything with Bluetooth. The sound is great. Another benefit is I can have it on the outside table or by the fire without having to play through the outside speakers and less bothersome to my neighbors.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote