Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
New Camper

Is there anybody out there who has any info to pass on regarding the size and type of speakers used in Zinger units, especially the 2008 year. Purchaced the unit last fall, and would like to do a upgrade on the sound system, both exterior, and interior speaker sets. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I am new to the forum and do not pick up my new 2013 Crossroads 300BH until next week, but I've been researching on sound system upgrades found that Crutchfield now carries RV/Marine audio systems by the same brand that is installed on my new 2013.

Here's the link.
http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/rv.html?showAll=N&nvpair=FFBrand|Concertone&am p;nvpair=FFCategory|[rank361950]RV+%26+Big+Rig+Truck

Alternatively, you can buy direct from Concertone here:
http://www.concertone.com/index.html

Concertone.com is an option because they do sell refurbished units, so you can save a few hundies on the head unit.

I don't endorse Crutchfield, but have purchased $1000's from them in the past and their prices are competitive and customer service is phenomenal.

The issue with standard marine and auto speakers is the depth. The speakers listed are either surface mount or only have a top-mount depth 1-1/2"

They do have a head unit (receiver, amp, dvd, usb input) and speakers from Concertone you can upgrade, but get out your wallet because the head unit is $700. The speakers may or may not be an upgrade, but the issue with standard marine and auto speakers you can get from any electronics store is the depth of the ceiling mounts. The
speakers listed on Crutchfield are either surface mount or only have a top-mount depth
1-1/2, so I assume that is about the max depth you can go into the ceiling of an trailer.

Not sure if the speakers listed would be considered an upgrade, but they do sell a separate subwoofer you can feed off that head unit which will add quite a bit of more low-end fidelity.

I didn't bite on the upgraded head unit because the extra watts per channel doesn't do much for me. I am working on installing a marine grade amp and speaker upgrade down the road. My unit comes with the ZX85 so Im going to try it out first before spending yet another $1,000 on speakers and head unit. I still hurting from the Propride hitch upgrade for $2400!

Edited by: mmuha
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks MMUHA for the information. I have a Clarion head unit to replace the stock Pyramid unit in my 2008 Zinger. I have also purchased amplifier, anda set of Polk marine grade speakers with a top depth of 1.1/8 inch for the exterior of the unit. Now I just purchaced the unit last fall, and it is currently in storage behind a wall of snow in the great white north of Canada so my access is limited. I believe the interior speakers in the unit are not in the ceiling, but in the panel above the couch in the slide out. I am not sure if they are a 6" x 9", or if they are a 6.5" design. I to have been researching Crutchfield Canada for systems, they have some speakers that I would be interested in for the interior, just not sure on the size yet. May have to do some panel removal when I can get access to find out for sure.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

That's good know that Polk has low profile speakers available. I may be looking into those myself, depending how I the new setup sounds.

Thanks for the info!

OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm interested in the same thing. I have the same hidden speakers in the overhead cabinets above the couch on the slide. I own a 2010 32QB. I'm certain ill update the Jensen head unit. It's a simple single DIN automotive unit.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
New Camper

I have finished the upgrade on the stereo unit in my Zinger 29db. I swaped out the Pyramid head unit for a Kenwood KDC 355 cd, usb deck for Ipod control. I then installed a 90 watt rms per channel Boss R2504 4 channel ampliferin one of thecupboards next to the head unit. Also in those two cupboards I installed two Polk DB651 speakers and made 7 inch cabnetsfor them for inside sound. With the cabnets it makes these speakers portable.By doing this I left the stock speakers that are installed in the cabnets, and just unhooked them in this setup, that way I did not have to tear apart the cabinet only drilling two holeson the inside for wiring. On the outside I replaced the stock speakers with a pair of Yamaha NSAW190 outdoor speakers which have mounts so you can take them down when not in use. The system is very nice and a tremendous upgradeover the stock system. The improvement is evident even at low volumes which it is played at most of the time. Cheers.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
New Camper

I confess that I was/am thinking about upgrading the stereo in my new camper, so I was curious what other people were doing. Definitely want to replace the existing head unit with something that has a removeable face. City ordinance prohibit us from parking our Z-1 at our home (unless we build a dedicated concrete pad - not in the budget) so I want to leave as little in the Z-1 as possible while it's not in use.

Z1derful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
New Camper

I was just out on my first trip with our new 26BH. The sound from the stock unit and speakers are okay, but far from great.

The biggest problem I had is that the DVD player in the factory installed Jensen unit plays only in black and white ! I'm waiting to see if there will be a warranty fix for it, but I'm still looking hard at some aftermarket options. There aren't many that are designed specifically for RV's.

I'm almost thinking that the best option may be one of the major brands (Clarion, Alpine, Kenwood) designed for automotive applications and replacing the Jensen with that.

I did see the Concertone, but upon further research, found that it's also made by the same group as Jensen...kinda want to stay away from it now.

pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljammer
I was just out on my first trip with our new 26BH.Â* The sound from the stock unit and speakers are okay, but far from great.

The biggest problem I had is that the DVD player in the factory installed Jensen unit plays only in black and white !Â* I'm waiting to see if there will be a warranty fix for it, but I'm still looking hard at some aftermarket options.Â* There aren't many that are designed specifically for RV's.

I'm almost thinking that the best option may be one of the major brands (Clarion, Alpine, Kenwood) designed for automotive applications and replacing the Jensen with that.

I did see the Concertone, but upon further research, found that it's also made by the same group as Jensen...kinda want to stay away from it now.

If it only plays in black and white it's because your tv has a shared comment/compost input and the tv is set on the wrong input. Go to your tv menu and change the input setting and you will have color
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljammer
I was just out on my first trip with our new 26BH. The sound from the stock unit and speakers are okay, but far from great.

The biggest problem I had is that the DVD player in the factory installed Jensen unit plays only in black and white ! I'm waiting to see if there will be a warranty fix for it, but I'm still looking hard at some aftermarket options. There aren't many that are designed specifically for RV's.

If it only plays in black and white it's because your tv has a shared comment/compost input and the tv is set on the wrong input. Go to your tv menu and change the input setting and you will have color
The first thing I tried doing was changing the input, but it fixed nothing. I also tried changing the settings in both the TV menu and the Jensen menu.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Is the yellow video cord from the Jensen pluged into the green input on your tv?
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote