Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728 View Post
I was dry camping next to a guy that also dry camping but couldn't get power to his 5th wheel. He was hooking his portable progressive surg. protector up to his generator and it would not let power through. Asked him if he had bonded the grd and neutral together, he wasn't sure what I was talking about. Generator hooked up directly would work. He didn't want to run it that way and use the surg. prot. Tried to explain to him how to make a plug but he wasn't sure about it. I was going to make him one, but then thought better about it. I did my own and feel confident in my work but if something was to happen, it goes from thanks for helping to you burnt up my trailer. Next day he went to home depot and came back with a 10 foot grounding rod and pounding it in the ground, someone had told him that would work. He ended up running generator without the surge protector.
Yep, the average person as no idea of the difference between bonding and grounding.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Jason
Great article, I added the site to my favorites....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Surge guard 34730 portable with over under at camping world for $229

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #24
New Camper

NorskeNY We're u at the richmond race
Funtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtime View Post
NorskeNY We're u at the richmond race
No - I was at the Watkins Glen vintage race. Listened to the Richmond race on the radio.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #26
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728 View Post
Next day he went to home depot and came back with a 10 foot grounding rod and pounding it in the ground, someone had told him that would work. He ended up running generator without the surge protector.
I'm Mike Sokol, author of the No~Shock~Zone article on generator Ground-Neutral bonding (and a lot others). Thanks for posting links to my articles here. One important thing to know about "ground" rods is that they don't actually "ground" your RV. That's correct... the earth itself is a pretty poor ground. It's real job is shunting lightning strikes to the earth.

All RVs need to have a Ground-Neutral Bond, which does NOT have to be "earthed" to operate correctly. Normally this G-N bond would be provided by the pedestal you're powered from. Or if you have an on-board generator with a transfer switch, then that's where the G-N bond happens. However, if you run a Honda or Yamaha portable generator, it has a "floating neutral". So you need to provide your own G-N bond for when it's powering your RV via the shore power cord. A simple $2 Edison plug with a wire between the Ground and Neutral screws is all it takes. And Progressive Industries has confirmed that this is the correct fix to allow their EMS products to operate properly from a portable generator.

Please let me know if that answers your questions as to why this works. And yes, this is all covered in my RV Electrical Safety book which is available in both Kindle and Paperback versions at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DWBD8

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

I stand corrected on using the generator with the PI Surge Protector. Previously I posted that I haven't tried the generator since I installed the PI Surge Protector. I just realized that last month I ran the generator for about an hour with the AC going to exercise the generator.

I didn't have any problems with the protector kicking out or chattering.

I have the Yamaha EF4500is generator. When the AC turns on the fan starts up and abt 15 sec later the compressor kicks in. If you are not paying attention you won't realize the load changed. True story, the first time I used the new generator another camper came over and we were talking about it. It was in the bed of the TV and he was on one side and I the other. He commented on how quiet it was and I told him the DW was going to turn on the AC in a moment and we'll see how it sounds under a load. In a few minutes she stuck her head out and I asked if she had turned on the AC. She said she had and it was running fine. We both just looked at each other and shook our heads. I guess we were talking too loud. Since then I have used it several times with the AC and it does change, but barely. Realize though that model doesn't have an economy mode and idle down like some do. It's a constant 2600 RPM.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
I stand corrected on using the generator with the PI Surge Protector. Previously I posted that I haven't tried the generator since I installed the PI Surge Protector. I just realized that last month I ran the generator for about an hour with the AC going to exercise the generator.

I didn't have any problems with the protector kicking out or chattering.

I have the Yamaha EF4500is generator. When the AC turns on the fan starts up and abt 15 sec later the compressor kicks in. If you are not paying attention you won't realize the load changed. True story, the first time I used the new generator another camper came over and we were talking about it. It was in the bed of the TV and he was on one side and I the other. He commented on how quiet it was and I told him the DW was going to turn on the AC in a moment and we'll see how it sounds under a load. In a few minutes she stuck her head out and I asked if she had turned on the AC. She said she had and it was running fine. We both just looked at each other and shook our heads. I guess we were talking too loud. Since then I have used it several times with the AC and it does change, but barely. Realize though that model doesn't have an economy mode and idle down like some do. It's a constant 2600 RPM.

Our AC controls are similar - fan and then the compressor starts. I purchased our generator in 2003 - I am sure they made improvements to the design since then.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
I wondered about what happened if you put it in bypass, still chatter?

If buying the Progressive unit go to
http://www.lawrencerv.com/products.asp?cat=13

They are listed on Progressive's website as a recommended dealer and the current price is $311 w/free shipping. I used them and it took 3 days to get it.
Thanks for the link - save us some $ - ordered one today