Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherne View Post
AMEN to that! I don't even know if I had enough of a tow vehicle on my first trailer back in the 90's. didn't know I had to check. I had a Toyota 4 runner. Thought I could pull anything! No wonder I ended up in somewhere in Alabama with a bad bearing and only a pliers and screwdriver to chisel off the melted inside race of the bearing!
I'll bet you weren't thinking life was real simple while chiselingthat melted race off.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #42
Weekend Camper

Actually Lloyd the biggest lesson I learned that day was don't go to an Autozone when there is a NAPA dealer around. I gave the bearing part numbers out of my manual to the folks at AutoZone and they had no idea what they were. I showed the NAPA folks the same thing and they didn't bat an eye. Put all the parts on the counter in less than a minute! And I now carry spare bearings, grease and tools.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #43
Site Team

Installed the TST today. Checked the range, and it was just, OK. The trailer was sitting in a building with the big door open.
Then I installed the range booster. WOW! I must have gained 75 to 100 ft.
Granted, you shouldn't ever need that kind of distance, but it was pretty impressive. Especially after my experiences with my last system.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #44
Full Time Camper

I ordered mine today Lloyd. I'm hoping for good results also. Going with the metal valve stems as we talked about, but not buying booster unless necessary. Glad it all looks good for you!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #45
Full Time Camper

I recently purchased the Tire Safeguard system and so far I really like it. I posted a few videos on my Youtube channel. This one is of my review. https://youtu.be/geOL_gRGZtQ

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #46
Family Vacation Member

Just got my TST system in last week. I'll be installing them probably next weekend at a campground. Will let others with limited tech capabilities how easy they really are to install! LOL
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #47
Full Time Camper

I've been using my new TST system now for about three weeks. I really like them. Great signal without boaster for me. The only thing I've noticed is the reading are about 3-6 degrees low on psi all the time, but are consistent. Three sensors are 3 degrees low and one 6 degrees low. So that isn't so much an issue, for if I have a leak I'll still know.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #48
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
I've been using my new TST system now for about three weeks. I really like them. Great signal without boaster for me. The only thing I've noticed is the reading are about 3-6 degrees low on psi all the time, but are consistent. Three sensors are 3 degrees low and one 6 degrees low. So that isn't so much an issue, for if I have a leak I'll still know.

How did you determine you have a great signal?
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #49
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
How did you determine you have a great signal?
I have had no interruptions in service, and no false alarms (knock on wood)... No difference when it rains either.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #50
Seasonal Camper

The TST system will not register a loss of signal until after one hour.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #51
Full Time Camper

Quote:
The TST system will not register a loss of signal until after one hour.
I beg to differ on that. If you disconnect the wheel sending unit, the alarm will activate immediately.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #52
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I beg to differ on that. If you disconnect the wheel sending unit, the alarm will activate immediately.
I'm not sure if the alarm will sound if the sending unit is disconnected, never tested that, however I lost a wheel with the sending unit attached and never got an alarm.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #53
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
I'm not sure if the alarm will sound if the sending unit is disconnected, never tested that, however I lost a wheel with the sending unit attached and never got an alarm.
The alarm does sound when the sending unit is disconnected. It reads the pressure/temp every five minutes, and sounds the alarm if it goes above or below the preset limits. It also sounds if there is a sudden loss of pressure, and that will sound immediately. That may be why it sounds when I remove one. I have no idea what would happen if a wheel fell off and it went out of range.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #54
Full Time Camper

Quote:
The alarm does sound when the sending unit is disconnected. It reads the pressure/temp every five minutes, and sounds the alarm if it goes above or below the preset limits. It also sounds if there is a sudden loss of pressure, and that will sound immediately. That may be why it sounds when I remove one. I have no idea what would happen if a wheel fell off and it went out of range.
I guess I've always had the receiver turned off when I removed the sending units.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #55
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
I am talking about a loss of signal such as the wheel sending unit is too far from the receiver or in a noisy environment such as a busy freeway.

Give this a try someday. Leave everything on and wait for all sending units to log in. Then drive away from the trailer for a couple miles. It will be one hour before the receiver will give you a loss of signal alarm.

This is what makes it difficult to determine if you have a weak signal with the TST system.

Pressure Pro has a function where you can measure the signal strength of each wheel sending unit. I find this makes the Pressure Pro easier to set up and determine if an external antenna may be required. plus the Pressure Pro gives a loss of signal in less than 15 minutes.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #56
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I am talking about a loss of signal such as the wheel sending unit is too far from the receiver or in a noisy environment such as a busy freeway.

Give this a try someday. Leave everything on and wait for all sending units to log in. Then drive away from the trailer for a couple miles. It will be one hour before the receiver will give you a loss of signal alarm.

This is what makes it difficult to determine if you have a weak signal with the TST system.

Pressure Pro has a function where you can measure the signal strength of each wheel sending unit. I find this makes the Pressure Pro easier to set up and determine if an external antenna may be required. plus the Pressure Pro gives a loss of signal in less than 15 minutes.
I will try that and see what happens. I do believe though I have a good signal the temps and psi are constantly changing with conditions. I recall when I was researching the brands, someone brought up the hour thing. Then I found that that actually wasn't true. I'll see what happens. I may get a chance to do it today.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #57
Full Time Camper

RCFLYER, I did what you suggested. Never got an alert. When I drove back within range, it began resetting all wheels. So I called TST and spoke with a great service woman by the name of Debbie. She explained to me that if you drive away, such as detach from your tow vehicle, there is a button to press so that the unit understands that, otherwise it just freezes the readings. Same thing would happen if your wheel falls off. Now if there is a sudden loss of pressure, it sends an alert in 2-3 seconds. When all is good, it updates every 3-4 minutes (I think the brochure said very two minutes). If a battery goes low while in use it also tells you. If the wheel blows up and damages the sender before it has a chance to send in the 2-3 seconds, that is the other time it could not send a signal. She said they are working on a way to solve this, and that all the brands have the same issue.

We discussed how I can tell I'm getting continual readings by the psi and temp change, the temp on sunny side of vehicle compared to non sun side. She was pleased about the feedback, and offered to send me a free booster. So I will have one waiting for me when I return from this trip. She has one on her 27 foot trailer just because she wants the best signal. She said it was reaching 200 feet at her house, and they are easy to hook up. So A+ for customer service and so far very satisfied with the unit. Thanks for bringing up those questions.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #58
Full Time Camper

I have tire minder on mine with the booster and it works great. We were on a 5600 mile trip and I aired the tires the night before we left. We left 1st thing in the morning and 20 miles into the trip the alarm went off. I pulled over and found the valve stem nut holding the valve stem to the rim had backed off and I was down to 50 psi instead of 110 psi i5 saved me a blowout. These things aren't cheap but will save thousands in damage.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #59
Family Vacation Member

So I purchased the TST with the flow through. I was sitting at the campground yesterday and figured it was about time to install them and program the system. Enough putting it off. It was very simple to do with good instructions provided. Even for this marginally capable operator.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #60
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
So I purchased the TST with the flow through. I was sitting at the campground yesterday and figured it was about time to install them and program the system. Enough putting it off. It was very simple to do with good instructions provided. Even for this marginally capable operator.
Impress, sounds good. Do you have metal valve stems? They are needed.