Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #81
Family Vacation Member

The bottle jack is a great idea. I've been trailering for 5 years now and never faced a flat tire. If I had one for this project it would have been a no brainer. I just hope others reading this and in the same situation (not have to face a flat tire YET) think this through. I had been told of the leveling block trick. But that would not have worked to get a tire off/on. The tire on the block went up on the suspension, but the tire I was trying to get off was still in contact with the pavement. The suspension failed that trick. If I was on the highway trying to do that I would have been up the creek. I ordered my 8 ton bottle jack last night.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #82
Family Vacation Member

So I've got all the metal valve stems on and tires pumped up to the recommended 80 psi. The Monitor reads 2-3 psi lower than each tire when checked with a digital pressure gauge. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an adjustment on the monitor I can make?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #83
Site Team

If you don't have a very good quality (and they're expensive) digital air pressure gauge, it won't be accurate anyway. They're all off by a couple # one way or the other.

If you feel more comfortable using what the TPMS says the pressure is, then go with that. I did.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #84
Family Vacation Member

Well, I real time tested the TPMS on our last trip. I posted yesterday about my wheel and tire issues. On our trip, I had the lug bolts snap off and the tire left the trailer through the side skirt. When this happened, I received no alarm from the system. I didn't get anything until about an hour or two later when we were waiting for the mobile repairman and then the alarm went off registering 0's.

After we got back on the road, I had a tire blow out 250 mile later. Again, no alarm prior to the blow. I had a second blow out on our return trip, but had the system turned off at that point.

Replacing all Chinese made tires which came with the unit with Goodyear's now. Not much belief in the system.....
Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #85
Gone Traveling

When you find a TPMS that will warn of an impending catastrophic failure let me know so I can replace mine. To my knowledge there's not any on the market to foresee a blowout unless youre running them underinflated & the temp starts to rise quickly.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #86
Site Team

I don't believe he's complaining about the blow out, but that if the tire was going low or overheating, there should have been a warning. If the tire leaves the axle, why didn't the system not detect a missing tire? You would think the further away the tire was from the unit, it would show up on the unit.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #87
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I don't believe he's complaining about the blow out, but that if the tire was going low or overheating, there should have been a warning. If the tire leaves the axle, why didn't the system not detect a missing tire? You would think the further away the tire was from the unit, it would show up on the unit.
That is the Achilles heal for all these units. They will detect low or high, or sudden psi loss, as well as overheat, but if the tire disappears or explodes and destroys the sending unit, then the delayed one-two second sending of the message never occurs. This was told to me from a nice woman rep from TST. They are attempting to figure a fix for it, but she stated all the brands have the same issue. It sounds like they have saved a lot of distress, but these type won't be detected.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #88
Family Vacation Member

Confused

Ok,

I was complaining about the blow out. I thought that was what this system was going to do for me. I was under the assumption that blow outs occurred when the tire temp raised up high. I think they call it the Michelin point, 155 degrees?? This is the main reason I bought it.

So if the unit isn't going to tell me about an impending blow out. The only thing it's good for is to tell me is that my tires are losing air pressure.....

This is why dolts like me shouldn't go out buying things we don't know about. lol.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #89
Weekend Camper

TMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
Ok,

I was complaining about the blow out. I thought that was what this system was going to do for me. I was under the assumption that blow outs occurred when the tire temp raised up high. I think they call it the Michelin point, 155 degrees?? This is the main reason I bought it.

So if the unit isn't going to tell me about an impending blow out. The only thing it's good for is to tell me is that my tires are losing air pressure.....

This is why dolts like me shouldn't go out buying things we don't know about. lol.

A lot of interesting facts in these articles.
I just purchased and installed the "Tire Minder A1A" system on my 5th Wheel camper last weekend. Will leave on trip to fl. in the morning for the 1st time using this system. Does any of you use this system and how does it perform? Thanks
breams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #90
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Ok,

These systems cannot predict the future so they can't tell you of an impending blowout. And tires fail catastrophically for many different reasons. If high temperature was the only cause, then monitoring temp. would be more important than monitoring PSI. Government mandated auto TPMS systems only warn of low pressure and few if any automakers offer systems that go beyond the gov. requirement. So RV TPMS systems are not a 100% guarantee against blowouts, they just minimize risk. I know my TPMS saved me a few yrs back when a tire lost pressure (all 4 tires were ready to throw their tread). I don't use ST tires any more.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #91
Gone Traveling

The temp will rise prior to a blowout, but it will be a VERY quick rise & unless you are staring at the monitor (which I hope not while you're driving) you probably will not notice it.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #92
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The temp will rise prior to a blowout, but it will be a VERY quick rise & unless you are staring at the monitor (which I hope not while you're driving) you probably will not notice it.
The vast majority of systems use external valve stem temp. sensors that are much more affected by sun and wind than actual tire temp, either average temp or instantaneous temp. So another reason why the system can't warn of an eminent blowout. Internal sensors are more accurate with tire temp and likely to detect tire, brake and bearing problems.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #93
Family Vacation Member

TPMS

There is an alarm on my unit that is supposed to go off when the temp rises to 150 degrees (which they post as the Michelin tire blow out temp). I received no alarm.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #94
Gone Traveling

Mine has temp/pressure that I can set, not aware of any presets, but may be there.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #95
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by breams View Post
A lot of interesting facts in these articles.
I just purchased and installed the "Tire Minder A1A" system on my 5th Wheel camper last weekend. Will leave on trip to fl. in the morning for the 1st time using this system. Does any of you use this system and how does it perform? Thanks
I have the tire minder and it saved me twice when my valve stems started to leak. I checked the air pressure the night before leaving ando 10 miles down the road the the next morning the alarm went off. When I stopped I was down to 40 lbs in a 110 psi tire
Old 07-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #96
Full Time Camper

Quote:
There is an alarm on my unit that is supposed to go off when the temp rises to 150 degrees (which they post as the Michelin tire blow out temp). I received no alarm.
And that just verifies that not all blowouts are due to high temps. You didn't state if the lug bolts failed on the front or rear axle. In either case, when that tire and wheel came off they could have damaged the adjacent tire and weakened it. I had a blowout, didn't even look at the other tire. 100 miles later I discovered it had been damaged and was ready to fail.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 AM   #97
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
I have the tire minder and it saved me twice when my valve stems started to leak. I checked the air pressure the night before leaving ando 10 miles down the road the the next morning the alarm went off. When I stopped I was down to 40 lbs in a 110 psi tire

The valve stems could have been what caused the leak. Someone posted earlier that you have to put metal ones on or the centrifugal force with the weight of the units will cause them to split. I put metal ones on when I read that.....
Old 07-02-2016, 02:55 AM   #98
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
And that just verifies that not all blowouts are due to high temps. You didn't state if the lug bolts failed on the front or rear axle. In either case, when that tire and wheel came off they could have damaged the adjacent tire and weakened it. I had a blowout, didn't even look at the other tire. 100 miles later I discovered it had been damaged and was ready to fail.
It was the rear tire that came off the first time.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #99
Full Time Camper

Quote:
The valve stems could have been what caused the leak. Someone posted earlier that you have to put metal ones on or the centrifugal force with the weight of the units will cause them to split. I put metal ones on when I read that.....
Rubber valve stems are a problem regardless of TPMS or not, I've had two fail before I ever added the system. One failed when I was doing a pre trip check of pressures and the other one blew out while sitting in line at a fuel stop. If either had failed while at speed and w/o a TPMS it would have caused a tire failure. I only use metal stems on the truck and trailer.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 07-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #100
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I have metal stems. The nut that holds them in place had backed off