Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
jeb
Family Vacation Member

I was.

It was a royal pain in the butt to have to get a ladder out when opening or closing the awning on my fiver.

Then, I got a crazy idea and decided to try and make a longer hook, a hook that would reach all the way to the top of the RV and be able to unlatch the awning. It also had to be strong enough to release the travel locks on each end of the awning.

So I said to myself, "Self, what would be a cheap and easy way to do this?", and I came across an idea when I ran into an extra adjustable brush handle I had squirreled away in the garage.

I had some bar stock laying around, but you can get it at Lowes or HD and it's very inexpensive, I used about 6 inches of 3/16th rod and bent one end over at a 90 degree angle.

Then, I took some hose clamps I had laying around in the same garage (I am a pack rat) and fastened the rod to the end of the adjustable handle. Voila! A tool which can be stowed practically anywhere, weighs almost nothing, reaches the top of the awning, and will allow more time for beer.

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I use the index finger on my left hand to push the button for the power awning. This leaves my right hand free to hold a beverage. The power awning is our best purchase yet.

08 F250 PSD Super Duty

08 Kingston KF30SB
Caledonia Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Your camper didn't come with one of these? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-pull-rod/4430

Good thinking. I like making stuff like this. Anything to make it easier is a good thing.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

mine came with 2 of them maybe I got yours.. lol
Greg Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I guess being tall has it's advantages. I just pull on the rope. I do need my little hook thingy to release the direction button on top.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskool

Your camper didn't come with one of these? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-pull-rod/4430

Good thinking. I like making stuff like this. Anything to make it easier is a good thing.

Yes, but the one which came with the trailer isn't long enough to reach the awning from the ground.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Wow, that must be one hell of a slanted site your on.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
jeb
Family Vacation Member

No. I'm not standing in a hole. I'm 5'10" and the awning is a little over 12 feet from the ground. Add a couple inches to get to the latch bar and you're getting up there pretty good. I cannot reach it without a ladder ( or my new Acme Extended Hook).

There's something else I can't reach from the ground. It's the travel lock on the front support. Those are the C shaped things which pinch the awning braces together and keep them from allowing the awning to open when you are traveling. I can't reach the front one from the ground and I need to stand on the steps to reach the back one.

OK. Everyone who can't reach that latch from the ground with a standard hook, raise your hand!!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

5'7' No problem at all. 11.6 foot tall camper. Awning about two feet less than that.

11'6" camper -24 "(awning not mounted on highest part of roof = 126" (ground to awning)
5'7"tall = 67"
Arm above head = 18"
Tip Toes = 4"
67+18+4= 89" (My reach total)
126" Awning height - 89" reach = 37" (need to reach awning)
Awning Pull Rod. 46".
Almost 9 inches of surplus length. using the pull rod. ROUGHLY.

In other words.
I am 67 inches tall with a arm reach 18" from elbow to fingers. - 85"
Add the 46 for the pull rod. 131 inches total reach with pull rod. If i stand on my tippy toes i can get another 4". Grand reach total 135. ( 11' 2" )

My camper is a touch under 12foot tall. (144") And the awning is less than that because taking away from the AC. over hitch raised roof. The awning has to be at least 2 feet less than total height because i can reach that awning.

I can reach the lever with no problem at all. no tippy toes. being 5'7".

Phew.. That was fun. lol Can you tell i am bored? Raining out.. I ran the math because i know i reach with no problem at at all and i was confused or you have a extremely tall trailer with a really tall awning.

What RV you have?

After all that, LOL. I still pull out the 4 step ladder. Need to put on the 4 AWNING SAVERS

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
jeb
Family Vacation Member

We've got the 30' Paradise Pointe (cannot remember the actual model number) and the awning is all the way up to the top of the side, right where the roof meets the sidewall. Let me see if I can find a photo.....

There! The bedroom window forces them to place the awning all the way to to the top.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

my PP has the same bedroom window as the one in the picture above, we had to buy a folding ladder to open or close the awning, the manual arm was too short, the ladder proved to be a real pain.....we took the old awning off and replaced it with an electric, now before bed or when we leave camp we just push the button and roll in the awning....lots less work

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Amen to the electric awning. Love it!!
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Now I get it... It's the difference between a full profile unit (your PP) and my mid profile (Cruiser). Yes those awning are way up there. If it was me I would invest in either a power awning or just drag the picnic table over and use the CR provided hook. No picnic table then I would configure an painter's aluminum paint pole with a hook. Or just go without.

A thought on the painter's pole.. Use a old push broom as a base then screw an "L" bracket to it for a solid hook.

Good luck

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salda01
Now I get it... It's the difference between a full profile unit (your PP) and my mid profile (Cruiser). Yes those awning are way up there. If it was me I would invest in either a power awning or just drag the picnic table over and use the CR provided hook. No picnic table then I would configure an painter's aluminum paint pole with a hook. Or just go without.

A thought on the painter's pole.. Use a old push broom as a base then screw an "L" bracket to it for a solid hook.

Good luck

Um, basically that's what I have already done. See initial post in this thread.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

wow, it is way up there isn't it.. Tippy toes won't save you there. I would be making a "extendo stick" as well..

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Cool quick fix. It's funny how easy a common fix can be! I can see me doing the "hauling the ladder" thing then the picnic table...then the kid on my shoulder followed by looking through the camping world catalogue for an item that you made in 5 minutes from home. Horray to homemade and the hell with we can buy it on the internet.

The Cavanaugh's

2006 Chevy HD 3500 Pullin'

ZT320QB Hardly feel it!
cavy16262 is offline   Reply With Quote