Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi folks,
A few months ago I posted a question about slide seals at the top of all of my slides that had come off ... here's the original thread for the background:

http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6308&KW=bulb+seal&titl e=slide-seals-water-on-carpet-have-you-seen-this

Many thanks to everyone for the tips, and SleepyT for the part number. I got in contact with Bill Stout at Crossroads who gave me lots of good tips also. He said he couldn't sell me the part directly (I guess things have changed?) but sent me to Tiara RV who sold me the seal and shipped it out quick. I think the price was just over $2/foot so I got 30ft. Ended up with about 10ft extra ... never hurts to have more.

Here's the kids' bunk slide where I started. Already unscrewed the seal and removed it, now I'm starting with a plastic putty knife to scrape off the old sealant. Thanks Bill for this tip - dummy me would have tried my metal putty knives ... not smart.

Scraping off the old was serious work! The main slide was the worst. Best I could tell, there were three different kinds of caulk used on the main slide seal. Amazing. The other slides were "easier." Most of the time was spent prepping the surface (removing the old stuff, wiping clean etc).

After scraping the best I could, I wiped down the area with acetone to clean up. I also had to scrape some residue off of the outer part of the slide and wiped that clean too.

Here are some finished pictures. Bill suggested using Sikaflex polyurethane sealant - so I ordered up some Sikaflex 291. Also he suggested for tooling, to put some mineral spirits in a spray bottle and spray the bead down a bit first, then (with a gloved hand) run a finger along to tool it. I'm sure a pro could have done better but it did work like a charm. Finished pictures:

And the main slide seal. This thing was a mess beforehand. Not too bad now:

Some things I learned ... be very careful when working up here, for many reasons. I had to step onto the slide roof in many places and it was pretty clear I shouldn't set a foot wrong. I tried to just step on the roof studs. Take your time and don't rush up there. The bunk slide I could just work from the sides on a ladder, but the bed slide was up high and not very deep - so I think it was "safest" to lay on the roof of the camper and work "upside down."

Also get more than one putty knife - halfway through I had worn the edge down to a nub from all the scraping and was thankful to have more!

Lastly, to repeat a tip from the previous thread, spray down the seals periodically with silicone spray, slide treatment or something - so they don't stick to the slide trim and get pulled off again!

On edit: Forgot to add ... it almost looks like the sealant used from the factory was the "self leveling" type. It seemed like it creeped down onto the face of the seal which allowed it to contact the slide, stick, and pull the seal off. Like someone picked up the wrong tube that day. What was left was a sticky mess I had to cleanup, which reminded me of cleaning up roof sealant. Regardless if that is true or not, I hope the Sikaflex performs much better. From what I read it is a strong and more stable adhesive.

Edited by: FSuperDuty
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Nice job. I have replaced the tape on the top of the slides and will have to look at seals in the next few years.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Very nice job.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Nice clean job - well done

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you ever have to "walk or kneel"on the slides when they are out , just put a piece of plywood on the top of the slide and it will even out the weight....works good.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Very nice job. One question I have and I have never tried this so I'm a novice...could you not have put the bigger slides out only about a foot or so and been able to use the ladder as you did the smaller slides? And again, I've never tried this so I'm just wondering if you only put the slides out a short ways do they "push back in" when you lean on them? I'm only asking because there's no way I can go on my roof and work upside down. Vertigo

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Jim, as I was reading the original post, I had the same suggestion. I didn't replace the seals on mine but I did replace the caulking and I did exactly as you had suggested. I pushed out the slide enough to work on it (less than a foot) and was able to reach every thing with the ladder. Not that its a big deal, but you need to keep climbing down and moving the ladder ahead.
Anyway, FSuperduty, in the end you did do a nice job. Looks good!
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
If you ever have to "walk or kneel"on the slides when they are out , just put a piece of plywood on the top of the slide and it will even out the weight....works good.
Darn it why didn't I think of that! Will next time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampers
Jim, as I was reading the original post, I had the
same suggestion. I didn't replace the seals on mine but I did replace
the caulking and I did exactly as you had suggested. I pushed out the
slide enough to work on it (less than a foot) and was able to reach
every thing with the ladder. Not that its a big deal, but you need to
keep climbing down and moving the ladder ahead.
Anyway, FSuperduty, in the end you did do a nice job. Looks good!

I wanted to do that as well but how high my camper sits (and really how short my ladder was) I had to get to it "from the top." Time to get a new ladder for next time I guess

Thanks guys for the thumbs up ... I hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon...
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I just removed the caulking along the seals cause my seals seem to have grey caulking strip between the wall and the seal . I tried many stuffs to clean the silicone seals ,mineral solvent is best but degrades the silicone which becomes tacky and picks up the dirt when closing the extensions. I tried Krylon plastic paint which looks good till you close the ext. then all thwe paint cracks . I have a limited choice of solutions cause the first owner neglected the seals which have black spots imbedded in the silicone. The best stuff I found is mean Green , rince, dry, then pure bleach . Do not mix bleach and Mean Green , the reaction produces heat. The only solution is replacing the seals with black ones.
denism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
New Camper

Just had to clean and reseal mine, and your right, getting the old caulk off and clean is time consuming...
Tommy69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Gojo waterless handcleaner really does a nice job cleaning caulk and seals. It contains lanolen and leaves the seals nice and plyable not tacky. Avoid the punice variety. Wipe on wipe off pretty quick for best results.