Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

First off, I thought it was strange to have such a nice looking coach set up inside, except the tv area. Flat screen mounted on the wall with the Jensen DVD player built in under a small shelf under the TV. Always thought it was strange that the audio video cables dropped down from behind the TV, and through a hole drilled into the top of the counter to the Jensen in plain sight.
Messing with the Jensen discovered it had two aux inputs one front, one rear. Front one is a mini plug, but the back inputs were standard RCA jacks. While in there discovered that the wall behind the stereo unit is hollow, and there is a big hole where all the speaker and power wires come through for the Jensen. Removed TV from wall and did some tapping-sounded hollow, carefully cut a hole in the wall and fished the AV cable down through the wall. No more messy wires dangling in front of the wall in sight.

Now to the extra inputs. We have a rather large home network, both wired and wireless, and stream all of our movies from our server to a networked media jukebox. Thought it would be cool to carrya bunch ofthe movies in digital format with us to watch on those rainy days. Got a WD live, and an external 2 terabyte hard drive. Both of these items run of 12 volts through ac adapters. Cut the adapter wires off, wired them to a relay and tapped into the 12 volt supply lines going to the stereo, and control the relay with the trigger wire from the Jensen. Mounted the WD Live on the shelf under the TV in front of the hole drilled in the countertopand ran the wires back downto the Jensen. Mounted the external hard drive behind a blank offpiece of wood in the cabinet, out of sight. Also ran a cat5 cable back up to the router we mounted behind the TV (earlier posted here).

Now when the Jensen is off, so is the WD live and hard drive. Kick on the Jensen, the WD live and hard drive come to life. Since it is connected to the Cruiser's router, we can get Netflix, and access the drive through the WD live network connection to add content to the hard drive as needed.

We have our music collection and a ton of movies at our fingertips now when we are on the road, and all the wires nicely hidden. DW is SOOOO Happy. Which is all that really counts

Thought I would share!

Edited by: bdwillie
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Very nice! We are buying a 5'er in the next month or so, down to a 2011 Redwood 36FB or 2012 36RE that has a system in it but, DW has over 150 DVD's that I am planning on putting on a hard drive to connect back thru the entertainment system but have not figured out what software and hardware would accomplish this the easiest. Any advice would be helpful.
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Since I am using the WD live, it supports MKV file format. I use the software MakeMKV, available at www.makemkv.com. The beta software is free to use, but you do have to redownload it everytime there is an upgrade. been using it for a few years with no hiccups. Good quality, and a small learning curve. Yell if ya need help!
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote