Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi all,

We have a 2008 ST 27RB, with tinted windows and it came with night shades in a dark-ish mushroom color. I have always felt that the trailer was very dark inside, so I replaced the shades in the slide (4 of them, two on the end of the slide, one over the couch, one over the table) with white vinyl mini-blinds. I kept the night shades in the bedroom and the original blinds over the sink and in the bath.

The blinds are a pain to operate because of the curtains (if you can call them that), and also they don't fit nicely into the wood valance that was obviously designed for shades. I am now thinking about getting day/night shades even though the windows are tinted.

My question is this, of those of you who have tinted windows and just the night shades, do you put the shades up all day without concern that people can see inside? I'm open for suggestions. I priced out the small 20 x 20 windows on the end of the slide with new day/nights from Camping World and they are about $50 each. I really don't know if I "need" the "day" part of the shade, so maybe I will just get new night shades in a lighter color.

What are some other window covering options you all have used if you changed out the original coverings?

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I normally only put down the "day" part of the day/night shade if the sun is shining in the window. At night the "night" part will go down. Otherwise both are up, if someone wants to see me sitting drinking a cool one, more power to 'em

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have an 06, an older model, with all the original day/nite shades and I will give you some advise I got that worked for me the reason the shades go bad is that the cord or the shades themselves rot from the sun, during the off season, or when your not using the camper, ours has sat for over 2 yrs, raise the day/nite shades all the way to the top, the shade will fit inside the trim and it's out of sight, then cover all the windows with aluminum foil, bright side out, it will stay in place without too much problem, I remove the window screens before I cover the windows, it will keep the sun off the shades and it will end the usual problems with the shades, all mine are the original and I have never had a problem with any of them, the easy way to make them look nice is to lower the blinds and run the sweeper brush over them to clean the dust off then spray a lite coat of spray starch on the blinds and rais them up, it will tighten up the fabric and make the pleats nice and sharp...I also cover the furniture with old blankets, my camper is an older unit but all the interior furniture and all the wood looks new, and I do have the tinted windows........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We just made curtians and took the shades off. We have sheers for the day time and insulated curtians if it is too hot.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

hi , we also have a 27RB . great unit for couples . we usually keep the shades pulled while traveling . when we reach our destination , we will put the shades up . our windows are really tinted like yours . i did a walk by on the outside with the shades up . i really had to look to see anything inside . we like raising the shade by the dinette . nice big window ( as you know ) we like watching the activities that go on outside and the natural light .
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for your answers/advice. We washed the trailer this afternoon, took about 4 hours! It was very dirty from a Yellowstone trip!

Yes, accordionman, the windows are VERY tinted! And I always keep my shades and blinds down while we are traveling and while it is stored. Our friends who travel with us have a Mallard with day night shades and their trailer always seems super bright! I like the brightness and thought that white mini blinds would help.....but it really doesn't. I think the tint of the windows is a big factor in how dark it is on the inside.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote