Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wiring in Ceiling / Awning Lights

Im going to be wiring in a strip of LEDs in my awning, as well as mounting a cell booster exterior antenna on the roof & and interior antenna on the ceiling. My question is regarding the routing of wires. Because I don't know what the structure in the roof actually looks like, i'm a little hesitant.

I need to run the power for the led strip from the side of the RV to the switch panel just inside the door. Is the ceiling wide open for routing cables? What do the walls look like, do the studs have pass throughs in them? Is there 12V available at the switch panel or should I run the power down to the electrical center (if so, what is the best path to get there).

As mentioned, I also want to run some coax in the ceiling to mount the cell booster antenna on the roof. Ill have the same issues here.

If im willing to break out the brad nailer, is removing one of the ceiling panels an option or are they glued in/non removable, etc?

2011 Sunset Trail 26BH
mikemaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

for the outside led lights ,which I think you are sticking the the trailer side just below the awning, grab a lead from the switch panel ,add a switch and pop a hole thru the wall high inside the kitch cabinet. attach led there and run left and right.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

What I think you are saying is inside the kitchen cabinet drill to the outside and have two leds strands connected there - one going right and one going left. The issue with that is the LED strand I have is one 16' length with leads on one end, so I will have to make my connection at one of the far ends.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

usually the led strips can be cut . possibly the connection in the middle may work. Don't put lights on the awning tube...put on side of trailer just under awning so you can use them with awning in or out. plus you will not have to sew the wire into the awning mat'l.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ive got my LED strip mounted, and I have come in the wall inside the trailer and made a small access hole on the inside wall near the ceiling - about the size of an outlet (That i will cover with a blank decora plate). I also have a pull string weaved through the roof from my switch panel to the ceiling cavity near the wall that I came through. Im now trying to get from the wall cavity into the roof cavity, but im unsure of the structure of the top plate/ribbon plate of the wall's framing. I think I can sneak a 90 degree drill or die grinder to drill up through the top plate/cap, but is there going to be another one right on top for the roof or will it open up to the roof cavity?

If possible, I would really like to avoid bringing down the ceiling panel.