Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Z-1 wall/window thickness

Hello All,

I want to add some windows to my Z1. Looks like most RV windows are either 1" or 1 1/2" thick. Can someone tell me which? And is the door the same thickness? Mine has no window in the door. That must change!

Videos make this look fairly straightforward. But any words of advice are appreciated. First time RVer. Just had this 4 months. (And already put 4000 or so miles on it - I've learned a lot and did a fair number of repairs along the way!)

Also, any suggestions for places to get used or discount windows? I love windows.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I believe the wall thickness is the same, or close, to the door thickness. Our Z-1 also came without a door window, which we remedied with this: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...s%2C158&sr=8-1

It's a simple install, as soon as you get over the squeamishness of taking a saw blade to the door. Measure twice, or more, tape off the cut line and hold your breath. The door window has a two-piece frame that slides together and covers different door thicknesses. I'd bet that standard wall windows are the same.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Hi Bluekat,

Here's a link to my experience doing exactly what you intend.

Good luck, please feel free to pm if you have any questions I can help you with.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ion-13340.html
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEH412 View Post
I believe the wall thickness is the same, or close, to the door thickness. Our Z-1 also came without a door window, which we remedied with this: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...s%2C158&sr=8-1

It's a simple install, as soon as you get over the squeamishness of taking a saw blade to the door. Measure twice, or more, tape off the cut line and hold your breath. The door window has a two-piece frame that slides together and covers different door thicknesses. I'd bet that standard wall windows are the same.
I did the same thing this past summer. Was VERY nervous to cut a hole in my door. But it went fine, wife loves the extra light and view. Ended up doing the same thing to my entry door of my home...except it was way more than $75 on Amazon!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

After showing this thread to my wife it looks like it will cost me $75 and a spring project.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

So did you learn something smoke33? I don’t bring my wife into Home Depot or Lowes anymore, I end up with new projects I didn’t need to happen.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
So did you learn something smoke33? I don’t bring my wife into Home Depot or Lowes anymore, I end up with new projects I didn’t need to happen.

Ahhh, but what better time to say....

"Honey, look at this, imagine what I could do with one of those, I really think I would use that a lot, and my birthday is coming up....."

You're welcome, you can thank me later..
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Window successfully added!

Thank you all. I got the $75 window and frame off Amazon. Once I was ready to install, realized all my jigsaw blades were broken. But following one of my favorite mottos: "Do what you can with what you've got", I used my Harbor Freight multi-tool with plunge blade. I had to cut the interior and exterior separately, and the corners were a little tricky. But I knew the jagged edges would be covered by the frame.

What a difference the window makes.

Now I'm ready to add more windows! Any of you added windows to the regular walls? How does that compare to adding a window to the door?

And can any one tell me where the electrical wiring runs in my model?