Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

For the past15 years I have been winterizing my trailers which had 3 valves outside the hot water tank. Two of these valves isolated thecold supply inletand hotsupply outlet while the third valve diverted the cold supply side to the hotline outside the tank. I always drained my hot water tank first and left the drain plug out. Antiftreeze then flowed through both through the hot and cold lines and never entered the hot water tank.

My new 2009 Cruiser has only two valves, one to isolate the cold supply and one to divert the cold supplyto the hot side. It seems that the only wayto keep anti-freeze out of the hot water tank is to replace the drain plug and count on the internal air pressure within the tank to keep out the anti-freeze.

Am I missing something here or is that the way it is supposed to work?

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2009 CF31MK
JT Strongarm Stabilizers
Demco Glide Ride
Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

There is a check valve on the hot water tank so the antifreeze will not fill the tank. You can, and should, leave the plug off.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Chris is correct, there is a check valve on the hot water outlet side.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Here's a set of pictures to illustrate the water heater valve positions for winter and summer.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

At least you dont have a wet shelf that the tank is sitting on!!! Ive checked all the fittings and none seem to be leaking ! Looks like another thing to add to the fix list!!!

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Bob just curious did you notice the wet shelf before or after you drained the hot water heater.I have a water stain under the water heater and Could not find a leak.I am leaning toward that .We drained the heater last trip when we came home and didnt start on the rest until later so I'm wondering if it leaked during the drain process and then i saw the stain.Idont believe it was there before

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Nope havent drained it yet weve got 2 more weeks i hope of camping!! Also on electric it seems to work fine but on gas it gets hot enough the release valve on the outside statrs to drip maby thats ware ite inside water had came from!! im gonna have it all checked out here at the end of the month i was thinking i might have a split seam in the tank or if the gas gets it too hot maby that was the culprit???? but with the water on and everything sealed up i ckecked every fitting and couldnt find any leaks but the board was wet and i hadent used the gas unless the electric is doing that too and i just hadent noticed it

Duramax,allison.etc.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Hi, When the valves are in the vertical position for the winter configuration, should there be pink stuff in the plastic line past the valve going into the hw heater?

Chevy Suburban 1999
crazymama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

buddahbob1, there is a note in most hot water tank manuals as well as on the Atwood site about leaking pressure relief valves.

The usual cause of dripping from the relief valveis that there is not enough air space at the top of the tank that can absorb some of the increased pressure when a tank is heating. The recommended solution is to turn off the tank fuel source, either electricity or gas, let it cool down somewhat, turn off the city water supply or pump as the case may be, open a hot water tap, and then flip the pressure relief valve to fully open while avoiding any heated water that may come out.

When the water stops dripping from the relief valve, allow it to snap back into the closed position and then close your hot water tap, turn on the city water or pump and then the fuel source of your choice. You now have enough air at the top of the tank to allow pressure to be absorbed before the relief valve needs to do it's job.

It solved my hot water tank dripping problem. Of course if it still leaks, then indeed the pressure relief valve may be faulty.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2009 CF31MK
JT Strongarm Stabilizers
Demco Glide Ride
Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Ok ill try that tomorrow I was think there was a thermostat problem but ill definately try that. Thanks

Duramax,allison.etc.