Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
Site Team

Good tips Bud. Especially the aluminum around the tires and jack.

I used a little different approach to sealing around the slide out shafts. I glued real heavy 60 grit sander paper to the frame. Real close to the shafts. They claim the little rodents don't like scrapping against. I haven't had any trouble for quite a few years now. (knock knock)
I also sealed up the membrane that's on the bottom and closed all holes that enter the floor inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holeinframe.jpg (69.4 KB, 13 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

I totally agree with these tips. I spent a few hours underneath our camper sealing up all of the openings in the Coroplast like around the spring hangers and any plumbing with a few tubes of silicone. Also on the interior pull off the access panel to the furnace and the hole that they have cut in the floor is over sized so I used hitemp expanding spray foam to seal the hole. This was all time well spent as we have not had any unwanted little visitors.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

Critter proofing

Usually I put mouse/rat poison out in inaccessible areas (I have dogs) and have installed the wire mesh on the water heater, ac, .... the other one is to get rid of the mouse-hole that they call a power cord stowage. Drop the $75 and buy a Marinco adapter. It turns the factory power cord into a twist-release cord. No hole... no mouse intrusion.

i guess I need to look at the slides and block those holes as well.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

A bit of everything: Inside we have Dryer Sheets, Snap Traps, Glue Traps and D-con; outside we have Fresh Cab and/or Moth Balls close to any point where the RV touches the ground (on top of the tires, on the landing gear. I have sprayed the ground beneath the RV with Critter Ridder but it stinks like creosote. Make sure pets can't get to the Moth Balls.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorangs View Post
Mice do not like SNUGGLE dryer sheets or the green Irish Spring soap. We use both and have for many years and have never have evidence of critters..........I go overboard with the sheets but better to be safe than sorry.......
In reality...they do nothing. It may appear to work because there are no mice to begin with. If there were any they would eat the soap and build nests with the dryer sheets. Lots of posts on many forums to back these facts up. Ever see a professional exterminator throwing soap or dryer sheets around? Of course not. Traps and poison works.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:53 AM   #26
Seasonal Camper

Interesting to watch. This guy also has vids covering mothballs, ect for "rodent repellent"
I always get a kick out of hearing what people presume to work for this and other odd problems. Not that I don't believe any of them work, just the fact that some of the ideas are outlandish.
I believe that we can take steps to make it more difficult for rodents to gain access ( I like the heavy grit sandpaper... I would think that would be difficult to chew through. Lol) but spray foam, although it may deter them, if they really want in, they will go right through. Example..... My backyard shed has 1/2" thick plywood wall panels (T1-11). there is a tree that lays on an angle very close to the rear corner. A squirrel chewed right through the wall to gain access, and nested in the rafters. Not a small hole, mind you...... I can almost fit my head through it!
Maybe the best we can do is remove all food items, clean thoroughly, and cross our fingers.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:56 AM   #27
Seasonal Camper

Possibly a winner
Old 11-22-2019, 03:58 AM   #28
Seasonal Camper

In this one, a mouse is actually eating the soap... Lol
Old 01-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #29
Gone Traveling

That's an amazing and different approach and I think it would definitely. Yes, I am going to try it. Thanks.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #30
Family Vacation Member

I tried these Victor Rodent Repellents in RV (x2) a few weeks back after finding droppings and cleaning up. Also found open slots from improperly installed stowage box for shoreline cord, and sealed these w/ aluminum flashing adhered w/ clear dicor no-sag. All clear of future activity so far.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #31
Family Vacation Member

re: Electronic Repellants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I tried these Victor (edit: Electronic) Rodent Repellents in RV (x2) a few weeks back after finding droppings and cleaning up. Also found open slots from improperly installed stowage box for shoreline cord, and sealed these w/ aluminum flashing adhered w/ clear dicor no-sag. All clear of future activity so far.
Sorry, forgot a LINK, but also realize this approach ONLY works if you are stored while plugged up thru shoreline.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pest, winterizing, zinger