Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
New Camper

We have a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser/Patriot with the flush floor bedroom. It is model CF305ES. I understand that when winterizingwe need to turn the valve off (opposite of what it is now) to keep the antifreeze from going in the hot water heater. However, there are two valves near the HW heater. Do we need to turn both? I thought I understood that there was a tube close to the HW heater that you use to pump the antifreeze into the pipes, but am unable to find it. Also are you supposed to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank?

I am sure these questions are so elementary to everyone, but to us "newbies" we definitely need some guidance.

Thanks so much!
STEPUP2RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not familiar with your unit but DO NOT PUT ANTIFREEZE in the fresh water tank. There will be a drain valve, usually under the fresh water fill cap. Just drain the tank.

On my unit there are three valves that you would use, two near each other to the right of the HW tank and one to the far left on a line resting on the floor. The fill tube is near the entry door to the HW tank, at floor level.

Hope that helps.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

One valve closes off the incoming water to the tank and the other valve opens the by pass. There is a check valve on the hot side that prevents AF from going back into the tank. Your winterization line will be located at the water pump. It also has a 2 way valve (either FW tank or AF line). Draining the tank is fine for winterizing. You shouldn't put AF in there. It would take a long time to flush it all out in the spring. Don't forget your black tank flush. I almost forgot mine last year since this is the first unit that I have owned that had one.
Don't worry about the 'elementary' questions. Everyone on here was in your position at some point.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Don't forget all sink drains, shower and out side shower.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Last year was our first to winterize our 06 zinger 240. Luckily our dealer had a free winterization clinic run by his mechanics with a show and tell to ask questions. We brought pictures and asked questions. At the end they passed out $20 coupons to discount the procedure so I let them do the plumbing. The mechanic sugested removing the battery for storage in cold climates and to fill LP gas tanks to minimize condensation in tanks.Not all the other people had the winterization by-pass kits attached to the waterpumps but they were not expensive.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

On my hot water arrangement..

I have two valves at the hot water tank.. I turn them both to bypass the hotwater tank.

Inmy water pump compartment, i have a hose for the gallon jug and also a bypass valve so it will pull from the gallonjugof antifreeze instead of the fresh water tank..

I do not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank or any of the waist tanks. I just drainthem out. I also don't put antifreeze in the hot water tank. I just drain that out as well.

I also havetie wrappeda index card on my water pump line. The index card says " DON'T FORGET THE OUTSIDE SHOWER DANNO"

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Use air, that way you don't have that pink stuff running thru your water lines.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Your water pump is in the small cabinet between your recliners. There is aseparatehose to pump AF as noted above. Turn the valve at the pump to drawer the AF from a bucket or the jug itself. Do both hot and cold lines,kitchen and bath also outside shower. Iwould put some in drains to fill traps. Don't forget the toilet leave a small amount to cover the seal in bowl. Drain fresh water tank below trailer and do not add AF. I use a bucket and a sump pump with a short length of hose to do the black tank rinse. Good luck it is not that difficult
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Use air? What happens in a pipe when the liquid is half filling and lies on the bottom? The answer is: Air goes right over the liquid and leaves it in place. When a hard freeze comes, the left over water freezes and expands. You get away with it a lot of the time but is that one time worth saving six bucks on antifreeze? Not in my mind.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I agree with Jim. The Pink Stuff and 10 minutes. That is how long it takes.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I am also confused about the winterization. According to owner's manual, it says to reverse the 2 valves at water heater. No antifreezecamethrough hot side of faucets. What did we do wrong? Cold side of taps were ok.
ewp5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I can't be sure but it sounds like you didn't bypass the water heater at all. I can't tell where your "two valves" are but, might you have three? One should route the cold water "around" the water heater instead of in it. Did your water heater fill up with anti-freeze? You can check that by opening the drain and making sure the heater is empty.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

the valves were on right side of w/h at base. I checked for 3rd valve, none found. Antifreeze did go into w/h, but we still only used about 2 gallons for faucets, washer line, shower and toilet. Manual says valves need to be in parallel position for use and at a right angle to winterize.
ewp5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

If your valves are in the correct position for winterizing, you should not have any anti-freeze in the water heater!!

Try to find someone with your EXACT model and see if they know more than I do about your particular setup. I see in older posts on this thread that some folks have three valves. Never put anti-freeze in your fresh water or hot water tanks and ALWAYS (my opinion) ciphon the water out of the bottom of your water heater tank.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I am very happy to read that I am not the only one to have struggled with winterization and the RV manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We also have just the two valves near the water heater and there is NOdifference what position they are inthe water heater fills with antifreeze. I am sure water would eventually come through the hot faucets AFTER the water heater filled with antifreezeenough tocreatedback pressureand devert the antifreeze into the pipes.
I read a winterization article that suggested leaving water in the water heater until after the pipes are filled with antifreeze and thendraining the water heater. This might work. Regardless,I will be placing a third valve in my plumbing system to isolate the water heater.
YES. The manual suggests dumping antifreeze into the fresh water tank and then pumping it through the system.This didn't work for me because after dumping three gallons into the tank the antifreeze that reached the faucet was hardly pink from mixing with the left over water in the fresh water tank.
YES. The manual calls for dumping a gallon of antifreeze into each holding tank. I assume to protect the gate valve. This seems odd to me in that the tanks are vented and RV antifreeze contains Ethanal, When the Ethanal evaporated the freeze point rises and the protection decreases. I assume that even if it does freeze may be its bursting strength is not as high and therefore not damaging the gate valves.
And as stated by others do not forget the city water fill, the black water flush system or the outdoor shower. Best of luck. KD