Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
Site Team

Tim, maybe you should read the precautions on the side of your bleach bottle.
That stuff wasn't made for drinking.
It's actually toxic.

Read more : How to Bleach an RV Water Tank (5 Steps) | eHow
Also a bleach solution that is left standing on metal services can cause them to start to etch.
Disinfecting the RV's water lines and tank is easy with household bleach. For every 15 gallons of fresh water that your tank holds, put a fourth cup of liquid chlorine bleach into a bucket and mix with water. Use a funnel to carefully pour it into the tank. When it's all in, take a drinking water hose and continue filling the tank until it's almost full.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=Lloyd;96563]Tim, maybe you should read the precautions on the side of your bleach bottle.
That stuff wasn't made for drinking.
It's actually toxic.

Lloyd, Your concern got me to re-read what I may have posted. You are absolutely correct that 1/4 cup to 15 gallons is recommend. I knew that and left that out. I did not use 1/4 cup to the gallon. I poured a quart into the hose and hooked it up and filled the tank. That is still overkill. I run that thru all lines and flush them really well. Let it sit usually a day or two then run thru lines again really good. Drain, fill with fresh water and repeat. Then I drain and fill with no bleach odor or taste.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

We live in northern ontario, 4 hrs north of toronto, of course cold winters,LOL. Used antifreeze method once 18 yrs ago. But after that used air compressor since. Never had a problem. Never liked idea of antifreeze in lines.
Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

Sorry, wrong thread. We just add a bit of bleach to tank at water system spring startup. We carry a few water jugs/bottles for coffee/drinking. Trailer water for dishes and showers only. Might sound weird for some, LOL.
Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote