Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We camp at a seasonal campground that is locked up until May 1st so we finally got a chance to see how our 5th wheel fared over the winter (8 months up here in Canada). Â*We drove thru the rows of trailers anticipating the worst as there were numerous lots where their Rubbermaid storage sheds and bins were blown apart by the winter winds and all the contents laying exposed. Â*One trailer had the awning arm completely torn out of the fiberglass on one side and the awning unrolled 1/2 way and flapping, as well as his satellite dish had been blown off the roof and was laying on the grass (my hubby removes ours for the winter). One fellows fridge vent cover had cracked in half and fallen off exposing that area to water, I am not sure if water can somehow get into the backs of his cabinets via that vent?

Ours, upon first glimpse seemed to have fared well until I got inside and realized I had forgotten a case of Dr.Pepper which was tucked in behind the roll out garbage bin on the peninsula (we have a Seville VF35CK) One can had exploded and with a lot of force as it had popped the plywood behind it, actually the back of the garbage area is the front of the peninsula. Â*The plywood had popped out and the veneer tape between the 2 sheets of plywood was exposed. Hubby tapped the staples back with a hammer and ran his finger along the tape to get it to stick again, it looks fine but I hope the veneer tape doesn't keep peeling up from now on.
Surprisingly there was no pop mess anywhere, there was only the one can out of the case that exploded and it must have been a slow thaw that was absorbed by the cardboard of the carton.

I was talking to another camper and he was telling me the the neighbor camping beside him had a really rude homecoming. Â*Evidently his entrance door had blown ajar, not sure how, but a wild cat had taken up residence for the winter in his trailer and had actually died in there. Â*The fellow was greeted with a dead/decomposing cat curled up in the middle of their bed. Â*He was disposing of his mattress and low and behold there were mice living under the mattress and they had burrows going in all directions which must have been really upsetting.

The campground owner was telling us that they are noticing the economic downturn this season as they have 17 empty spots this season whereas in the past they have had a really long wait list of people hoping to get a site, so if anyone in Alberta is looking for a seasonal site I can recommend a good place. Â*The owner also said that they were heartbroken to see the arrival of the Sheriff 3 times Â*to repossess peoples trailers which is so sad, I wonder if at least the people were able to retrieve some of their belongings out of the trailer.
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Wow, sounds like a mess all across the board! Most people faired really well down here in Maine despite numerous high wind storms this winter. Most damage I saw was related to add-on porches and screen rooms. I know one person had his awning arm rip out but it's due to an underlying rot issue.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

i am sorry to hear that you had some troubles greeting you when you got to your unit. i am fighting with the wife about storing our trailer at our house and from what you have said, i have a good argument for and not against. where is it that you store your trailer?

joel
bouncemanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Joel;
The wonderful thing about having it right outside the door.If the DW or I have a great idea of something to do to our Cruiser all we have to do is walk out there and start planning.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Joel, we have a seasonal lot at Green Acres Campground on Pine Lake Alberta. Â*We love Green Acres, it's a really nice campground and you can leave the trailer there all year round, although the campground itself is only open May 15- Sept 15. Â*We used to bring our trailer home and store it in the yard in the winter when we had an acreage but have been leaving it at the campground for a few years now. Â*We don't normally have any problems and would have been fine this year if not for me forgetting the 2 cases of pop tucked way in behind our garbage can.Â*
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote