Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
New Camper

Draining water lines and water heater by pass

We have a 2014 Elavation and I need to know the process of blowing out the water lines with air pressure. And is there a water line drain value somewhere in the system? Where is the hot water heater by pass value?
Fulltimemilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My advice is to google "winterizing an rv". It will direct you to the proper waqy to winterize.There is a "low point" drain valve in your camper...where, I don't know. the heater by pass valve is located in the area of the heater.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yes, agree, do a search on youtube and bet you'll find a bunch of them,
also --> http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=13

quick info--> I use my water pressure regulator inline with an adapter from Amazon to connect my air compressor to it...

first
open the low point drains, take out the water heater anode, and open all faucets to drain all the water gravity feed...

then close all faucets, use the bypass water heater switch, and turn on the compressor to no more than 45 to 60 psi...
go around and open each faucet to blow out the remaining water... do all outlets one at a time, including outside showers, W/D connections, etc...

good luck but you may be too late depending on where you are
Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Good info john. Except most of the water heaters in the RV's now days just have a drain plug to remove. No anode rod any more.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Guess it depends on the mfg then
the suburbans in the redwoods have an anode rod
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Interesting. I wasn't aware that they went back to, or are still using them in an RV.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimemilton View Post
We have a 2014 Elavation and I need to know the process of blowing out the water lines with air pressure. And is there a water line drain value somewhere in the system? Where is the hot water heater by pass value?
Hey Milton,

Where is the water pump located on the Elevation? Also, how are you accessing the back of the water heater; through the basement?

I'm in GA, so didn't winterize last year...but I think I will this year.

Thanks,

Matt.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

No anode rod is one thing I miss about the previous Sunset Trail. Both my Canyon Trail (Gulfstream) and Cougar (Keystone) have Suburban water heaters with anode rods. To me, that's archaic...but I guess they pay less for them than Atwood heaters.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
Hey Milton,

Where is the water pump located on the Elevation? Also, how are you accessing the back of the water heater; through the basement?

I'm in GA, so didn't winterize last year...but I think I will this year.

Thanks,

Matt.
Matt and Milt,
Most of the installed items on my 3612 are only accessed through the cargo compartment which may differ on your 3912. The cargo compartment on mine does not extend to the other side and has a back wall. Six screws removes the inner (back)panel of the cargo compartment, and allows access to the furnace, water pump, water heater, subwoofer, etc. Was able to see the hose for black tank flush and made sure it was not kinked when I could not flush the tank (was a bad flush check valve). I remove the panel every year for winterizing as I like to bypass the water heater using the valves on back, then drain it. This way I don't have to rely on the sanitize/winterize setting on the water selector switch and I'm sure all the lines are properly winterized. Had to pull the furnace this Spring to replace the sail switch - a real pain since I also had to remove the outside intake/exhaust panel to get the only two screws holding the furnace to the compartment floor. While you are in there, check the furnace ducts - mine were not supported and kinked.

Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote