Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

It seems too simple. Winterized our Cruiser 325CK Patriot's fresh water and sewer systemsfor the first time today and finished in almost no time at all, with far less hassle than I expected.

What am I forgetting to do?

--Emptied the hot water tank and opened the water system's low-point valves to drain system as best I could. Bypassed the hot water heater.

--Opened the sewer valves and emptied what little was in that sytem.

--Sucked up the pink RV antifreeze via the hose down near the water pump til bright pink liquid flowed out of the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower and toilet flush mechanism. Did that with both hot and cold water taps.

--Poured a couple gallons of pink stuff down into the gray and black water tanks for good measure and down the traps in the sinks/shower.

Took maybe 20 minutes total. Used something like 4 or5 gallons of antifreeze.

When we owned older travel trailers with systems that required blowing water lines clear with compressed air, it seemed to take forever before water would stop coming out of the system.

So, what am I missing? Seems like I've covered all the bases, but it just seemed way too quick and easy.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Outside shower hookup? I usually forget it is out there. Mine usually takes a little more than a gallon, but time wise you are right on the mark.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I may go a little overkill, but being all the way up in canada might justify it. I blow all the lines before I fill with AF. Then fill the traps, a little for the toilet and a little all the way down to the pull valves. Last year I did mine with 2 gallons- about one gallon for the lines and the remainder to the traps and valves.
Before I depart from the campsite on our last outing for season I blow all the lines and get rid of all the water (dump all waste too). When I get home I fill with pink stuff.
Maybe between both at the campsite and at home I spend almost an hour.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
New Camper

From dbuster's post...."--Sucked up the pink RV antifreeze via the hose down near the water pump

til bright pink liquid flowed out of the kitchen sink, bathroom sink,

shower and toilet flush mechanism. Did that with both hot and cold water

taps
."
FIRST TIME for me to winterize this unit.....I want to do just what dbuster says above here......however.................
Which line is the one to the pump?of the 3 hanging down from under my trailer. I have a 2007 Cruiser 5th wheel, rear bath area,...

..there are 3 lines coming out bottom of trailer from near where the pump is....2 close together and 1 a bit over to the center. One of the 2 close together used to have a valve handle it looks like but it is broken off.....the instructions say to "turn valve at pump towards line to suck AF as noted by dbuster...would that be the "handle" the book refers to? .....however, I cannot SEE the pump as it is in the area between floor inside and the undercover material on outside.

Could I just pour the AF into the water tank fill hole and then use the pump to send it around the system???? Would the pump even find 1 or 2 gals of liquid in that big M-T tank?
THANKS for any feedback on this!

Irish Bird Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We back ours in the garage and turn the heat on in Jan and Feb.. hehe
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I wouldn't put any in the tank. It may take up to 10 gallons before the pick up tube can suck any AF. Then it may take a long time get all of it out. I'm guessing the 3 lines under the trailer you are refering to are 1 for a freshwater tank drain and the others are hot/cold low point drains. Locate your Water pump, it will be hidden behind a cupboard or something. Just run the pump and follow the noise. Attached to the pump you will find the AF pick up tube with the valve you are refering to.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampers
I wouldn't put any in the tank. It may take up to 10 gallons before the pick up tube can suck any AF. Then it may take a long time get all of it out. I'm guessing the 3 lines under the trailer you are refering to are 1 for a freshwater tank drain and the others are hot/cold low point drains. Locate your Water pump, it will be hidden behind a cupboard or something. Just run the pump and follow the noise. Attached to the pump you will find the AF pick up tube with the valve you are refering to.

Matt (Happycampers)..THANK YOU For the response/answer.....You are absolutely CORRECT!

After reading your note I went out to 5'er & found the pump "hiding" under the futon type of couch/bed at wall to upper deck/sleep area.....& the siphon hose for the AF........

However, B4 I got your note, I DID put the AF directly into the tank and pumped it thru that way....did require nearly 3 gal to get it to all the faucets...but it did work....maybe some still in freshwater tank....OK for winter and can flush out come refill in warm weather. Then put a bit of AF in each p-trap for good measure.

FWIW.....I have a friend who has a BLACK lab named CHANCE....

Old 09-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=Captain Mike]We back ours in the garage and turn the heat on in Jan and Feb.. hehe
Maybe someday I will have that option.....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

dbuster don't forget the city water relief valve and the Black tank spray system.....just did our Sunset trail as well.

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie66
dbuster don't forget the city water relief valve and the Black tank spray system.....just did our Sunset trail as well.

How do you put AF through the black tank spray system?

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Sorry I didn't put AF in the black sprayer just disconnected the hose from the outdoor connection to the valve and drained it

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
New Camper

Hi I just purchased a 2013 CrossRoads Z1 ZT21TD toyhauler and IREALLYenjoy the vehicle.
I live in Colorado, andperformingmy FIRST Winterization ofan RV.Im following along in the users manual provided.I am looking for information or another detailed document more specific to my vehicle. To locate the Hot Water By Pass valve? My guess and its justa guess, that I remove four screws from therear dinette bench seatand remove the plywoodto getto the valve? What happens if I drain all the watter and run Anti Freeze throught the hot water heater?

Thanks for you help.
Jm
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

The bypass valve is likely located next to your hot water tank. On my unit, it was behind a panel in the kitchen that I had to unscrew. There actually were two valves that needed to be turned. Yours may be that way, too. I had to turn my valves 90 degrees.

You shouldn't need to run antifreeze into the hot water tank if you've drained it, as it's been explained to me.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
New Camper

[QUOTE=dbuster]The bypass valve is likely located next to your hot water tank. On my unit, it was behind a panel in the kitchen that I had to unscrew. There actually were two valves that needed to be turned. Yours may be that way, too. I had to turn my valves 90 degrees.

You shouldn't need to run antifreeze into the hot water tank if you've drained it, as it's been explained to me.

My book says there will about 2qts of water left in hot water tank....it is ok even if it freezes.

also, said to turn TWO valves on hot water tank 90* when draining holding tank.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Two quarts of water in the water tank will not expand that greatly if frozen. EG- Put a plastic bottle filled with water in the freezer, but only fill it half way. The water will expand upward as it freezes, the same will have with your hot water tank, and it is much thicker than the plastic water bottle. Same goes for the black, grey and fresh water tanks.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I spend a fwe extra min's and drain the Water heater and all of the holding tanks. It's He** replacing the WH besides the expense. Even more expensive to pay some one else to replace it. Take a few min's and drain everything. I even pumped some AF into the black tank spray with an extra pump and short section of garden hose--if that thing freezes and cracks open it's useless. I like mine to well to go back to not having it.

Flyone
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I just blow the black tank sprayer out with 40psi air.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote