Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anybody use either of those things to repel little critters like mice from in and around your trailer when storing for the winter?

How well did they work?

Any other methods you've tried that have worked?

The moth balls and dryer sheets are both things I've heard of. I've tried bothof themin and around our MG over the winter. But I've never been certain that it really did much to dissuade mice from living in my car.

I'd REALLY like to keep mice out of the trailer over the winter.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can absolutely testify the NEITHER solution works. Did the dryer sheets for years, then one year got mice. Tried moth balls, and again got mice.

Better to look for areas where they can enter and close them off.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yeah, that's kind of been our experience with previous trailers, too, and, as I said, with our MG Midget. I've found a couple of places in the fifth-wheel's front baggage compartment where they could get in and sealed those with duct tape -- not exactly a mouse-proof barrier, but it's at least a start.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I shove steel wool in the small holes. I have started mouseproofing again for this winter and see most of the steel wool is still in place.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The best thing that I have found is Fresh Cab. You can get it a local hardware stores. The farmers around here has used it in there tractors and combines and have not had any trouble. Neither have I.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Have used a box of bounce each year, but might have to try the Fresh Cab. Of course, WHERE you park is just as important along with what you are parked on.....grass, gravel, concrete...

2015 Rushmore Springfield

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Mothballs leave a naptha smell of course, they are useful in repelling larger creatures from a building but the smell! I used bounce last year throughout our Zinger 240 prior to placing it in a very large hangar (B-52) for storage.But on the advice of local dealer I also cleaned very thoroughly and used a bleach-solution wipe-down throughout our Zinger. Both options are cheap and have other positives like the residiual smell after six months. My firstwinter storage ( Oct to April) with the Zingerleft no evidence of mice in the Zinger. I will repeat the process this year and hope for the same results.

Edited by: uphaul
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Because I never got mice using dryer sheets I assumed they worked ... until they had a party in my unit one year. Stored in the same place as always. Just goes to show that you can be lucky for a very long time but that is not proof the method used works.

Tried moth balls the next two years. Year one, no mice. Year two, another rodent rodeo in my ST. Again, same place.

Fresh cab has been mentioned on here in the past. A little research showed that is no better than dryer sheets or moth balls. Some people on the Amazon reviews I read actually contended the fresh cab was an attractant, not a deterrent.

Other alternatives as well. Until they fail (and I hope they never do) you're likely to go on believing they work. Of course, you're welcome to do so at your own risk. Hard won wisdom to spend my time and money looking to plug all entry points rather than so called deterrents.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

After 40 years of camping and campers, Fresh Cab outshines dryer sheets, moth balls and other remedies. I use it in the living area (2 bags is enough) and use last year's in the storage compartments. One bag on top of the Motorhome engine keeps critters away as we'll as the generator in motor homes. My Zinger smells good with Fresh Cab; smells like pot pouri.

https://www.nhwheelers.com/pictures/zinger.jpg
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

like the fresh cab. but I also keep a good cat around outside on patrol. no problems yet.

2003 Ford F250

2012 Sahara

From Pigeon Forge TN

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...9/DSC_0093.jpg
jim carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote