Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anybody use either of those things to repel little critters like mice from in and around your trailer when storing for the winter?

How well did they work?

Any other methods you've tried that have worked?

The moth balls and dryer sheets are both things I've heard of. I've tried bothof themin and around our MG over the winter. But I've never been certain that it really did much to dissuade mice from living in my car.

I'd REALLY like to keep mice out of the trailer over the winter.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can absolutely testify the NEITHER solution works. Did the dryer sheets for years, then one year got mice. Tried moth balls, and again got mice.

Better to look for areas where they can enter and close them off.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yeah, that's kind of been our experience with previous trailers, too, and, as I said, with our MG Midget. I've found a couple of places in the fifth-wheel's front baggage compartment where they could get in and sealed those with duct tape -- not exactly a mouse-proof barrier, but it's at least a start.

Twin Cities

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I shove steel wool in the small holes. I have started mouseproofing again for this winter and see most of the steel wool is still in place.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The best thing that I have found is Fresh Cab. You can get it a local hardware stores. The farmers around here has used it in there tractors and combines and have not had any trouble. Neither have I.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Have used a box of bounce each year, but might have to try the Fresh Cab. Of course, WHERE you park is just as important along with what you are parked on.....grass, gravel, concrete...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Mothballs leave a naptha smell of course, they are useful in repelling larger creatures from a building but the smell! I used bounce last year throughout our Zinger 240 prior to placing it in a very large hangar (B-52) for storage.But on the advice of local dealer I also cleaned very thoroughly and used a bleach-solution wipe-down throughout our Zinger. Both options are cheap and have other positives like the residiual smell after six months. My firstwinter storage ( Oct to April) with the Zingerleft no evidence of mice in the Zinger. I will repeat the process this year and hope for the same results.

Edited by: uphaul
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Because I never got mice using dryer sheets I assumed they worked ... until they had a party in my unit one year. Stored in the same place as always. Just goes to show that you can be lucky for a very long time but that is not proof the method used works.

Tried moth balls the next two years. Year one, no mice. Year two, another rodent rodeo in my ST. Again, same place.

Fresh cab has been mentioned on here in the past. A little research showed that is no better than dryer sheets or moth balls. Some people on the Amazon reviews I read actually contended the fresh cab was an attractant, not a deterrent.

Other alternatives as well. Until they fail (and I hope they never do) you're likely to go on believing they work. Of course, you're welcome to do so at your own risk. Hard won wisdom to spend my time and money looking to plug all entry points rather than so called deterrents.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

After 40 years of camping and campers, Fresh Cab outshines dryer sheets, moth balls and other remedies. I use it in the living area (2 bags is enough) and use last year's in the storage compartments. One bag on top of the Motorhome engine keeps critters away as we'll as the generator in motor homes. My Zinger smells good with Fresh Cab; smells like pot pouri.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

like the fresh cab. but I also keep a good cat around outside on patrol. no problems yet.

2003 Ford F250

2012 Sahara

From Pigeon Forge TN

https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...9/DSC_0093.jpg
jim carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Wouldn't it be great if you could just let a cat run around on patrol in the trailer all winter? <grin>

Thanks for all the input. We've gone with four pouches of Fresh Cab (with four more in reserve) and, just cuz we'd already distributed 'em liberally throughout the trailer and its storage lockers, Bounce fabric sheets.

Twin Cities

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you covered all your bases

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

MY WIFE SAYS IF I KEEP IT UP SHE GONNA LEAVE ME IN THE TRAILER ALL WINTER
PARTSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Thought y'all might want to check some "fresh cab" reviews on Amazon.com ....

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Rode...owViewpoints=0
<div style="margin-left: 0.5em; "><nobr><div style="padding-top: 10px; clear: both; width: 564px; "><div style=": left; padding-right: 15px; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; "><obr></span><nobr>

<obr>Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
If you have access to a be able to keep your unit plugged in for the winter there are small devices that you can but in any hardware store that emit a high frequency that rodents do not like. We have had these in our unit for 7 years and never a sign of mice or squirrels. Other campers in the same park have had problems and then tried these devices with success. They just plug into any wall outlet and seem to work great. I have noticed squirrels come to within 3 or 4 feet of our unit then stop and run away as if something had scared them so I think they are good.
denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I have them plugged into my garage at home, no mice since. Of course this may be just coincidence, but i hope not.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Last fall we put fresh cab (2) packs in the main cabin, and (2) packs in the basement, as well as moth balls around the tires and jack feet. Still got mice. saw on an infomercial that oil of pepermint is supposed to repel mice. Anyone out there tried that? The sonic repellers may be worth a try. Anyone have a brand that they think works? Thanks for any feedback.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

We put everything in plastic totes in the storage area. We take the BBQ out. Clean the fifth wheel really well. Then we put a 5 gallon pail with a piece of wood from the floor to the top of the pail as a ladder. We then put antifreeze about 1/4the pail. We put one inside and one inside the storage area. I know it sounds mean that they go up and drown, but I would rather that then them inside havinga party.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

We empty anything food or drink related out and do a really good cleaning.We use bounce dryer sheets and leave a bottle of peppermint oil open with a piece of gauze stuck in the bottle sticking out the top of the bottle. Tt sits in storage on gravel.Was worried this year because tt New home is at the edge of a field and woods are about 150 yards away. So far so good for the 2 years we have been at it. We also never keep food in there when not using it in season.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
We empty anything food or drink related out and do a really good cleaning.We use bounce dryer sheets and leave a bottle of peppermint oil open with a piece of gauze stuck in the bottle sticking out the top of the bottle.
I use the PEPPERMINT oil also. I put a little dab of the oil on a cotton ball and place them all over the camper. The peppermint oil is pretty expensive about $20.00 for a small bottle but well worth it. I also plug all holes under the camper with steel wool.

I found that the FRESH CAB worked well but had to be replaced once a month and in the long run the peppermint oil was cheaper lasted longer and did the same job.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote