Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Site Team

Question Plugged in for winter?

This question is aimed mostly for those who live in the snow and cold belt.

How many leave their camper's battery in the camper and keep the camper plugged into an electrical outlet?

Will keeping it plugged in cause any damage to converter/charger or battery?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Team

I leave the batteries in, but I take the cables off and put one of these on.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2201_200332201

I have done this for years. In fact I just bought another one for the JD. They're on sale now. A lot better price then when I bought the first one.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We have a 50 amp service for the trailer and it is plugged in 100% of the time except when on the road and have not had any issues so far. I did replace the crappy batteries it came with the first year. We head out there just to watch a movie every once in a wile in the winter with some adult beverages.
Our previous MH was also plugged in for about 8 years and only replaced the coach batteries once.

Steve
Old 12-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have taken the battery out for the winter. This year I purchased a battery conditioner at Costco and connected it to the battery. We will see how it does come spring
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I remove the battery and keep it in my basement on a 2 x 4 . I charge it every 3 or 4 months. WE get -40 to -50 C temp. here in the winter. Baby its cold out side . Got a white Christmas!
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I also bring my battery into the heated garage for the winter and stick a 3 amp battery maintainer on every month for the few minutes it takes to bring back to full charge.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I have left my battery hooked up and trailer plugged in the last 3 years. So far no issues and I am Philadelphia PA
Old 12-20-2017, 04:05 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

My unit stays inside a building when not in use. I winterize and then I have a battery disconnect switch. I do plug in at times during the winter to boost the battery. Don’t know if it helps or not. I’ve owned campers for 20 years and that’s how I’ve always done it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BBBCE69D-D911-4D53-983B-DFACECBEB819.jpeg (105.2 KB, 25 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

All full timers leave theirs plugged in all the time...
with the correct 3 stage charger, that's the best way, just check the water periodically.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
All full timers leave theirs plugged in all the time...
with the correct 3 stage charger, that's the best way, just check the water periodically.

Full timers have to leave their rig plugged in all the time. It's being used.
But, they're set up where it's warm and sunny, not up north here where it's cold with nothing being used, like Mark was talking about.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Full timers have to leave their rig plugged in all the time. It's being used.
But, they're set up where it's warm and sunny, not up north here where it's cold with nothing being used, like Mark was talking about.
And the OP question was "will it hurt the inventor/charger or batteries", the answer is NO it won't hurt them, I don't think electricity freezes.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks for letting me know the electricity won't freeze.

But I was more concerned about the converter running in the cold temperatures. And, If the battery is fully charged and either the converter charger or the maintainer charger is not running, will the battery fluid freeze.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I leave the batteries in, but I take the cables off and put one of these on.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2201_200332201

I have done this for years. In fact I just bought another one for the JD. They're on sale now. A lot better price then when I bought the first one.
I have 4 of the Battery Minders I've used for 12 years. I leave the batteries in the vehicles at home and hook these up. We are gone 6-8 months/year and when we come home the batteries are all great. Before I used these, I'd have to buy batteries every 2 maybe 3 years. I've gotten up to 8 years out of a battery using these because they "desulfinate" the battery plates. I"ve always left the battery in the RV connected when plugged in to shore power.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I have 4 of the Battery Minders I've used for 12 years. I leave the batteries in the vehicles at home and hook these up. We are gone 6-8 months/year and when we come home the batteries are all great. Before I used these, I'd have to buy batteries every 2 maybe 3 years. I've gotten up to 8 years out of a battery using these because they "desulfinate" the battery plates. I"ve always left the battery in the RV connected when plugged in to shore power.

I also recommend checking your converter. Many older and lower end RVs have converters that will overcharge the batteries, thus severely limiting their life. For several hundred dollars you can replace it with a "smart" one which senses the batteries and charges accordingly.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

My understanding for bringing in batteries is freezing and bursting if/when they discharge. Most batteries have either distilled water or gel. When they are charged, the contents do not freeze and burst.

I live in New Hampshire. Until this year, I have brought my battery(s) in when I winterized my RVs, put them on shop floor on wood blocks and charged with car charger ever couple months to full charge.

This year I bought purchased a 15 amp to 50 amp dog bone adapter and have left it plugged in. Wanted it to avoid having to drag out the big cord, 50 to 30 dog bone and 30 to 15 plug. Less connections. I'm not sure about whether or not my converter will overcharge or not. I leave it plugged in all season at a seasonal site and have not had an issue. The breaker in the panel has popped a few times and the only change I can think of is that I have this plugged into an GFI outside socket. It is likely the GFI working as it should. Blowing snow or whatever causing the breaker to trip. I've gone into the RV about once a week and the panel indicates full charge.

I've been parking my motorcycles in a Rubbermaid shed for years with a battery tender connected to each and plugged in without any issues.

I think the key to protecting the battery is keeping it charged in cold weather whether in the RV with the RV plugged in or with some sort of charger on the batteries to keep them fully charged. I honestly don't know about the converter over charging the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

The battery gauge will always show fully charged when plugged into shore power, if you want to read your batteries unplug then look at the gauge.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The battery gauge will always show fully charged when plugged into shore power, if you want to read your batteries unplug then look at the gauge.
I should have mentioned the RV was unplugged. I have an extension cord run across the yard. I unplug it before storms and coil it under the RV so I don't snag it with the snow blower. I hadn't plugged it back in yet after clearing snow.
SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

I'm out here in Northern NJ .. So it could be 50 deg or 5 degrees on some days.
I personally remove the battery and bring it into my heated basement. Just use a maintainer during the winter months.

If I ever want to do anything in the camper I either use a flashlight OR I can plug in the rig to the house temporarily to power it up. But for the most part I just leave it unplugged.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote