Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rodent control

I tried the Fresh Cab packets last year in my old Outback. Placed 4 of them throughout the camper. This spring I swept out more mouse dropping than I've ever seen at one time. Not to mention the 2 nests full of baby mice I had to get rid of. My advice is to skip the packets, or only use them as a secondary measure. I don't think they work at all. I'm looking into battery powered electronic deterrents as well as moth balls and peppermint oil. Then a few traps to catch any that slip by. We'll see how it works in the spring then reassess.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Well, had some time this morning so I decided to peak in on the camper to see how everything was. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the cotton balls and peppermint oil were a complete waste of time. Almost every one of the cups were tipped over and the cotton balls gone. I guess it might be a good thing that they're using the cotton balls to make their nest and not my couch or mattress. Anyway, mice droppings all over, including inside the cups that the peppermint oil was placed in. Guess it's time to look into a little more drastic measures.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOURQUIN View Post
Well, had some time this morning so I decided to peak in on the camper to see how everything was. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the cotton balls and peppermint oil were a complete waste of time. Almost every one of the cups were tipped over and the cotton balls gone. I guess it might be a good thing that they're using the cotton balls to make their nest and not my couch or mattress. Anyway, mice droppings all over, including inside the cups that the peppermint oil was placed in. Guess it's time to look into a little more drastic measures.
If using the peppermint oil on cotton balls it has to be reapplied every couple of weeks. The smell will dissipate and then become ineffective.

We have had issues in the past with mice. We had some getting in last year even after I thought I got all the openings sealed up. Come to find out I missed a couple of openings in the frame. This year so far (knock on wood) no mice or even signs of them. I still keep some traps and decon in the trailer and check them on a weekly basis.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

We have the ultra sonic pest doodad plugged in the basement & it works, not so much as a spider for about 2 1/2 years now, NO cobb webbs, no mouse turds, no ants, definitely worth the $10 from Ace Hardware.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I bought 2 battery powered ones to try, no power where the camper is parked. One is in the kitchen, other in in the front storage area. Didn't see any signs of mice in the storage area, but as expressed above, the one inside doesn't seem to be doing much.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Pests

Try, mop bucket with plank from a stairway to allow the rodents to approach it. Insert a wire coat hanger piece through a beer can and suspend this above the bucket. Coat the beer can with peanut butter such that the beer can can still rotate. Fill the bucket halfway with automobile antifreeze. Mouse walks up the gangplank and hops on the beer can and rolls off into the antifreeze. Instant Pickeling, no smell, no mice running off to die in some area you can get to and no proliferation.
Short of that there is a product sprayed under you RV like undercoating that is an excellent choice as well.
Cheers!
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Just built one of these earlier. Was hoping to keep them out of the camper rather than catch them after the fact but at this point I'll take what I can get.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Rodent control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Try, mop bucket with plank from a stairway to allow the rodents to approach it. Insert a wire coat hanger piece through a beer can and suspend this above the bucket. Coat the beer can with peanut butter such that the beer can can still rotate. Fill the bucket halfway with automobile antifreeze. Mouse walks up the gangplank and hops on the beer can and rolls off into the antifreeze. Instant Pickeling, no smell, no mice running off to die in some area you can get to and no proliferation.
Short of that there is a product sprayed under you RV like undercoating that is an excellent choice as well.
Cheers!
I've been using "mouse bucket " with amazing results for forty years.
I've used it in all my deer camps, antifreeze for winter is a must.
I have one in my basement actively working as I write this.
I haven't needed one in any TT because I've made them impenetrable to mice.
Takes a lot of effort though.
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Well, did a quick check on the trailer today. Not as many droppings laying around as last time and actually got 2 of them in the bucket. Also added some moth balls around when I put the bucket in there, not sure if they helped much or not.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Haven't tried the mouse bucket yet. Right now I have five mouse traps baited with peanut butter surrounding the camper. I check them every couple of days. Seems to work good for me.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Don't know if I read it here or somewhere else but I have been sticking a piece of dog food onto the peanut butter on the trap. Been working pretty good so far.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Reminds me I need to go check mine and see how it is doing. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #13
New Camper

Keep a trap for them.
You can't say that mothballs are a waste. It worked for me for removing the pest.
JennBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
Gone Traveling

The moth balls may or may not work, haven't needed to try them, but in my case the smell of moth balls would keep me out, they STINK.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I found that mice were getting in at the corners where each slide meets the RV. After putting steel wool in the openings, I have not had a problem.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

you can also get copper wool, same but wont rust. have used sos pads in a pinch too.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote