Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rushmore with ice-maker - full-timer

I live in my Rushmore Lincoln nearly full time for work in Kentucky. I can see that the water lines are in the climate-controlled storage basements, so they will be fine. The one item that has me puzzled is the water line going to the ice-maker in the frig, which is in the kitchen slideout. I made a closer look today, and what I see is a very short (six inches?) section of blue water line protruding from the main floor area. I seem to recall (don't trust it!) a type of blue water lines that would not rupture from freezing. Is this that? Second item is at the end of this short blue water line is a shutoff valve with a semi-clear water line (looks sort of like aquarium air line) that is about three feet long that goes into the slideout floor behind the frig. I shut the valve off and disconnected this line, figuring it would drain out. After taking it off though and seeing how thick it is, I really don't know that freezing would hurt it to begin with.
For you folks with ice-makers and exposed water line to it, do you shut it off and drain, or wrap the lines, or ... ? I'll have to do whatever Saturday, as the three nights after tomorrow will drop into the 20's.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have the exact same concerns!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro BSer View Post
I have the exact same concerns!
Both tonight and tomorrow night are to be hard freezes, but the proximity of campers to each other here on "contractor row" we usually come in several degrees warmer. There are advantages to being packed in like sardines. Hopefully someone with hard knowledge will jump in. And I'll be sure to post any, uh, "events" and we can share.

In the meantime, I'm slowly putting 3/8" insulation board in areas I think will help get through the winter. So far, I have the back window and both sides of the bed slideout. The slot has clear plastic on both sides, sort of like a double pane window to let some light in and so the wife and I will have some concept of when the sun is coming up. I plan on covering the LR slide out windows and more of the slideout sides. I figure every little bit will help keep the cold out and save some propane!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161120_163212.jpg (567.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20161120_163229.jpg (498.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

When you say "hard freezes" how cold does 'hard' mean to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Mid-20s and below qualify, some say anything under 30 degrees.
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

It got to 13 here and all was ok, but it didn't stay cold very long. As soon as the sun was up it got warm pretty fast, well above freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Got me beat by 10 degrees, I saw 23 at the bottom of the hill. I'm gonna hook my water line back up and hope for the best.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

On my springfield, the fridge water line is tapped from the cold water supply center island, then goes under the floor and out to the fridge that is located in the slide. I believe this line might be exposed to some point, but I have winterized and will not be able to check until spring. If you will be stationary for a bit, might not hurt to invest in some heat tape to wrap the line going to the fridge. The line is a very small clear plastic line.
I also use the bubble wrap on the inside to reflect the heat in the summer and keep the heat in during the colder months of camping.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote