Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Selling a Travel Trailer

Has anyone successfully exchanged a travel trailer or RV for a car? I need to sell this unit, but it's my only possible trade-in, and I still owe money on it.

Help!
cesmart6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Maybe best bet is to sell it yourself and then use the money on a down payment.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

My experience tells me you take a bigger screwing at a car dealer than at an rv dealer, and rv dealer screwings on trade ins are legendary.

My local dealer doesn't usually even want to give me any extra for a camper shell, he prefers I remove it.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

My husband has sold several trailers and our previous truck using Kijiji (online marketplace similar to Craig's List). The key is to have the item in the best condition possible, any and all minor repair items attended to, and have it just as clean as you can inside and out. Post lots of really good pictures and as much information as you have.

He also parked the item in a very conspicuous place along a well travelled road.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmart6 View Post
Has anyone successfully exchanged a travel trailer or RV for a car? I need to sell this unit, but it's my only possible trade-in, and I still owe money on it.

Help!
Just a reminder if you list on web sites be prepared for scammers wanting to rip you off. For instance on eBay scammers will want to send you a money order to purchase. Then they will turn around and tell eBay they didn't get the product. eBay will pay them back and your left to reimburse eBay. But by that time the cashiers check or money order is fraudulent and your still stuck to reimburse eBay. That's why I prefer selling mine for cash only. Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Selling a Travel Trailer

Thank you all for your wisdom and suggestions!
cesmart6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Just a reminder if you list on web sites be prepared for scammers wanting to rip you off. For instance on eBay scammers will want to send you a money order to purchase. Then they will turn around and tell eBay they didn't get the product. eBay will pay them back and your left to reimburse eBay. But by that time the cashiers check or money order is fraudulent and your still stuck to reimburse eBay. That's why I prefer selling mine for cash only. Just a thought.
I'm not sure how it works, but there is a similar scam with PayPal.
Another thing is you have to get out from under your finance company, who holds the title. A good sale should go like this:
1. Sell the TT for cash or check, listing the TT with VIN, on a receipt that says "as is," or with whatever you agree to, and state "Title to be furnished in 30 days." State the full sales price exactly. State what accessories are included (television, tongue jack, whatever) and what you are NOT including (locks, 30 amp extension cable, hydraulic jack, etc)
2. Take the money, and pay off the title with the loan company. Add money out of pocket if the sale price wasn't enough. Tell them you need the title back soon.
3. With the title back in your hands, sign the release on the back, and make it out to the buyer.
4. Get that title in the hands of the buyer ASAP. You promised!
5. Check with your own state to see if the license plate should be transferred. Here in SC, you get credit for turning it in, while the buyer buys his/her own. Gets complicated with property taxes. They will go by the price on the sales receipt. Don't fudge, or try to do them a favor "under the table." The price is the price!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:32 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

To help limit the amount of scamming from my experience with on line postings such as Ebay or Craigslist................I don't use my email address. I know you have to have one to register and post. But I always make it a point to say CALL ME. And tell them no emails will be answered. Spell out your entire phone number too. The computers can't pick that up as easily. IMO, If the person interested can't talk to you on the phone, they are not worth your time. Also, have a friend or two come over to "visit" if individuals are coming to look at it for safety reasons. Be safe in your selling!
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:42 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igmire01 View Post
To help limit the amount of scamming from my experience with on line postings such as Ebay or Craigslist................I don't use my email address. I know you have to have one to register and post. But I always make it a point to say CALL ME. And tell them no emails will be answered. Spell out your entire phone number too. The computers can't pick that up as easily. IMO, If the person interested can't talk to you on the phone, they are not worth your time. Also, have a friend or two come over to "visit" if individuals are coming to look at it for safety reasons. Be safe in your selling!
Yes I agree. Good point also.

Tags
financing, sell rv, trade-in