Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Now that I have learned that the fresh water holding tank does not drain completely (drain line located on the side - rather than the bottom), I can understand why I couldn't remove the bleach taste when I sanitized last spring. I also learned that I should not have put any antifreeze in the tank. It appears that dilution is the only way to remove remaining liquid in the tank (without tipping the 5er). Any tricks for sanitizing the tank? I would prefer not to relocated the drain line if I don't have to.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Flushing is all that I can think of except you might try a strong mixture of baking soda and water. Not sure if baking soda will help but it may be worth a try. A strong bleach taste may mean you used too much. I use about 3/4 cup in an almost fulltank of water, let it sit for 24 hours and then flush the tank and lines3 or so times.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

First off, I like seeing the word "Spring-erizing" in December. It brightened my day. (It is 40 and raining here)

I get the bleach out ofour tank by diluting it. After letting it sit with the initial bleach mixture I drain it, fill it, let it sit for about 10 minutes, drain it, fill it, let it sit for another 10 minutes or so then drain it again. That seems to take care of the bleach for me. While it is sitting with the "fresh" water in the tank I use my city water hook up to flush out the lines. That way I know the water that I am using to flush out the lines is bleach free. I have heard of some folks using baking soda to "remove" the bleach smell and taste but I have never felt it necessary. I never thought about "tipping" the 5er. If you knew which side of the tank the drain was on you could pull it up on some blocks and that would lean it maybe enough to improve the drainage. You got me thinking now...I may try bringing up the nose or lowering it with the landing gear to see if the drain is maybe at the front or back of the tank. I am going to have to sanitize our tanks ina couple of weeks for our Disney trip so I may try this if it isn't too cold when I do it.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

40 degrees. Man that is summer for where I am. It got down to 5 degrees last night here in SE Idaho. We are heading South soon and can not wait.

As for the fresh water tank

I just filled drained then would put about 20 gallons in and drain. Did this about 10 times in the spring. Then during the season I always drained when I got back from a trip and refill. Then before next trip drain and add about 20 gallons and drain 3 or 4 times. I know this is a headache but without modifying thedrain it is the best I can recommend.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm interested in this as well (knowing how the plumbing on the fresh water tank works).
My reason is my 5vr Cruiser is currently located at deer camp. It is pretty level side to side but is slightly high from the front (I extended the front legs all the way without knowing how far I needed to lower to level, lesson learned) . My fresh water meter showed 1/3 tank (2 lights) but I was having a hard time getting water into the water pump (tank must have been much lower than 1/3 tank) or pickup is not located at the bottom of the tank.

Any help understanding this is appreciated.

Preston, Retired Army (1995}

2010 CF27RLX being towed by a 2005 F350 dually 6.0 Powerstroke, automatic FX4, Airlift Airbags, Reese 15K Hitch
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Retiree
I'm interested in this as well (knowing how the plumbing on the fresh water tank works).
My reason is my 5vr Cruiser is currently located at deer camp. It is pretty level side to side but is slightly high from the front (I extended the front legs all the way without knowing how far I needed to lower to level, lesson learned) . My fresh water meter showed 1/3 tank (2 lights) but I was having a hard time getting water into the water pump (tank must have been much lower than 1/3 tank) or pickup is not located at the bottom of the tank.

Any help understanding this is appreciated.
This should explain your problem. This is a pic of the water tank (out from the trailer) standing on end. Hole on left is for the pick up line to pump, drain line is still attached on the right.

">
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

you could try Paines pointers #41 looks like that was what old farmer was working on.I dont know how much more you would get out of the drain tube but it will pickup with the pump to get more water out of the tank.Here is his link http://www.gregpaine.com/
then just click on crossroads cruiser and the pic for 41

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I guess this is one thing I like my Zinger for drain is in the bottem of tank and the bottom slopes to the drain. I get every drop of water out. It is a 40 gal. tank.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote