Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Stabilize and how about pitch for winter?

In northeast I'm storing my TT outdoors and uncovered.
I previously had a minor leak where the EPDM rubber roof meets the aluminum front cap. 2012 Zinger
I've fixed the leak area very successfully per recommended forum posts using Eterna bond placed two four inch wide strips full width of TT.
The excellent design with the 4" crown in roof creates quite a puddle area from the last high point of roof rib down to the front cap seam area. I've pitched dramatically down to rid the water even had the hitch in the dirt but still puddles there.
What do most do? Level, or pitch? And how about stabilizers leave down or up?
I'm on a gravel pad, with boards under tires we do get frost (heave) but I do not enter in winter. Thanks for any input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (251.3 KB, 15 views)
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Team

This is MY opinion.

I don't, and wouldn't leave the stabilizers down. There isn't any need for that.
As far as pitch. It sounds like you have tried the up and down front to back thing without any good results. Why don't you entertain the thought of setting level front to back and pitch high on one side or the other? That should allow water to run off the rib sideways. As long as you don't have a slide out, and you're not in it during the winter, it might work.
I see RV's sitting around the country on side hills. Something to think about anyway.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Stabilize and pitch

Thanks Lloyd not a bad idea, sometimes you can't see the obvious until someone points it out. I'll give a try.
I just don't want the water and or melted snow sitting there. Can not pitch either direction front to back due to roof crown
If you can see by the attached photo the two strips of 4" Eternabond, is sealed real well. I think it was your post I initially followed and the recommendation of a bead of self leveling caulk along the taped edges.
Admittedly it doesn't look that good mostly due to once that Eternabond sticks down there is no repositioning it.
If you and others will indulge......and respond am I right in thinking and or reading other posts that CR does not encourage covering due to roof breathing?
Do you cover yours Lloyd? My previous TT brand FR I covered with a good Adco cover and I experienced roof substrate de lamination, the roof was not EPDM but TPO if that matters. The TPO was perfect, but delaminated under it?? Thanks for any input. I will also leave stabs up, I always kept them down in winter..
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Where do you store it ?
Is it somewhere you can build a simple 'lean-to' over it ?

6 to 8 4x4 post, a few cross members and some long lasting roof panels...
Metal Roofing - Roof Panels - Roofing - Roofing & Gutters - Â*The Home Depot

But build it large enough for the NEXT RV

Ask me how I know
Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Do you cover yours Lloyd? My previous TT brand FR I covered with a good Adco cover and I experienced roof substrate de lamination, the roof was not EPDM but TPO if that matters. The TPO was perfect, but delaminated under it?? Thanks for any input. I will also leave stabs up, I always kept them down in winter..
Yes, mine is covered---when it's at home. I'm fortunate enough to have a building for it. Even before we put the building up, I rented space so our RV's could be inside protected from snow weight in the winter, and that constant melting and refreezing that goes on here in the north. Plus the sun in the summer seems to be hard on everything related to an RV.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

As Loyd said if you don't cover it you can run the tires on one side up on 2x10 stacked as high as you need for the water to run off the side