Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
New Camper

Question Water heater bypass valve.

Hi. I am a new owner of a 2017 Z1 crossroads and trying to figure out how to winterize. I have read that I need to turn the bypass valve on the water heater but have no clue to look. I have found the water pump but nothing like a hot water tank. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks
sbhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The water heater will have an access panel on the outside of the rig. Note this location and go inside the rig to the same area. You need to access the bypass valves on the inside of the rig and on the backside of the WH. Your water heater may be behind a panel, under a cabinet, etc, so look carefully.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

This is the bypass valve picture.To winterized and bypass the water heater you need to open the middle valve and close the inlet water valve. You bypass the water heater so you don't fill it with RV antifreeze. But make sure you drain you water heater. You drain your water heater from the outside access panel.Its usually a plastic plug. However I've always replace mine with a metal valve that you can open and close to drain without taking the plug out.see the first picture is the replacement plug and the second picture is the bypass picture.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks, I found the water heating unit on the outside and kind of thought the other might be on the inside only problem is that it is right next to the bed and now have to figure out how to get in to find the rest. The problem is there is a cabinet covered with carpeting and can not seem to see screws to open this up. You can tel it comes apart but to afraid of breaking something if we pull up on it to hard.
sbhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Do you not have a storage compartment just beside the water heater. Usually in the storage compartment there is a false wall/petition and the water heater is behind that.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Did your 2017 Z-1 not come with all the pamphlets showing exactly how to access this? Mine I need to remove the table cushions and remove the wood that those rest on.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

A previous trailer of ours had the carpeted access panel as well. If you feel along the front edges you will probably find some screws holding it on. On ours I added a hinge to one end and a cabinet catch on the other so I wouldn't have to mess with the screws and made for quicker and easier access.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have a dumb question about valves. Is it universal that when the valve handles are perpendicular to the lines they are closed and parallel to the lines open? Based on Papa-T's picture that looks to be the case but I did a lot of head scratching looking at my pump compartment when winterizing for the first time last week. I managed to get pink all through the lines but just had some uncertainty about the valve handle positions.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Site Team

Maybe this will help you out.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Site Team

So Lloyd, the pic shows how the valves should be set for camping use not winterizing. Correct? And they should be set the opposite for winterizing?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Site Team

That's the way I have always thought it worked.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Hot water tank picture

In this picture is this for when it is winterized or when we are camping all summer (normal use)?? HELP
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Regular summer use...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
I have a dumb question about valves. Is it universal that when the valve handles are perpendicular to the lines they are closed and parallel to the lines open? Based on Papa-T's picture that looks to be the case but I did a lot of head scratching looking at my pump compartment when winterizing for the first time last week. I managed to get pink all through the lines but just had some uncertainty about the valve handle positions.
you are thinking correctly. parallel to line is open.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #15
Site Team

Cross is off inline is open. A little tip : after you winterize return the valves to the summer position. Saves having to access the lines to change the valves again especially if they are hard to get to.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Cross is off inline is open. A little tip : after you winterize return the valves to the summer position. Saves having to access the lines to change the valves again especially if they are hard to get to.

I leave mine in winter position and covers off so I can flush antifreeze out of lines and not get any in HW tank.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #17
Site Team

Back when I used anti freeze I would run some into the water heater till it came out the drain then bypass it so it would get flushed in the spring. Leave the drain open and flush till clear then put drain plug in and continue till you have clear water everywhere. I have had some campers that the water heater was a real pain to get to so just change the valves back while I was there and be done then in spring give it a good flush and your good to go.

However you do it works for you. The main thing is protecting the water lines.

Happy Camping
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
New Camper

Some are located inside of the closet on the left hand side, there is a panel cover to remove for access.
squid46 is offline   Reply With Quote