Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2008 Zinger. The owner's manual says we should repack the wheel bearings with grease every season. I don't understand why this is necessary. Is it necessary to do it every year even if we have only driven 1000 miles this summer? Or can I do it every second year?
rweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If I recall correctly, my manual says every 2 years, with a shot of grease in between. If you purchased the unit used and don't know when the last time it was done, it may be a good time to check it out and to adjust/inspect the brakes. If you did it last year, you may be alright. If it has ez lube axles you could give it one pump of grease.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you use the EZ lube zirk, keep in mind it only adds grease to the inside bearing.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would never pump grease through the easylube. I check brakes every year, put lots of miles on. pack bearings every 3 year or if they look dry at brake check.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We haven't used out EZ lubes, either. Our unit sits seasonal most of the time, so we will likely go 3 years on repack. I did our pop-up every 2 years. If you travel like alot on this forum, every year may be necessary.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

When we first got our 5er the dealer said every couple of years or 5000 miles to have the bearings repacked. Just pulled up the Lipperts website said "Bearing grease should be replaced every 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first." . I think this is a little over kill but I do check and repack yearly. It is just something I do as part of the getting ready for the summer trips.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi
When we first got our 5er the dealer said every couple of years or 5000 miles to have the bearings repacked. Just pulled up the Lipperts website said "Bearing grease should be replaced every 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first." . I think this is a little over kill but I do check and repack yearly. It is just something I do as part of the getting ready for the summer trips.
Probably a good rule of thumb, better to be safe than sorry. Bought mine in Apr 2011 and drove home, 800 mi, then to Fl, 800 mi, then back to Myrtle Beach. Found some play in one of the tires(bearings) took it in and one of the bearings was burnt and frozen to the hub and basicly had disintegrated. Now I check and usually repack yearly, and do not like the EZ lube thing, too many things can go wrong, in my mind. And of course it depends if you DIY or pay to have it done. .02$

Travel Well / Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I made an error on my old trailer by using grease that was for ball joints and should have used the hi-temp bearing grease. After using the wrong grease I made it about 500 miles and had bearing failure. It was a hot time in the summer in south Kansas. Not thinking about wrong grease I replace the bearings and did use the HI-temp grease that I had with me. Went on to Calif. and then up to Salt Lake and then the other side failed, on top of Mt. at the open pit copper mine. Left unit overnight at open pit mine (The employees at the mine was sure very helpful). Replaced bearing the next morn and went to Park City Ut. and spent the night. Knowing I-80 I pulled the wheels and checked both sides and all ok. After getting back to MO. I then woke up to the fact I had used the wrong grease. I no longer have that unit, now have a Xroads, but carry the correct grease and 2 sets of spare bearings and seals. Hope my stupid error helps others.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Since we got our Seville, we have averaged just under 10,000 miles per year. So closing in on 40k on this unit. By my local self weigh, average travelling weight is around 15,750 pounds. I use the easy lubes, just a couple shots each maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Repacked the bearings for the first time this spring, brakes were still good.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote