Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Built a new shop on my acreage two years ago - 2,000 square feet with radiant infloor heat. Didn't want the profile higher than the house and decided to go with 14' walls and 12' doors when I built it. This was a great idea for our travel trailer that was only 10'9" high. Flash forward a year later and we sell the travel trailer and buy our Cruiser Patriot CF345RF - 12'9" tall - tried to fit it in the shop last fall when we brought it home in October - no go - unit too high - just about took out the air conditioner which is on the back slope of the unit. Unit was winterized when we bought it so didn't have to do it last fall. Due to living out of town and mice, we don't like our trailer outside and we were fortunate last year that we had no issues through winter - used the electronic deterrents and Fresh Cab.

So, figured I would try something different this year. I found 4 X 14" 6 bolt trailer wheels (not an easy find) and mounted low profile 14" car tires on them (not sufficient for weight long term - but we would see) and since my shop has gravel out front decided to excavate a bit of a slope down away from the door to keep the front end lower on entry. Several of my friends felt this was not going to work but thankfully for our mid profile 5th wheels (lower in the front and back!), SUCCESS!! Got it into the shop today with several inches to spare - then had to put the other wheels back on inside the shop so they could carry the weight for winter. If we had a Rushmore - this wouldn't have been possible - glad to have my Cruiser!! Now I can clean the roof and wash it this winter at my leisure - able to open all slides while in the shop. Also allows me to continue a few modifications on it at any time and be ready for 2014 camping.

Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

watch your head around that ceiling fan when you are on the roof.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a shorter rod for the ceiling fan - I'm going to install that right away!! I can't even turn it on right now it is so close!! It wasn't that close until I put the wheels back on - raised it significantly higher.

And I should point out I have two 12' doors into my shop so this is just one side - I can still access the other side.

I had the 5th wheel hitch in maneuver and the air bags drained in the truck in order to lower the butt end of my vehicle.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Indoor storage that is a wonderful thing!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I wish we had a building to store ours in the summer months !, today was the first day I opened the slides ina month or two, I was expecting to see some type of heat related issues in the interior, but was happy to see none. now is the time to start to thing about a weekend trip !
Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

That sure does look nice. I hope to have one or build one after we move next year. I may have to go half as big for a shop and trailer storage. I must agree that I will have to plan for trailer height.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Nice - envy you - our's sits outside in the winter. Used to cover them but got too much chafing on the sides and back.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Down here we have the opposite problem, too much heat and sun in the summer. My building is 18x44 and the door is 14 ft wide and 13.5 ft high so the Cruiser is an ez fit. The truck sits next to the fiver in the standard garage. If you don't have garage door openers, the Chamberlin Liftmaster jack-shaft opener is excellent.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Scott
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your building alone? I would love to do something like that for our 30SK.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Down here we have the opposite problem, too much heat and sun in the summer. My building is 18x44 and the door is 14 ft wide and 13.5 ft high so the Cruiser is an ez fit. The truck sits next to the fiver in the standard garage. If you don't have garage door openers, the Chamberlin Liftmaster jack-shaft opener is excellent.

Top left corner of last picture - Chamberlain LiftMaster 3800. Have them on both doors - changing out my doors in the garage in house with the same units this winter - quiet and powerful.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Very cool way of getting it in for winter.

Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I'm glad I live in the Deep South and don't have to worry about Winter. We use ours more in the winter months, fishing is great.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Green! Thats the color of envy.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT
Scott
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your building alone? I would love to do something like that for our 30SK.
Probably easier to break it down by parts - it's my dream shop and it's already too small! To me this was a 25 year investment, I work on my own vehicles, rebuilding a 1935 Chev Standard 3 window coupe right now, weld, mechanics, woodwork, etc. Also stores the tractor and my toys.

Bulldozer to level rolling hill and pack ground $2,800
Concrete floor (5" thick high compression - pumped due to in floor heating) materials & labor $18,000
Materials for building (2X6 construction, 16" OC, 3/8" OSB sheathing, engineered trusses 24" OC, 1/2" plywood roof, metal roof, doors, windows, trim, etc.) $22,000
Commercial framers (framing, sheathing and roof only - labor) $11,000
Septic tank and water line from house (9 feet deep due to frost level) materials & labor $4,500
Natural gas line, in floor non-oxygenated pex (2,300 feet-1 foot on center - 9 loops), Barrier XT 1.25" insulation under concrete $8,000
Drywall, taping,etc. materials & labor $7,000
Insulation R22 walls, R50 blown in attic - materials only $4,000
Electrical wiring & lighting - materials only $4,500
Paint - materials only $1,000
97% efficiency NG wall mount boiler, piping, indirect water heater, manifolds, pumps, etc. $18,000
Stucco exterior to match the house (wire, scratch & acrylic finish coat) materials & labor $14,000
Bathroom plumbing & fixtures materials only $1,200

$115,000 to date!! And saved about $30k in labor so far for what I did myself. I said from the start if you want to do it right - plan ahead and just do it all. Also was pretty much able to pay for it as it went because this was all spread over 24 months.

Just to build it basic - concrete, materials, framing, steel siding, etc. (without insulation, electrical, plumbing) $60,000 would just build it.

I would have framed it myself but not happening due to size. I've helped build houses and built my own addition on previous house and the garage for myself in the past but this job required a zoom boom.

I wired all electrical and service, lighting, bathroom plumbing, exhaust fans, ceiling fans, installed insulation, interior framing (office/bathroom/wife's ceramic room/ reloading mezzanine), painting - sprayed, overhead doors, openers, entry doors , windows, central vac lines and more - all by my lonesome, although my daughter helped me Typar the building exterior. Designed and blue printed the project myself.

Could probably add $5k for miscellaneous, but just adding it up makes me feel broke. Took two years to complete due to getting screwed around by a couple of plumbers and previous stucco guy. Framed and locked up over 6 weeks in fall of 2011 - no heat first winter. Then weekend work to do the above while waiting for different trades people. Sucks to have a great economy up here right now. Heated electric 2nd winter since it was drywalled and I wanted to work in it - and finally radiant heat is complete for this winter. Still some work to do to complete 3 piece bathroom and office area now that the plumbers are finally done installing the boiler, etc.

Still to come - BendPak 10,000 pound asymmetric hoist - and then she is done!! Except in 5 to 10 years I already want to add another 1,000 square feet.

That was probably more info than anybody needed to know - I'm sure it would be cheaper in the USA but it gives you some ideas on the costs if you go hog wild!

Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

A little perspective. Shop is 50' wide by 40' deep.

We have a walkout basement to the rear of the house on 5 acres total. 15 minutes to the back door of my office in the city. It is our home and recreation property all in one and how I keep my sanity. White tailed deer feed in our yard and the occasional moose wanders through. Shame we are in a no hunting zone but I like my wildlife on the move and on my table!! Just a short jaunt to some of my favorite hunting grounds.

Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Scott,

You forgot the cost of the garage doors and door openers maybe?

Mine costs less due to our location needing less insulation and foundation costs and just intended for RV storage.

$5 per SF for all steel and roof insulation
$5 per SF for welding/erecting frame and installing all panels, trim gutters
$5 per SF for slab

$1500 for one garage door and door opener
$1000 for sidewall insulation
$500 for electrical supplies
$400 for 12V macerator pump and line to septic system

So, just over $15k for the RV storage

We lost our house in a wildfire and as soon as the steel building was up, we moved the Cruiser in and lived there while we finished the inside of the house.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

T16 insulated O/H doors and jack shaft openers were in materials package above and I installed them myself. I know I can live in the shop if we need to - or if my wife kicks me out because I'm spending too much time out there!!

I know we could have done it a lot cheaper if I just wanted it for storage but it's kind of my home away from home. Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Nice lifestyle Scott good for you and yours. Enjoy!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy
Nice lifestyle Scott good for you and yours. Â*Enjoy!
Thanks. I've been self employed for the last 22 years and we've really only been able to let ourselves start to enjoy the benefits in the last 6 years so we feel very blessed. And I continue to work hard so we can play hard. I'm glad to say I love my work and wouldn't mind doing it for 20 more years. Our little slice of heaven keeps me sane. The RVing for a month every year keeps my wife sane because I work 60 hours a week. She demands a few other getaways a year for her sanity and mine as well.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

WOW !!!!!!

Scott
Thanks for your answer to my question on cost. A little too much for me, but brother you did it right. Thinking of doing something for our 30SK, but not sure yet what that will be.

Al
Thanks to you also. What you have done is more like what I would be able to put up. Just retired so if I did anything it would be over a couple of years.

2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote