Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
New Camper

If i decide to order my 2010 29Rk, whats the advantage of 16" tires versus 15" tires or disadvantages?
patbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The 16" can handle more weight and has more surface for longer life.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Nothing that I can see, especially if you get or have a good quality tire in the first place.

The only advantage is going to a load range "D" or "E", which is an eight-five psi tire.

Of course, a lot will depend on your individually loaded uinit andthe amount of miles you pull the unit in a years time.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would agree with greyeagle, on a 29RK it is not going to gain you anything other than personal preferance and looks. We had a 29RK for 4 years with the 15" aluminum wheels with the load range D tires and we never had a problem. If we had kept it long enough to replace the tires I was going to go with E range tires but D would have been fine as long as they are good tires not the China crap.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

One thing I think the E rated tire does for you is stops some of the movement while parked.The stiffer sidewalls have to stop some bouncing.I wouldn't pay a lot extra for 16 in wheels,but I do think the E tire would do better.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Over at rv.net there have been many debates on ST vs. LT tires on trailers. You might want to read some of the posts.

15" tires are only available in ST type and for the most part are made in China. Many have had no problems with these tires while others have had them last only a thousand miles or so. Some, such as the Maxxis brand seem to get better reviews than others.

For a 16" wheel you have the option of ST or American manufactured LT tires. If you wish to spend the money you can even purchase and all steel radial by Michelin. I think a lot has to do with how you will be using your trailer. Close to home short trips...it may not make any difference. We do a lot of traveling on the Interstate highways so I wanted an American made LT tire.

Good luck in your decision.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
One thing I think the E rated tire does for you is stops some of the movement while parked.The stiffer sidewalls have to stop some bouncing.I wouldn't pay a lot extra for 16 in wheels,but I do think the E tire would do better.
Very astute observation and very correct theory.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

You can also run load range E tires on the 15" wheels and they work just fine. Maxxis is a goodbrand to do that with.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We had our share of blowouts on our other 5er ( 15 inch Carlisle's ). I wanted to upgrade to an E rated tire but a few years ago you could not find anyone who made a E rated 15 inch tire but you could find it in a 16 inch. That is one reason i think more people wanted 16 inch wheels including myself. We just bought the new Cruiser 31RE and it came with 15 Load range D tires. There are a few companies who now make a 15 inchE rated tire including Maxxis which we will be putting on in the spring. We will be going to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks so i am hopeing these new D rated tires that came on this 5er can at least make it down there and back (1500 miles) before i replace them. Craig
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Our Missions on our 09' are ok so far, 5K miles or so of travel. One tire is wearing funny and was replaced by Mission.

To be honest, I am waiting for Goodyear to get their Marathon's in full production here in the USA again. They had a press release that they were coming back here for the tires. I have also read nothing but good about Maxxis tires, too.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
Our Missions on our 09' are ok so far, 5K miles or so of travel. One tire is wearing funny and was replaced by Mission.-snip-
I'd suggest, based on past history and experience, that you keep a very close eye on that one tire which was wearing.

If the new replacement tire starts doing the same, it's highly likely that you have one of the axles that the hubs were welded wrongby the axle mfger. Strongly suggest that you get a tire depth gauge, at your local auto parts place. Check the depth in the area where the other tire was wearing before your leave then again when you get home.

IF you detect an unusual wear pattern, then you can safely assume you have an axle problem, rather than tire. This being the case, I'd strongly suggest calling Crossroads CS immediately and then put it in writing and fax it to them. Don't sit on it, your warranty will be up before you know it.

I went thru the same thing on our CF28CK some years back. Crossroads replaced both my axles and all four tires.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote