Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

What is everyone seeing at the Rv Shows for the new models. Some of the new Crossroads floor plans are looking pretty good. Wife would like to have a fireplace. Might try to put one in my 08. Like to hear from you guys.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
They have some nice plans for those without families. Really like the 32Mk and the other rear living suites. As far as family plans I am a bit disappointed - the loft plan is impractical for children over the age of 5. The loft sits just about 2" from the roof. I don't know many kids who want to sleep less then 24" from the roof in the summer! The front bunk layout is nice but they should include the slide in the front room and put either a couch or ent. center in it to make space.

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Website for the St. Louis show this weekend doesn't even list a Cruiser or CrossRoads dealer!!!

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

WE were at a RV show today in Grand Rapids Mi over 200 Rv. There were 3 Cruisers, they looked real nice but we still like our 05 28CK. I have made 59 mods to it. I also installed a fireplace. We're happy with the unit we have now. There seemed to be lookers but not many buyers.

ThreePutt

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

i always look foward to our local show. last year there was'nt a show. so i'm going to look around and see whats remotely close to us. anyone have any reccommendations for a show around long island n.y.?

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier
Website for the St. Louis show this weekend doesn't even list a Cruiser or CrossRoads dealer!!!

Talked with Josh Heyerling from Crossroads at the Grand Rapids RV Show. He was there for the Zinger line. Guess Crossroads hasn't had a presence in St Louis in many years. What a shame considering the market. Zingers were predictable (in a good way). Unfortunately one of our least favorite dealers handles the local Zinger market. Let Josh know we've had our ST for two years and couldn't be happier. Right trailer for us and we've been pleased with the quality. No rude surprises, making me happier yet.

The dealership where we bought ours was there showing Sunset Trails and Cruiser CTX 5ers. As most of you know the Sunset Trail line has been redesigned to compete with Passports & etc in the ultra lite market. Our ST29RL has been migrated into the Cruiser CTX lineup. Looked through the door of the new Sunset Trail. I'm not a huge fan of the ultra lite models so I won't comment on the line. I also looked through the door of the Cruiser CTX lineup. Very familiar to this Sunset Trail Owner. Good fit/finish/value by all appearances. Did not have any CTX trailers on display so did not get a chance to see those.

As 3Putt noted there didn't seem to be many serious buyers. Sales people were busy talking among themselves, not greeting customers and guests. Saw a couple of salesman trying to close deals. Didn't see any sales people I recognized and was surprised the sales manager for the largest dealer in west Michigan wasn't there, nor the two owners i know of family owned/operated dealerships. They have always been there in the past every night of the show. Not this year! If demeanor and behavior tell a story, the local RV dealers are really hurting.

Glad to see many campgrounds represented including several that had not been there in the past. They always had people around their displays so I'd say camping is alive and well, even if RV sales may not be.

Since we'll have a season lease this year we did the unthinkable...looked at some park model displays. If we enjoy the experience that is likely our next move. Even worse, looked at golf carts. Good thing I need the exercise or we may just have one delivered when we get our trailer set up.

Saw some clientsand even the RV Service Center that works on our trailer. Hoping it was just a bad night for the dealerships and that they have a good show. Should have a smaller show coming and then it will be time to get busy so we're ready when the season begins.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I'm off to the Boston show tomorrow - I'll report back on my experience. Hope it's worth the 20$ for the wife and I to get in.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Cleveland just closed the show last week, 700 units, no crossroads....I was told the expense to lease a spot was in excess of 4K and crossroads does not help or contribute to the expense....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Just got back from the Boston show - every major 5th wheel there except Cruiser. They did have several Zinger's and a Slingshot with the factory rep. there. When I asked why no Cruiser's I was told it was due to height restrictions. I guess the 2 toyhaulers and 5 Montana's and 2 Carriage products are shorter then the Cruiser? I guess I don't buy it.

As far as the show it was great, hundreds of RV's - lots of serious tire kickers at the show this year. I walked into the new Heartland Greystone which is a cross between the Open Range and Cruiser 5th wheels. I'm not a big Heartland fan but it was REAL CLEAR they did some serious homework on these 5th wheels. They matched feature for feature the Open Range and Cruiser models. Solid counter's, hand glazed lower cabinets, distressed upper cabinets, 8 cuf fridge, fast-recovery HW system, LARGE pass thru with the new bus-style baggage doors for the basement whichareover 1 1/2" thick(!) with large metal locks, 100% finished pass thru area (no wires, plumbing or other unsightly systems), great fit and finish. I was actually amazed. In addition, it features a redesigned 88 degree front cap and the filon is impregnated with a bright grey-metallic paint.

I hope Crossroads makes more efforts to get into these shows and they better keep at least one eye on Heartlands' new Greystone.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
Just got back from the Boston show - every major 5th wheel there except Cruiser. They did have several Zinger's and a Slingshot with the factory rep. there. When I asked why no Cruiser's I was told it was due to height restrictions. I guess the 2 toyhaulers and 5 Montana's and 2 Carriage products are shorter then the Cruiser? I guess I don't buy it.

As far as the show it was great, hundreds of RV's - lots of serious tire kickers at the show this year. I walked into the new Heartland Greystone which is a cross between the Open Range and Cruiser 5th wheels. I'm not a big Heartland fan but it was REAL CLEAR they did some serious homework on these 5th wheels. They matched feature for feature the Open Range and Cruiser models. Solid counter's, hand glazed lower cabinets, distressed upper cabinets, 8 cuf fridge, fast-recovery HW system, LARGE pass thru with the new bus-style baggage doors for the basement whichareover 1 1/2" thick(!) with large metal locks, 100% finished pass thru area (no wires, plumbing or other unsightly systems), great fit and finish. I was actually amazed. In addition, it features a redesigned 88 degree front cap and the filon is impregnated with a bright grey-metallic paint.

I hope Crossroads makes more efforts to get into these shows and they better keep at least one eye on Heartlands' new Greystone.

It's really the dealers who need to commit to attending the shows. Whether other manufacturers and Crossroads share in the cost or not, I don't know. Seems if CR is sending factory reps to the show they are certainly committing resources.

I didn't look at the Heartland. Like you I haven't been a fan. Good fit and finish seems hard to believe. Makes me wonder if Zebras can changer their stripes, leopards change their spots or Heartland change their quality control.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I agree - but a few former Cruiser dealers (including where I bought mine) in the New England area have given up the Cruiser line. Perhaps it's a little give and take on the dealer network and CR's side of things

As far as the Heartland, I have owned a handful of RV's over the last several years and work as a QA for a large aerospace company. Heartland (like most large manufacturer's) has several plants. Perhaps the plant the Greystone is being built in had a good day but the one's at the show where well trimmed, caulked, assembled and finished in the basement area. I wish i would have brought my camera, I would have taken pictures. As I said, it was a cross between a Cruiser and Open Range.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

crossroads sends a rep, all the major players send a rep, but they don't kick in any money for the space rental, it's up to the dealer to decide how much space and what units they want to bring crossroads does not have the authority to tell the dealer anything...I have heard from 2 dealers that the reason some have dropped the line is slow pay on warranty and they have dropped the time to repair.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

The dealer I bought mine from the owners are good friends of ours. They carry the full Carriage line and previously carried the full Arctic Fox/Nash lines but had to drop them becuase they had to ship from out west once Northwood closed their east coast operations. They replaced the Northwood products with Cruiser/Kingston but have not ordered anymore after their intial few batches they ordered for various reasons.

I was hoping someone else had picked up the line but fron talking to the dealers and factory Rep. it seems the Cruiser line has a very small representation in the upper Northeast. It's too bad since they have treated me right so far.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Just for your viewing pleasure, here is the model I saw at the RV show, this is not the dealership at the show but shows the pictures:

http://www.kriswillisrv.com/pre_owne...03096&nv=y#
Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Well, the St. Louis show was large as usual! Most oll of the major manufacturers were there, but not one Crossroads of any sort.

Lots of high dollar MH ($250,000) and trailers. One dealer had a good display of KZ toyhaulers, tons of TT and a couple of park models even. Not one slide in pick up camper.

Some folks have money as there were probably 20 or so units with SOLD signs on them at the show. In years past you might see 3 or 4 but not 20.

With all that said, we didn't see anything we would consider even close to the 30SK for value or what we want to use it for.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

That 29MK sure does look alot like the inside of a Open Range,I believe the hitch weight is a little over 1,900 #sWe were close to buying a 29MK last year but to me the hitch weight ismore than we wanted.They might have changed but the CrossRoadsis a better quality than the Sundance we were looking at.I like the kitchen in the 29MK,I wanted to get more counter space& wanted to get theCrossroads 30SK but my wife didn't want it,Maybe because she doesn't like to cook,LOL.