Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Got a call from Toppers yesterday that our trailer was in. We went today to pick it up about 1pm. I called earlier to get the vin # for insurance. I was told then thatwe're getting a 2012 model.

Most things were the same as the 2011 models. I did find out that the later model 2011's

ordered after the rv show came with a "piston" brace for the drivers side door for the utility access. (under the bedroom slideout). I think the factory rep got tired of everyone complaining about it at the show. I did convince toppers to order more of these. As i know several folks on here was looking for a solution to prop it open. It holds it open just below the level of the slideout above it . This is to keep from crushing the door while bringing the slide in.

I got the 2nd ac for the bedroom, thermal glass and toppers over the slideouts.

This thing pulls great.

Got it home- had a problem with the br slide not going out. Called toppers- said to bring it back in the am for repairs. Better it going out now than out on the road far from here.

The matteress is history. Going to get a pillow top of better quality.

Other than that- everything looks good.

Jimmy- i did check the slide out panel you were talking about. Mine didn't seem to have any "give" in that area.

Take care & happy camping
vickark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Congrats on the new one! If you want to convoy to Alaska, I'll hang out here in Cheyenne for a couple days to allow you to catch up. I'll check with Tony and see if I can get order a piston.

I'll be taking a break from driving in a couple of days and will fabricate a brace for that panel, I can see it wagging back and forth as I drive. How about the panel, Vic, single piece or two pieces? Thanks for checking that for me.

Your's should do great with the thermal glass. It was getting in the 80s while I was at Canyon Lake, 30s-40s in New Mexico and Wyoming the past few days, and the Cruiser has maintained a comfortable temp without a/c or furnace running a lot. The only place I've found where I have a lot of thermal transfer is a strip around the edge of the slides and the window frames.

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
JimmyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Jim- don't tempt me-LOL. I've still got to wait for my wife to retire in june.

I think they were going to get some on order. It stops the door about 3" below the slide out. The piston is a "master-lift" brand. Model m-34-50.

The side panel on mine is a 2 piece also. It has about 1/4" horizonal give to it. I may stabilize it some on the back side.

Enjoy thr trip

James p
Old 04-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks James. I made it to Toppenish, WA this afternoon and am going to rest for a few days.

I spent two nights in Wyoming - one in Cheyenne and one in Rock Springs - had cross and head winds 35 to 45 with gusts to 60, got to see a little blowing snow and some ice patches. It was slow going, ruined my mpg average, but the Cruiser pulled well and kept us snug during a windy night.

Edited by: JimmyCan

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Wefinally got to take the new 335 on a "shakedown" run this weekend to the lake. Pulled and parked great.

The mainair conditionerwas slow in cooling. Taking that in monday to get checked.

The mattress support leaves little to be disired. Found out it was cut down the middle and braced with a 2x4 flatways. Sagged in the middle. (ok, so i'm not a little fella) I'm going to look into that.

Jimmy, if you pick up the bed to access the storage underneath- pull back the mattress. This keeps it from shoving against the wall and pulling loose the connecting board.

I saw this on the Kingston forum under"bed collapse"

Other than that- we love it. Plenty of storage.

Take care- happy camping

James

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier
Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Bed is a common issue, tell the dealer to rebuild with 2x4" lumber and shot it with nails, skip the crappy staples they use. Ours did the same thing and I used beefier lumber then the 1x2" junk they built it with.

Do you have the 15K or 13.5K AC unit? Is it Dometic or Coleman?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I took a look, James, seems to be okay even though I've had the bed up a number of times. Mine has some structure and a piano hinge about an inch and a half from the wall, the same split down the middle with a 2x4 brace and 2x2 transverse supports at each end. We get some sag as well. My last camper, I slotted a couple pieces of OSB ala waterbed support and set it in the middle to support thin plywood; I will probably do the same with with this, but I've got stuff under there now. Do a vertical one to support the 2x4 and a cross piece with the center notched to accommodate it. Other models, earlier ones I think, had a tank taking up the middle of the compartment under the bed, glad they changed that.

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I did find out that the main ac problem was operator error. I had the fan on manual "hi" instead of auto. seems to work ok at toppers this morning. Oh well, it was a nice ride to waller this morning. Got rained on (going and coming), washed some of the sucidal bugs off of the trailer.

Happy camping !

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I was out yesterday afternoon and noticed a couple of loose screws, grabbed a driver and started tightening, found quite a few - not really that surprising considering the temperature extremes and vibration of traveling a couple of thousand miles. I'm going to get a ladder and some Locktite and go over the slides, where the majority of exterior screws are, before I start the next leg of my trip.

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thats a good idea Jim. It will save you from something serious later on.

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier
Old 04-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I had not seen anyone mention it in any of the forums I've read, James, but it makes sense and now I'm kind of surprised that it isn't standard advice for new owners, along with checking the lug nuts - probably on somebodies web site, I just haven't run across it yet.

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

If your going to start playing around with the screws you might as well remove them and replace them with stainless screws. The screws tend to rust after a year or so.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I think that's a good idea, but I'll wait until I'm stopped for more than a few days. The one I noticed firts, and that concerned me most, was the one at the rear corner of the kingpin box - it was no longer in the hole in the metal and that section of the panel was sagging. That's the second loose screw/loose panel problem I've found, must have done the panels on a Friday afternoon.

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

'11 Cruiser CF335SS
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Site Team

If not a Friday afternoon---then maybe, the insulation has come loose and laying down on the panels.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
Bed is a common issue, tell the dealer to rebuild with 2x4" lumber and shot it with nails, skip the crappy staples they use. Ours did the same thing and I used beefier lumber then the 1x2" junk they built it with.

Do you have the 15K or 13.5K AC unit? Is it Dometic or Coleman?
Webber- it's a 15k dometic and the front unit is a 13.5k coleman max

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier
Old 04-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Wow, with two units it ought to be like a meat locker in there! LOL.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I hope i have the main unit figured out. It seems like i had the fan on manual "hi" instead of auto. Going over to Biloxi,Ms. next weekend, we'll find out then.

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier