Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Ikes, we were on our way home from a great week camping at Turkey Run SP. Lots of good hiking & canoeing. We have to travel through the wash board exchange 80/294 coming home from Indiana. If anyone has traveled on it they know what I mean, meaning don't travel with a full stomach. (also another road is 355.) Larry, and I had our bikes mounted onto the back bumper. A truck pulled up next to us honking his horn, pointing for us to getOFF thehighway. We had a look of terror on our faces. Larry went around and found the bumper hanging down still attached thou. Thank God!!!!!My bike'sfront wheel had been scraping the pavement.torn it up. Larry had to remove the bumper put it into the camper along with the bikes. We had a local machine company weld it back on this morning so it looks like new. However No more carring bikes on the back bumper or ladder.!!!! for us that is. A Happy ending karen
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Sorry to hear about that Karen, We have not had any issues but we don't ever put more than two bikes back there. Sounds like I need to watch this a little more.

Time for a new bike
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

we only had two bike back on the rack, as far as the bike goes the only thing we need to replace is the front wheel system, so it's not a total loss. As I said we had the bumper welded backon soit look new. Karen
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

just be happy no one behind you got hurt. has to make you think the movement of your bikes had to be alot to break the bumper of the frame.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

My brother-in-law lost the bumper and three bikes. Never found them. We only hope no one was injured and that there was no property damage.

Bikes mounted to a bumper exert alot of force. Each bump makes them behave like a whip causing them to lurch forward and then jerk back, no matter how securely fastened. It is not just the weight of the bikes that is the problem, but the rotational forces on the bumper. Frankly, RV bumpers are not made to handle those stresses.

This is something my brother-in-law and I talked about. His mantra was that he had been doing it for years without any problems. All it takes is once, as he now knows. He has since moved to a frame mounted 2" receiver and corresponding bike rack. With the trailer I choose to load them under the truck cap.

If you're going to continue using bumper mounted bike racks then I hope I'm not the one following you down the road.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

The bikes will be secure inside the truck from now on. No more taking a risk. We had an angel with us that day,preventing a major accident!!!! Karen
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We are gratefull, counting our Blessing of course knowing that there was no major accident! Karen
Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Glad no one got hurt and bikes were not totally destroyed. As I posted last night we have a Hollywood bike rack. Check them out and their "No Wobble system" on some racks. I haven't seen any other racks with this system.
_popupControl();

_popupControl();

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the info we will check it out! Karen