Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are planning to purchase our first RV tomorrow! I think we'll get the Cruiser 305sk. What should we expect? It comes with a 2 + 5 warranty but I assume they'll try to sell us an extended warranty. The dealership is about an hour from our house and there is a Camping World about 20" from here. Should we get a warranty so that repairs can be made at Camping World? Camping World doesn't seem to specialize in Crossroads products. We like the dealership that we're buying it from and we could take it there if that's what's best. BTW, they change out the LED lighting in the awning right off the bat because the replacements are so much better than the factory ones. I had read about that issue on here and the salesman was impressed that I knew about that. I also asked about the schwintek slides and this model does not have those. Do you think that the awnings over the slides are important? They can be added. We are thinking of adding a fireplace-is it worth $800?

As far as the pin, etc...for the truck/FW, should we have the dealership do it or shop around for better prices? Of course we are anxious to drive it home but are willing to do what you all suggest.

Thank you so much! This is all such an educating experience!

bradswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
It comes with a 2 + 5 warranty but I assume they'll try to sell us an extended warranty.

If the dealers is telling you this make them put it in writing because Crossroads went to a 1 year only warranty about a year ago.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I would check on the VIN with CrossRoads on the 2+5 - it may have a sticker on the RV but may not have that warranty - only a 1 year warranty.

If the Camping World does not sell CrossRoads products then they may not be authorized to perform the warranty work. Check with CrossRoads on this.

I like the awnings over the slides - protects the top and seal area. I frequently camp in state parks and they keep leaves, twigs, pine needles, acorns, and animals off the top of the slides.

We like the fire place - use it to take the chill off when the furnace is not needed.

If this is your first fifth wheel - try to get a deal from the dealer on the hitch and installation.

When we went from a motor home to a fifth wheel in 2003 we had the dealer install the hitch plates in the box and purchased the hitch from them. It was part of the "deal". I still own the hitch.

We installed the hitch plates in my 2011. It was not that hard - I had to remove a heat shield under the box to install the nuts on the bolts - two person job installing the bolts/nuts. You will need the right tools for the job

I purchased the Reese custom hitch plate for my 2011 - no drilling required in the frame and provides a very strong support to bolt the hitch plates to. The installation instructions are on the web page - read them and you will see if you want to install it of have the dealer/shop do it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-...P50073-58.html

I have a husky articulating hitch with the single jaw - I like the way it wraps around the pin.

http://www.huskytow.com/product/16k-w-26k-w/

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

All of the above is very good advice. We did get the fireplace and have enjoyed it on many occasions. Youwill find varied opinions on slide toppers. Most importantly check Vin # and confirm that you have a two year warranty. Don't settle for verbal confirmation get it in writing. The unit would have to have been built some time ago. My dealer did package in the hitch. Best of luck.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

First question do you have a short box or long box. If a short box you should put in a slider hitch. I'd asked this question in the previous Fifth Wheel vs TT post you made but I'm not sure if you saw it.
http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum...th-wheel-vs-tt

Second question, do you have the Ford 5th wheel prep kit installed already (underbed mounts). If not, this is a good option to put in if you do not want rails in your bed - flush bed and full use all the time.
I installed mine myself as the truck didn't come with it, but a dealer can put it in very easily- you do need to lift the bed to install the mount but it bolts to the frame and no welding or drilling of the frame is required. If you have the prep kit it also has a 5th wheel electrical plug already mounted in the bed - not a requirement but a handy option and it can always be added later.

http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-Installation-Kit/Reese/RP30073.html

Next, if you require a slider, some of the best quality options are below - they are not cheap, but you won't be buying another fifth wheel hitch for a very long time. All of the ones below are able to mount on the Ford Reese underbed mount kit.

1) Reese Elite 18K Slider (4 motion head, heavy duty wrap around jaw, adjustable height). This the unit I have but it is the Reese Signature (name was changed toElite). You can find it cheaper than etrailer, usually the ford dealer will give you a good deal on this one. OnlyReese's Elite line of hitches from Reese work with the Reese underbed mount (formerly Reese Signature). The other Reese hitches are not designed for the underbed mount - Reese makes a ton of different styles.

http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30144.html Best built of the Reese line.

2) B&W Companion 18K Slider (4 motion head, heavy duty wrap around jaw, adjustable height). This is the unit I would have bought if available when I bought mine - the slider version has only been around a year or so.
http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/companion-slider-5th-wheel-hitch Not cheap, but high quality and works with the Reese Ford OEM underbed mount.

3) PullRite Superglide 16K automatic slider (best automatic option but doesn't have adjustable height but shouldn't be needed for the PullRite). Worry free towing, never have to think about moving the hitch into manoeuvre position as its automatic, good design. I seriously considered this option but got a great deal on my Reese.
http://www.pullrite.com/products/sup...uper-glide-16k

http://www.pullrite.com/products/oe-...2013-ford-f350 Adapter for Ford OEM underbed Reese Elite kit.

These aren't the only options but I did do a lot of research on hitches for the Ford trucks before narrowing it down to 1 and 3 above. As I said, had option 2 been available I probably would have gone that route as B&W make some of the best hitches on the market other than some of the incredibly expensive air ride hitches which don't make sense unless you get into a huge trailer and pin weight in the future.

If you don't have a short bed, options 1 and 2 above come without a slider and are very good quality hitches and are cheaper without the slider option.

Hope this helps.

And we love our fireplace but it was standard equipment on our unit, we don't use it often but my wife likes it and it looks good. You may be able to add the fireplace later yourself if it is optional. I think someone on the forum did recently and the cost was between $350 and $400 for the fireplace alone (no installation)

Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradswife

Of course we are anxious to drive it home but are willing to do what you all suggest.

Thank you so much! This is all such an educating experience!

All the previous posts are well worth paying attention to. Especially pertaining to the warranty.
Have you shopped around any to compare other brands? If you haven't, it might well be worth your time to do so. You stated (This is all such an educating experience! ) It very well can be., but I would like to advise you to slow down and not rush into something until you are 100% sure it's exactly what you want. Those campers will all be there a week or month from now. So just make sure of what you want. Make this a
educating experience, and fun experience, but not a costly mistake.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you all so much! We have done a LOT of research and now we feel like we are down to the last few decisions. I emailed some with the salesman today and he mentioned they mostly use Curt hitches- any opinion on those? They have others though, he said. We will research all the models that you all have suggested so we're prepared for tomorrow.

We actually researched TT a couple of years ago and decided to wait. This time we were still thinking of a TT but then when the 2013 305sk price was reduced to within $1500 of the Sunset Trail TT that we liked, we thought it was smart to get the FW. It does have the 2 + 5 sticker on it so we will verify that. He also said that we can use any place that repairs Thor products, which is most everywhere, including Camping World.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

If the build date was after Sept. 1, 2012 it probably only has a one year warranty. It seems there was some discussion last year about units with the 2 + 5 sticker only having the new one year warranty. Verify this, by VIN number, with Crossroads. Don't believe anyone else.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

How do I verify it with Crossroads?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Site Team

They should have a build sheet available for you. It is pasted somewhere in the RV also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
How do I verify it with Crossroads?

You can also look at the VIN sticker on the street (drivers) side of the unit. It will have a 'manufacturer date' and name/address for Crossroads. This date is either the scheduled start date for the unit or at least the Monday of the scheduled week of production.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I would bargain on the fireplace. 800 bucks is a little steep. I think I paid the dealer $350 installed for mine. Your dealer may be right when he says that your warranty is honoured at any thor dealership, but you may need to get authorization from Crossroads. Other than that, I think everyone else has good advice.
Good luck on your purchase.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Janet
There should be a sticker on the outside drivers side of the 5er with the build date on it. If that date is before Sept 2012 you should have the 2 yr. warranty, but I would still check VIN with CR.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

And if it was built before 9/1/2012 and is being sold with a 2+5 warranty that means it is at least one year old and should be priced accordingly.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Only the selling dealer is obligated to perform warranty work. It is not the same as buying a motor vehicle where every dealer of that brand is required to perform warranty repairs. If you have a dealer in mind you should contact them and explain that you purchased elsewhere and are they willing to perform the work. First and foremost it is the decision of CR if they will pay a non CR Thor dealer for warranty repairs. Don't get suckered by a dealer who makes broad but unfounded statements.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Janet
I bought a leftover 2007, 30SK in 2009. Even though the camper was 2 years old, but never titled, CR honored the 2+5 warranty. The only part of the warranty that differed was the roof. The original warranty on the roof was 12 years, but because the camper sat for 2 years in the weather until I bought it, the roof warranty was reduced to 10 years.

I beleive that was before Thor took over the company. Also when I bought the 2007 I paid less than what used 5er's with 2 slides were being sold for.Just thought you might want to know.

2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

The 2013 model that we had been looking at had been on their lot for a year so that's why it had the longer warranty. However, I am happy to say that we bought a 2014 335ss yesterday! We are so excited! We bought a Curt 20K hitch from the dealer and it will be installed this week and we get to drive home our new FW on Friday! I think we'll "camp" in the driveway next weekend so we can start figuring out how we want to set everything up. We are anxious to enjoy the fall with lots of trips! I really appreciate all of your help, and I'm sure I'll be back on here with more questions!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Congratulations, we have the 30sk and love it!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
The 2013 model that we had been looking at had been on their lot for a year so that's why it had the longer warranty. However, I am happy to say that we bought a 2014 335ss yesterday! We are so excited! We bought a Curt 20K hitch from the dealer and it will be installed this week and we get to drive home our new FW on Friday! I think we'll "camp" in the driveway next weekend so we can start figuring out how we want to set everything up. We are anxious to enjoy the fall with lots of trips! I really appreciate all of your help, and I'm sure I'll be back on here with more questions!
Congrats on the purchase and enjoy your new RV.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Good for you congratulations. Happy camping.
Go Well.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote