Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I was just putting in my bedroom slide on my 335ss which is a shwinteck setup. I have four white rollers on the bottom on which the slide move over. Just noticed that the rollers did not spin as the the slide moved over it. Was wondering if anyone else noticed this on their unit. Leads me to wonder if the rollers will eventually develop a flat spot on the tops.
2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You can read some of my posts on the issues we have had and still having with our 2012 model.

If the rollers are not spinning then the load is being carried by the ones under the bed - this is probably a good thing. The outside probably help "carry the load" when the slide is in.

If the slide is going in and out without any 'abnormal' load on the front and rear motor then things are good.

On ours to fix the problem they removed 3 of the 5 outer rollers and installed 4 under the bed. Originally there were no rollers under the bed to it dragged while the slide was going in and out. This caused the failure of the slide operating system.

Now there are 2 on each end and the fiberglass is cracking under the bed where the rollers "carry" the load when the slide goes in and out. Parts are on order - re-install the three rollers removed and install steel plates under the bed slide "exterior" so they roll on the plates. This should provide protection for the fiberglass bottom and prevent further cracking.

Rollers installed under the bed on ours - this is with the slide out. You can see them if you remove the piece of plywood at the front of the bed and when looking under the bed with the slide out. You can see then if you look under the end of the bed with the slide out.

Factory picture:

These are the rollers under the "slide" portion of the bed - pictures I sent to cross roads - these are not carrying any load when the slide is out. You can see some of the mods I made so the bed does not pull out from the wall (factory picture Vs my picture)

My picture:

Rollers - 2 placed at the end of the bed - factory picture. I can not take a picture of the end of the bed - - but if you lift the end of the bed slightly when the slide is out you should be able to touch the rollers at the end of the bed.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

To top things off. you only have a 2" piece of wood where your 3 hinges attache to the wall . that will cause the mattress to bind against the wall when you lift the mattress and plywood base thus ripping out of the wall . There should be an 8" piece of wood there to give the mattress somewhere to sit when the assembly is lifted to access the storage.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
To top things off. you only have a 2" piece of wood where your 3 hinges attache to the wall . that will cause the mattress to bind against the wall when you lift the mattress and plywood base thus ripping out of the wall . There should be an 8" piece of wood there to give the mattress somewhere to sit when the assembly is lifted to access the storage.
When I lift the bed platform I pull the mattress out about 6-8 inches to
remove the "stress" before I lift the bed/mattress platform. I probably should have performed the mod to the
bed like you did - - I forgot when I had it partially disassembled. If I had then I would not have to pull the mattress out to take the stress off.

Edited by: NorskeNY

Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Picked up the fifth wheel today. I now have 5 rollers on the outside again. the three that were removed last year were re-installed. The slide had to come out of the RV to re-install the rollers. I checked the slide operation before I left the dealer - went in and out but slower than before but still went in and out without any issues

When I got the fifth wheel home I had my wife put the slide in and out and I watched the rollers. They are not turning - they just slide against the metal plates that were installed on the fiberglass to deal with the cracking issues. I thought that the bolts through the rollers might be too tight but that is not the case. Sprayed some silicon spray on the rollers and that did not make a difference.

It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow afternoon (60 instead of 35). I'll check the slide operation again and take some pictures to post.