Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
New Camper

Black Tank Flush System

Was reading the specs for my camper (looking to resolve an issue) when I came upon this black tank flush system.

What is it? And how do I use it?

2018 Cruiser Aire 29BH
Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It's a rinse system for your black waste tank.
After you've dumped your black tank, use the flush system, it will help clean the inside of the tank and beats filling the tank from the inside. Fill the black tank and dump again.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Site Team

I use the flush system over and over until I see the water running clear. You'd be surprised how well it works. Of course, I also use the Geo system to keep tank clean.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If it has never been used before ,have someone inside when you run water into it so they can see where the leak will occur under the sink ...factory never tightens connections properly.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Don't use your fresh water hose, dont want to risk the cross contamination.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Regarding the black water flush system, it is a series of Jets inside your black water tank. I am fairly certain that it is not intended to fill your tank in order to flush it. I know mine would take a very long time to fill. I also know it works extremely well if I just leave the black water tank valve open and use the flush. That way it can spray the solids off the bottom of the tank.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to k5sat Send a message via Yahoo to k5sat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
Regarding the black water flush system, it is a series of Jets inside your black water tank. I am fairly certain that it is not intended to fill your tank in order to flush it. I know mine would take a very long time to fill. I also know it works extremely well if I just leave the black water tank valve open and use the flush. That way it can spray the solids off the bottom of the tank.

I had one installed on my Z1 and I am very happy with it. Also bought a clear connector to the tanks which allows me to monitor until the water is clear. Works great.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Team

My Cruiser did not come with one so can one be added and if so what is a good one to check into?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
It takes about 15 minutes to almost fill my black tank through the flush. I turn on the water going to it when I get ready to dump and leave it running until I have flushed the tank 2 or 3 times and the water coming from the tank is clear.

I turn on the water going to the flush and then open the valve. When the flow is down to only what's coming from the flush, I close the valve and let the tank fill again. Then I open the valve and repeat the process until the water coming from the tank is clear.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I installed this one: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...ry+tank+rinser and like the way it works. I put it in right after we bought our trailer in the fall of 2014. I see now that the reviews are not as good as when I got ours. That said, I tried it on a garden hose in a 5-gallon bucket before installing it and it worked great, putting out about 3-4 gallons per minute in a very good spray pattern. From the sound of it in the tank, it is still spraying well and spinning like mad.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Site Team

JEH412 rinser is a good one. Don't waste money on the ones that go up the drain pipe, it never reaches the tank with enough force to dislodge anything.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
SJW
Weekend Camper

I hadn't seen that one. Looks awesome, so assume it works well from your review, I enjoy my flush kit that came built on, and I got a wand with a 5 foot snake and a spinning piece on end, for when our toilet got clogged
SJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEH412 View Post
I installed this one: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...ry+tank+rinser and like the way it works. I put it in right after we bought our trailer in the fall of 2014. I see now that the reviews are not as good as when I got ours. That said, I tried it on a garden hose in a 5-gallon bucket before installing it and it worked great, putting out about 3-4 gallons per minute in a very good spray pattern. From the sound of it in the tank, it is still spraying well and spinning like mad.
We bought our first fifth wheel this summer (used) and it had a "tank rinse" on it. I tried putting water in and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. After looking at your link I would say that something is clogged up. Oh boy... i get to do plumbing again....
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbeck1 View Post
We bought our first fifth wheel this summer (used) and it had a "tank rinse" on it. I tried putting water in and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. After looking at your link I would say that something is clogged up. Oh boy... i get to do plumbing again....
There is a check valve (can’t recall the exact term) that is connected between the hose connection and the sprayer in the black tank. I’ve read about those valves being put in backwards many times. The check valves I’ve seen are usually in a bathroom under a sink, or in a wall that has access through a panel or cover, or behind the shower insert, maybe under the faucet handle area. People have turned these valves around and they begin to work as they should. Could also be a kink in the hose.

Check under your bathroom sink with a flashlight to locate it.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEH412 View Post
I’m glad you and others have given us an idea of how much water goes through these things. I generally dump, then close the valve and put water in through the flush, but only do so for about two minutes before opening. I repeat this a few times. I never walk away while doing this and don’t let it go too long. I now have a greater understanding of how long it would take to overflow (on an empty tank).

I bought a hand held tank rinser wand a few months ago, and was pleasantly surprised how well it works. I now have a dump at my property, so I’ll be doing that now and again to get the leftovers.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbeck1 View Post
Twice my flush system clogged and both times it was the screen nozzle right at the tank. I've now installed an access panel. Push up on the belly (or drop the corner of the liner) to locate the tank fitting where the flush system connects. With the tank empty remove the connecting hose and then the nozzle. You will need to remove the paper clog from inside of the stainless steel screen nozzle. Re-assemble and test.
We are careful to dump the black water before traveling; the slurry of tissue paper travels a short ways back up the hose but is blocked by the check valve / vacuum breaker. After a while you have the CLOG.
Also: you may want to use the flush system a short while before dumping the tank to get thinks moving up off of the bottom and then pull the gate. GOOD LUCK and be careful. Wear gloves, glasses and keep your mouth closed.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If it has never been used before ,have someone inside when you run water into it so they can see where the leak will occur under the sink ...factory never tightens connections properly.
I have a flush system on my Sunset Trail and ran into a problem with the valve leaking which is located in the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom. Went out and purchased a new one at the trailer shop. After reading the instructions I found out that you MUST have the water turned on to the max. If it is on a low setting the valve will leak. It may not be the cause of them not tightening the connections properly, but check it out anyway if the problem persists.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

vac breaker & check valve moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We moved the vacuum beaker and check valve to basement ceiling behind the plumbing panel. If it fails in that location the living area will be safe and dry. That was 8 years ago and the check valve and vacuum breaker are still working fine.
Of course the lavatory faucet failed and soaked all of the DW's towels. Now each and every line has a separate shut off valve, even the Thetford.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
I have a flush system on my Sunset Trail and ran into a problem with the valve leaking which is located in the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom. Went out and purchased a new one at the trailer shop. After reading the instructions I found out that you MUST have the water turned on to the max. If it is on a low setting the valve will leak. It may not be the cause of them not tightening the connections properly, but check it out anyway if the problem persists.
I have a couple of comments on the backflow valve. After three failures of the valve located under the bathroom sink and three floods inside I removed the valve and now have one attached to the hose at the outside connection. I used the type of valve that is used on outside water faucets, most CH water connections have them.
The second thing I did was to remove the fine mesh screen in the tank that kept plugging up.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

The second thing I did was to remove the fine mesh screen in the tank that kept plugging up.[/QUOTE]

You inspired me. While fixing another problem I attacked that screen. Hopefully for the very last time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.jpg (373.8 KB, 12 views)