Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Black water flush clogged again!

Good SAN-T-FLUSH but poor installation:
In 2011 our SAN-T-FLUSH quit working after traveling without completely draining the black tank. I dropped the belly liner and found that the spray nozzle in the black tank and the Check Valve under the bathroom vanity were both clogged. I called SAN-T-FLUSH and asked about the nozzle installation instructions; they stated that the nozzle is to be installed no more than 2” from the top of the tank. Our SAN-T-FLUSH is screwed into a port near the bottom of the blank tank. (Probably why it clogged so easily)
Tissue paper turns to slurry and makes it through the nozzle screen and then forms a very compact plug. Even if the tank were all but empty liquid in the tank would want to travel up the flush system hose to the check valve. I cleared the clog from the screen nozzle in the tank and then relocated the Vacuum Breaker / Check Valve assembly into the basement behind the plumbing panel. Now, if the vacuum breaker leaks it will not be doing so under the bathroom vanity.

Also our flush system leaked fresh water from the behind the water connection panel due to a bad hose splice connection. The clamps are too big for the diameter of the splice fitting and cannot be tightened evenly around the fitting. Since this hose is exposed as it leaves the basement to make its way through the frame and on to the black tank. We purchased a set of regular brass garden hose ends and moved this splice connection to the exterior of the RV. Next time the SAN-T-FLUSH quits working I can open this garden hose connection and operate the flush system if water exits from this splice then I will know that the Vacuum Breaker Check Valve assembly is working and the nozzle is clogged again.

2017. We got lazy and did not completely empty the black tank prior to traveling. I disconnected the above mentioned connection to prove that it was indeed a clogged nozzle. Tomorrow I will be installing an access panel in the belly liner and fixing the clog.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Mission Accomplished. There is now a 6”x6” access hole beneath the black tank flush nozzle and the clog is long gone. The new access hole is just like those that are under the slide motors.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Team

You are sure persistent Dave. Glad to hear you have it done, taken care of, and ready for the next clog.

By the way, that was good write up on your previous post.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You are sure persistent Dave. Glad to hear you have it done, taken care of, and ready for the next clog.

By the way, that was good write up on your previous post.

Thanks Lloyd. I would have been nice to have pictures with this post but it was a wet, miserable and dirty job. This was my first time using that plastic paste board. I kind of like it, especially because it works well with Gorilla Tape.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Here is a pic of mine after I added 2 ft to the hose as it was kinked. Looks like it is 1/2 way between top and bottom of tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kinked black tank flush .AFTER 004.jpg (63.1 KB, 9 views)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Here is a pic of mine after I added 2 ft to the hose as it was kinked. Looks like it is 1/2 way between top and bottom of tank.
You are lucky. Ours is screwed into a bulkhead fitting right at the bottom on the side-wall. Thus the problem with the nozzle.

We have plenty of hose after moving the check valve. I had attached the hose to the belly area overhead near the tank in hopes of never having another clog but it didn't work too well.

I'd like to install a Tornado Flush but there just isn't any room unless I put a hole in the top of the tank from the basement floor.