Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Black water valve actuator failed

BLACK WATER VALVE ACTUATOR: The tee handle for the black water gate valve has always been hard to push or pull so it was no surprise when it failed; open thank heavens! I was forced to employ the 3” Valterra Bladex that we carry in case of emergency. Now that the exposed ABS pipe is full of liquid; we have wrapped it in heat tape and are hoping that it does not freeze at 17º tonight. OR we can leave open the bladex and drain the black tank; just for the night.

We see that you can purchase a kit to rebuild the gate valve. Has anyone out there rebuilt the hidden gate valve?
How about installing an exposed separate 3” gate under the RV and leaving the failed gate “as is”? OR will it freeze and break?

Thank you in advance for your constructive comments.
Dayle1, Lloyd are you out there??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9176.jpg (278.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Dave, I haven't had to work on the valve you are talking about. So I'm afraid I won't be much help to you.
If the valve for the black tank is open, I would think you would be safe draining the black tank tonight.

Seems like I remember reading here that a couple of the members have dropped the cover and rebuilt one of their valves.

If you add another one that is exposed, then I think the chances of it freezing or the whole line freezing up would be more likely.

Probably limp thru the rest of your season there and it will be a good project when you have more time after getting back home.

Good luck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Site Team

It looks like you can get just about any type of valve you could want.
They also have a valve repair kit.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/rv-waste-...sjvcdadqysg9wz

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...e+valve+for+rv
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Darn Cold

I opened up the valve but left the heat tape on AND it worked good the night before.
Yesterday it warmed to 28ºand was sunny. I took the opportunity to get the crusty snow and ice removed from the slide roof and walls. Today it is supposed to warm to 48º and we will hit the road.
BUT right now at 3:15 AM it's down to 15º and the basement is at an all time low of 38º. We gotta get to a warmer climate!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Black water valve

I could tell my valve was getting harder to push in and read about a neat preventative maintenance trick. Pour a cup of vegatable oil in both black water and grey, my valves are like new now.
greenejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Dave, I haven't had to work on the valve you are talking about. So I'm afraid I won't be much help to you.
If the valve for the black tank is open, I would think you would be safe draining the black tank tonight.

Seems like I remember reading here that a couple of the members have dropped the cover and rebuilt one of their valves.

If you add another one that is exposed, then I think the chances of it freezing or the whole line freezing up would be more likely.

Probably limp thru the rest of your season there and it will be a good project when you have more time after getting back home.

Good luck.
Thanks Lloyd,

Made it home without a tank problem. Opened all of the tank gates on the coldest nights (14º F) and early the next day as the temperatures rose the gates were closed and the black tank partially filled using the flush system. The automatic heat tape stayed on full time.
Repair kit will be on order soon.