Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

A Cruiser 5th wheel in myRV park had the blackwater tank fall out the bottom. It seemed that the bracketsthat hold the tank just bent and let go. Crossroads covered the repair and a mechanic came out and replaced the tank and straightened the brackets. He then "strapped" the tank with a steel band to prevent it from happening again. That sounded like a goodmod to do before my next trip. Was wondering if anyone else had had this problem.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sure it was the black water tank? Tbese are typically formed plastic tanks with a lip that rests on the crossmembers. One crossmember is welded to the frame rails and the other is attached with four self-drilling screws. Pretty unusual for this to fail.

There have been problems with the fresh water tank, which are bigger and more flexiable. And not just on CR products. One of the straps (there were three) on my fresh water tank almost came loose a few yrs ago. I added some more plywood to keep one end from sagging and then used 6 or 7 square steel tubes to support the plywood. These were screwed in place rather than the straps that just slip into slots in the crossmember.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I did the same mod that Dayle1 did to his fresh water tank. I noticed mine sagged quite a bit when I bought it, (got it used)I pulled back the underbelly and it was the tank sagging. I took the 3straps off, then put the plywood up then 3-4 1" square steel tubbing and also screwed them to the framing. It stopped the sag thats for sure and I dont have to worry about it anymore either.

Also if that tank that fell out was at the back of the unit it more than likely was the fresh water tank.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the feedback. It was definitely the blackwater tank up near the front on a Cruiser 5th wheel 31. The crossmmember that is screwed to the frame simply bent and dropped the tank according to the mechanic. Crossroads covered the repair at the campground. The mechanic added a metal strap across the middle of the tank between the 2 supports.

Since yesterday I learned that the owners were not at the site when a neighbor noticed clear water running out of the underbelly. He turned off the water supply at the pylon and it stopped but the underbelly was sagging pretty badly. The next morning the tank dropped. The neighbor thinks the owner left the flush running because it was all hooked up with a Y fitting inside the cargo bay. Also, the neighbor thinks the owner has been driving a lot with the blackwater tank full and the supports were giving away or bending.

When I get home from this trip I will check the freshwater and also my blackwater tanks and make sure they are "healthy". Some extra support for the tanks is probably a good idea anyway.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Thanks for the update. I dropped the covering on my 2009 and the black tank support was quite robust. The fresh water tank also had a support "under" it. It makes sense that the owner overfilled and pressurized the tank hence it came loose from the supports.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

On our 08 CF323BL the bracket on my black water tank sheared the self taping screws off the tank support on the driver side. The only thing holding it up was the bracket that bolts to the frame holding the connection where the sewer hose connects. The support seems to be way too flimsey and those puney self tapping screws are not designed to hold the weight that a full tank holds. Lots of times we dry camp and have to travel some distance to find a dump station. Today I put two supports under the tank. What a cheap way of doing things. Crossroads could have a least used larger fasteners to bolt the tank supports.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Oooo. Not good. How did you catch/find it? The guy that repaired the other camper's tank put a strap across between the 2 L channels in the middle of the tank but that wouldn't stop what you had happen. I would think it would take a lot of load to shear those self-drilling screws off.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

The tank full weighs over 300 lbs. and bouncing on these roads in Louisiana i'm suprised it didn't fall out on the road. Those screws are just not sufficient for holding such weight. If the tank would have fallen out and caused an accident I would not want to be the manufacturer. I caught the problem when I went to install new tanksensors called Horst miracle probes since my tank sensors have not worked right since day one. I placed two 2x4's running under each end of the tank and screwed to frame. I never have seen something so cheaply done.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

If we are talking about the self drilling acrews that they use to attach stuff to the frame, I can't believe any of them would shear off with less than a ton of weight. You can check the specs on line. I have had my under belly open and serviced the flush nozzle and I remember some wood being used. I will recheck when the weather gets better because I am replaceing wood parts with alloy when possible to reduce weight. I have already ditched the 50 amp power cord and the accessory propane line which I will never use.

Anyway, the tank sensors are not very good and I am looking to improve mine too.