Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

blown fuse

Hi, we're on our 1st trip with our new but used 2005 cruiser 28. We have blown 2 fuses in 2 days (able to reset both times by resetting at serving terminal). The 1st time was in the bathroom using a hairdryer. The GFI didn't pop but the main did. The 2nd was in the kitchen while A/C and coffee pot was on. Am I overpowering something? Why didn't the gfi pop before getting to main fuse? Thanks for any help. The A/C was on also during the 1st blown fuse
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you are trying to use to many high wattage things at the same time. With 30 amp service you will do better to limit your usage to one at a time.

If I understand the workings of a GFI -- It should only trip in the case of a short or if it senses moisture somewhere in the line.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We just popped it again while A/C was on and tried microwave. Coffee pot was unplugged. I will check wiring junctions when we get home tomorrow. It sounds right that if there was a short it wouldn't stay reset. Thanks again.
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I moved the Ac to its own breaker, there is a lot of room in that box to add other breakers
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

GFCI's are not current sencing devices, (breakers and fuses) they sence difference in potential between neutral and ground too protect from electrical shock.
tramguage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I believe Frank has the answer. If you still have two large appliances (A/C, micro, wtr htr, etc) on the same "twin breaker" then split them into two separate breakers. This was a pretty common issue back in the 06 - 08 timeframe. You will still have to monitor your usage but this will help. I cannot run the coffee pot and DW's hair dryer at the same time...just something we check for.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I've actually backed up and tripped the main 30A breaker on the park pedestal before when using the A/C and microwave, or an iron, or the blow dryer. Especially if the A/C kicks on while you are running one of the other appliances. We've always worked around it by just limiting what we are running at once. We have an electric skillet that we often plug in to the 20A circuit on the park pedestal when we cook breakfast so that it doesn't trip the breaker to the camper while the a/c is running.

One other thing: You can buy a 30A to 50A adapter and plug in to the 50A circuit on the park pedestal. That way, you don't trip the park breaker. However, you lose some of your wiring protection from the pedestal into the RV breaker panel.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

You may want to make list of your major power hungry devices (including coffee pots, hair dryers), AC etc. Remembering that you are running on a 30 Amp circuit will help you pick and choose what devices can and cannot run concurrently. In my last trailer, I could not run the hot water heater on electric with the AC on - it would trip the Main Panel breaker every time....Live and learn....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote